• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Step putt *inside* the circle

burdphil

Eagle Member
I'm right handed but I drive mostly with my left hand due to the fact that my right shoulder is pretty much effed. I can't putt left handed however, and when putting right handed I have a hard time getting any lift on the disc because I can barely raise my hand above my shoulder without it "locking".

What I've found is that if I take a small step forward while putting, I am able to generate enough momentum to get the disc to the basket from anywhere inside the circle. Now I know it's not legal to step over my lie obviously, but if, when I step forward, my foot plants directly *behind* my lie as I release the disc, is that OK?

If I read the official rule on putting, it seems to me that this method *could* be legal, but hopefully someone who knows more than I do can confirm or clarify the ruling...

Putting: Any throw from within 10 meters of the target, as measured from the rear of the marker disc to the base of the target, is a putt. Supporting point contact closer to the target than the rear edge of the marker disc after the disc has been released is a stance violation. The player must demonstrate full control of balance before advancing toward the target.

As long as you stay behind your lie through the entire motion, until demonstrating full balance, then it's legal.

^^^^^^^^^^What he said.
As long as you plant within 10 cm behind the disk and you don't go past, you should be okay.

Someone called me on that during a tournament. My first PDGA tournament. He was a TD (not of that event), but I still sat there for a couple minutes telling him I was pretty sure he was wrong. Figured I better not do that for the rest of the tournament. Later found out it was 100% legal (he did too).

Doesn't Wysocki do something similar to this?

I think Wysocki has his plant foot directly behind his marker at all times, he just steps to the side with his other foot. I'm talking about starting well behind the lie and then stepping up to it as part of the putting motion...

Could maybe be argued you are not demonstrating balance inside the circle but pretty sure its been said before your could do a handspring and 360 before as long as you followed what initially quoted from pdga.

Chuck?

Could maybe be argued you are not demonstrating balance inside the circle but pretty sure its been said before your could do a handspring and 360 before as long as you followed what initially quoted from pdga.

Chuck?

The rule is simply that you must demonstrate balance before advancing past your lie. It doesn't matter what you do behind your lie.

Right im just saying if hes walking forward and not stopping perfect or fast someone could see it wrong. Not that its actually illegal

this is similar to QA45 on page 22 about a crooked straddle.
So it is legal as long as a supporting point is appropriately on the lie at time of release, and of course you are demonstrating balance behind the lie before advancing towards the basket

I have a friend who putts like this all the time. People try to call foot fault on him the first time they see it because they think he is stepping past his lie and it looks awkward, but his foot is always right behind his lie. He gets good momentum toward the basket with that putt. I tried it, but I just couldn't get that timing down to be successful.

I would take steps prior to starting a round with your group of informing them of your "odd" putting style. That will reduce the chances of them mistakenly calling you for a fault. But be aware, this will cause more scrutiny on your putt and foot fault, balance, etc than others. But if it is what works so you can play, and is within the rules, then by all means go for it.

I would take steps prior to starting a round with your group of informing them of your "odd" putting style. That will reduce the chances of them mistakenly calling you for a fault. But be aware, this will cause more scrutiny on your putt and foot fault, balance, etc than others. But if it is what works so you can play, and is within the rules, then by all means go for it.

Good points. If I end up having to do this in tournaments, a pre-emptive rules strike will probably be necessary...

The only issue I see is the potential argument that your foot isn't on your lie at release, but that's only because I haven't seen you throw so I'm having a hard time picturing what it looks like. I'm picturing it being a bang-bang kind of thing with your foot hitting the ground at the same moment you are releasing the disc. In that case, it's the same argument that some make about jump putts (whether the foot is on the ground or in the air at release) and just as difficult to prove with absolute certainty without slo-mo video evidence.

If it isn't that ambiguous and your foot is clearly down before you let go, then there's nothing to worry about.

Latest posts