• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Still trying to find 450 ft golf shots

Snailpowered

Par Member
I have been playing for about 5 years and when I fire on all cylinders my shot making ability is quite good, but I lack the distance to keep up with the big boys. I know that Im lacking arm speed to generate the big distance along with the ability of throwing nose down, I just dont understand how to accomplish this with a flat to slight hyzer release as that is my preferred throwing style. Im also curious if my follow through, when I step behind myself on my follow through is poor form and Im trying to catch my balance because something is off. Thanks guys!

You lean too far back over your rear leg in the reachback, so you are losing your posture in the backswing and not staying on the inside of your instep of the foot. You end up leaving your lower body behind as you have to throw your upper body forward. Keep your posture more upright and centered/balanced dynamically. Centered rotational axis is much faster and you can maintain more torque.

I want to fully understand what you are relaying, so I am going to try and recap what your saying.

I am not keeping my weight stacked on my spine because of an over exaggerated reach back where I lean over my rear foot too far, not keeping my weight on the instep of my foot. Which in turn is causing me the need to break at my waist and teeter to get my weight over my front foot, rather than using "the move" to slide my weight and spine through to my front foot. Is this correct?

Here are a few more questions for you guys (atm Sidewinder) if you dont mind, a simple yes or no answer is fine unless your feeling froggy.
~Am I bracing my weight (correct hip/femur position) when I enter the power zone, even though the steps leading to it are incorrect and causing low torque?
~Does it look like I have the hit or snap motion in my arm movement correct?
~Am I getting enough leverage on the disc, as I feel that the disc rips out of my grip very early (7:30 position) rather than at my max arm extension (8:30 position if viewed from over head and 9:00 is directly towards the target)?
~ For my amusement, what would you guesstimate my arm speed is at in mph, and if I correct this part my form what could it potentially be?

Correct.
- Not quite. In the finish your spine is folded(collapsed) over the front leg. You jam the front hip instead of clearing into an upright posture finish position. It the same issue in the backswing on the rear leg. Not surprising because it should be the same motion both ways.
- You get the elbow forward, but your shoulder never slows/braces so the whole arm doesn't fully release targetward. Your full arm release is out toward the right of the target.
- See above.
- I'd estimate it's currently around 52mph. Potential around 65mph.

Yep, folding over makes your swing come down over top the disc.

I want to fully understand what you are relaying, so I am going to try and recap what your saying.

I am not keeping my weight stacked on my spine because of an over exaggerated reach back where I lean over my rear foot too far, not keeping my weight on the instep of my foot. Which in turn is causing me the need to break at my waist and teeter to get my weight over my front foot, rather than using "the move" to slide my weight and spine through to my front foot. Is this correct?

Dead on right!

You're a big guy and that gives you the keys to a huge amount of leverage.

Correct.
- You get the elbow forward, but your shoulder never slows/braces so the whole arm doesn't fully release targetward. Your full arm release is out toward the right of the target.

You don't have to point the elbow at the target as pronounced as McBeth, but you have let your brace effect your arm. Let the stopping of you weight transfer all the force into the arm so that the elbow gets driven into the position of leading your shoulder.

With that arm hauling ass forward, if you're keeping your hand on the outside of the disc, you'll be able to rip the ever loving poop outta that leverage.

Well between getting home this evening and getting my son ready for his bath I get a few throws in before it started to storm.
I really concentrated on keeping myself from folding over at the waist and to get the move incorporated into there some where. My timing definitely felt off, I also couldnt feel any kind of weight being created to release but the discs were flying surprisingly far for only putting about 60 percent into each throw, as I was more worried about the technique that power.
Here is a couple vids of the 6 shots

You are leaning back and lifting your front leg up instead of staying upright and turning/loading back and striding your front leg forward. Your rear knee needs to be forward of the toes to load the hip. You also need to turn back much later.

I did notice in one of the throws of mine a slight pinch in my upper and outer glut very close to my hip bone. Was that possibly from me loading my hips correctly and I am not used to that posture? Ill work on it some more tomorrow and try to post more vids.

Is there a particular tell tail sign or feeling that will let me know that I am on the right track while out in the field? Im also going to bring a hammer to throw as well

It will feel pretty weird/different. Right hip/butt will be sore(muscle sore not joint) later and left groin/quad/calf. More compact but powerful. Also you should be turning back all the way until your front foot plants, it's going to feel very late turning back.

Hear is a quick video from today, I went to go out and do some field work but ended up getting roped into playing with a few guys that I rarely get to play with. I do notice since watching this video that I am still reaching back too early and I am not staying in from of my rear foot. That said, what I am doing does seem to have a very explosive action to it even though I am not getting the feeling that I am loading my hips up. I know this doesnt equate to much since I still havent figured the new form out but I was very consistent getting my driving putter out to about 300-310 (DecoDye Pure) but towards the end of the second round today for s&g's I popped my putter out on a 90% pull to around 340, released on a ever so slight hyzer line and flew like a frozen rope... so im thinking I am getting closer, or at the very least my arm speed is up a little bit. Nough rambling, heres the short video, pick it apart!

Im also seeing that I am not getting my rear knee to drop in order to begin the building of hip torque. looking at yesterdays video and todays I really didnt improve on anything.... bummer.

Some improvement, just more of the same practice.

I did notice in one of the throws of mine a slight pinch in my upper and outer glut very close to my hip bone. Was that possibly from me loading my hips correctly and I am not used to that posture?
I worked with HUB on saturday on loading the hips correctly and my RF hip flexor and glutes have been pretty sore. After 20 yrs throwing a disc, I finally experienced what it feels like to actually generate power from the lower body.

Im also seeing that I am not getting my rear knee to drop in order to begin the building of hip torque. looking at yesterdays video and todays I really didnt improve on anything.... bummer.

You did improve on staying more upright and generating rotational force vs. body thrown forward.

Slowing your x-step down will likely help you avoid this:

nzl24Mv.gif

And that ^^ is not helpful to keeping rotational acceleration AND being balanced through an axis.

Add 1 step in and brace, then add 2 steps in and brace.

I worked with HUB on saturday on loading the hips correctly and my RF hip flexor and glutes have been pretty sore. After 20 yrs throwing a disc, I finally experienced what it feels like to actually generate power from the lower body.

I approve of this message. :D

Latest posts