• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Staying Hydrated on the course

How long are you guys playing for? Maybe if I was playing all day I would be concerned about it. But otherwise I never even think about it. However I carry a one liter aluminum water bottle everywhere I go in the summer.

I highly recommend NOT reusing plastic bottles or using nalgene type bottles at all. That plastic is bad stuff, its proven.

oh, sorry my incidents happened when I was doing long distance running for a grade or while representing my company.

You have to be hydrated before you head out and keep drinking during the round. Afterwards a couple of cold nutritious beers take care of the rest. No light stuff either; I've had enough water by then.

How long are you guys playing for? Maybe if I was playing all day I would be concerned about it. But otherwise I never even think about it. However I carry a one liter aluminum water bottle everywhere I go in the summer.

I highly recommend NOT reusing plastic bottles or using nalgene type bottles at all. That plastic is bad stuff, its proven.

Most times when I get out to play I play at least 36 holes, and in the summer I'm often playing 80+ holes. If I just go out for a round or two in the evening I don't worry nearly as much about it since I'm pretty careful to drink water all day, it's just those long days of discing where I get in trouble if I'm not conscious of hyration.

I thought that a lot of the research was trending toward BPAs being mostly dangerous around very young children and possibly expectant/nursing mothers, and much less of an issue for healthy adults.

I work outside and used to drink quite a bit of Gatorade. According to my doc I should limit it to one quart a day spaced out over the entire day. The rest of my drinking should be water. (I often add lime juice.) If it's real hot, I'll also take aspirin before the work day starts and maybe at lunch. It keeps your blood thin and you'll feel cooler because of it. I carry a three gallon cooler and will have to refill it every two days in the summer. Also from my doc, if during the summer you're not peeing a few times a day, your not drinking enough.

I like to keep 2 Nalgene bottles (32oz) of water with me on the course. I normally don't have any problems becoming dehydrated on the course, and I'm a big guy, because I am drinking throughout the day. I probably drink at least 6 Nalgenes bottles worth of water a day. When I am home I normally put in one of those Crystal light packets.

I haven't tried it out with disc golf but before I workout I drink a Gatorade Prime and can notice a considerable difference in my endurance on the days that I forget to grab one before hand. Doesn't really help with hydration but should help energy levels.

That a lot of disc! Hydration would be important for that long of a time. Better hope the course has water eh?

I hate how most courses in California usually dont have drinkable water near by.

I carry two nalgenes in the bag, and a big couple gallon jug of ice water in the car for refills.

I have been an endurance athlete for most of my life, and I would say that they key is to drink early and often. It doesn't really even matter what you are drinking (though things like Beer or Pop are not ideal), just that you are. Taking a few swallows out of the water bottle every other hole is usually a pretty good rule of thumb. You don't want to just inhale the entire bottle when you start to get thirsty.

And the worst place I have ever been for dehydration is when it is 90+ degrees with a bit of wind at 5000+ ft of elevation and 0% humidity. You just sweat all of your fluids out, but you don't notice because it evaporates so fast. You dry out really fast.

^^^^^ Live in Texas (and NC and SC and MS) played in CO. and elevation + sun can be way worse than humidity and heat.... Not to take anything away from the great noble tradition of southern heat; if I may have it both ways.

I stick with water for the most part and usually drink about 40 ounces per 18. Unfortunately, sometimes I wait too long and end up chugging more than I should. One of my goals this summer is to start hydrating better with everything I do (hike, bike, disc golf, softball...).

I like having some of the Gatorade G series drinks in the car for after a round to help refill electrolytes and all that. But during a round, it's all water. Trying to decide on a new bag for this year with the idea of being able to comfortably carry a 27-ounce and a 40-ounce Klean Kanteen with my discs and such.

then you wouldn't mind providing a source for this info would you?

Latest posts