• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Still trying to find 450 ft golf shots

I worked with HUB on saturday on loading the hips correctly and my RF hip flexor and glutes have been pretty sore. After 20 yrs throwing a disc, I finally experienced what it feels like to actually generate power from the lower body.

What did you guys do specifically?

What did you guys do specifically?

So he was reverse pivoting on his back foot so that it gave all the torque in his hips an way out of the system. Once I saw that back heel spinning backwards, we started trying to shift weight in a way that he'd push from the instep.

I asked if he'd ice skated or skied before, to imagine engaging the inside edge - but he had not.

So then we went with the idea that he was sliding on a wood floor in his socks, pushing off one side of the hallway, to glide across and brace against the other side.

Couple dudes just hopping back and forth in a field. Pretty funny.

But he's holding a disc, and as he shifts to the front brace, pulls through and cracks a great stand still shot. I think the light went on pretty hard right there.

But as you start to remove the leaks on your hip torque, you are going to feel the strain in those hip muscles!

Got out on the ball golf course again tonight to throw and was really struggling, timing was way off, lots of early releases... pretty frustrating. Took a quick break and went back at it with more of the Brinster hop that I used a while back before converting to the X step, things felt much better. Im guessing with my weight it was causing be to bend my knees a bit more as I landed. So the last few throws felt pretty good as I was saying, unfortunately Wife-cam did not come out there with me tonight so no video. When I was making those last few throws it felt like,(again felt like, probably looked very different) I was emulating Wigging Jr. I say this because my left hand would always fly straight forward like I was trying to knock someone out that was standing in front of me on my follow though, and this reminds me of when Dave throws a putter or mid shot. Ill be back at it tomorrow as its my only day off and try and get some video.

Got out on the ball golf course again tonight to throw and was really struggling, timing was way off, lots of early releases... pretty frustrating.

So early release can be (believe it or not) a good sign!

It gets much harder to hold a disc later into a late accelerating pull. I can BARELY hold a Destroyer anymore. The rim is too wide for me to contain the forces that are getting generated.

You'll start clamping down like a monster right at the end and then when it ejects, you'll get some amazing throws.

So, in the meantime, try throwing mids or lower speed drivers (thinner rims).

At one point in time, about 35 lbs lighter ago i was hitting 420 430 golf lines regularly, so I think that it was more that i was trying to accellerate too quickly which was causing the early releases. I tend to only throw speed 10 regularly but carry 2 higher speed drivers for headwind shots. So that said, the early releases were comming from me throwing my Saints and Saint Pros yesterday. I have never had great arm speed, but my ability to accellerate late in my throw has allowed me to do as well as i have. Today was much of the same frustration as yesterday. It is really throwing off my timing not reaching back like i used to. But im commited to this new form, and i am a very stubbern person, so ill get there eventually.

Stubborn is good when fixing form. I'm as stubborn as they come... sometimes I think that was the only thing that dragged my sorry butt out to the field everyday.

I think one way you can think about it during practice is you want that plant foot to brace your body against that plant foot in a way that is going to stop you from stepping through at all.

Posture is key to that. It was a big moment to me when I realized it was exactly like if I was to shoot a hockey slap shot.

Only instead of bending a hockey stick, you want your weight shift to move up your body into your arm.

Going back to the why we are bracing against the plant foot in the first place: to create a tilted axis to rotate around. If your hitting the plant and going past it, then you left leverage on the table that you could have used for whipping your arm out even faster.

I would put money on the fact that MOST players who can get into the power pocket correctly could take 2 short steps and hit the exact same distances - because most of the time, we have a limited amount of force we can transfer into arm speed.

Lots to chew on... I find it helpful to keep the "why" we're doing stuff in our minds - so that it helps to make sense of things.

Ryan is doing everything right here in "the move", posture is athletic/compact and stacked shoulders over hips over knees. His front side is braced closed with his shoulder lined up against the knee and foot and his rear arm is forward. He is swinging right through his center core or power pocket and his weight has left the rear side with the heel up leading the toes and knee/femur under the rear hip.

Snailpowered here has to swing around his core to attempt to get there and/or reverse pivot. Balance/posture is leaning too far over the feet and knees so the shoulders are not stacked over the hips or knees. Weight is still on the rear leg and the knee is extended away from the hip. Pull through is high and around to try and compensate.

Here are the vids from today. I feels as though I am driving myself out the front of my stance with my rear leg as it extends. I dont feel the bracing or loading of the hips. I do notice that I am not as perpendicular to the target as the video that was posted above my HUB. I also cannot find a comfortable way to get my hips and butt that far behind my front knee and maintain balance. Any tips for that? What I can feel if myself driving my hips forward with my rear foot, what I cannot seem to replicate is the dropping of the knee that I see in a lot of videos, so tips for that...? I dont know what at this point I need to be focusing on in my set up, I feel like I have the front foot forward and the reach back are equal and opposite, but when I plant before reaching back I get all wonky.
Thanks guys

I don't know if you will figure this out without working a standstill because you stride so long you can't keep any torque/leverage as you plant. You need to maintain your posture and center and stop leaning back/collapsing the rear knee. Your rear knee is collapsed during the stride. Notice Paul's whole center of mass is much more forward from his rear brace with his knee right forward of the ankle and his posture is stacked and balanced striding forward and still turning back. You can see Paul's rear knee moving forward under the hip as his weight has totally left the rear leg and the heel up.

Understood, damn this is frustrating. Im going to try and also rig up something to a wall which forces me to not reach back further than my rear foot on my reach back in order to keep my weight forward and not breaking my ankle so that I can try to break the muscle memory I have of this dreaded reach back along with do some stand still throws again. Standing still and throwing feel so counter productive, but Im assuming that is because I am using momentum instead of torque to drive my body.
Im trying to see the light at the end of this metaphorical tunnel here so please bare with my redundant questions, after/if I can figure this out, how much more will I have to change or modify to get the results Im looking for? Or is this a question that cant really be answered until that moment in time?
Thanks again

Understood, damn this is frustrating.

Im assuming that is because I am using momentum instead of torque to drive my body.

this and this.

we're in the same boat right now, brotha. i'm rebuilding too and my problem is exactly that^. now i'm lucky to hit 400' which before was reachable every time. hang in there. :hfive:

So I was just doing some more field work, doing stand still throws and single step throws. With my single step throws I was more or less having to fall into the plant, is this right? Also, during all of the throws, if I pulled through my core all of my throws came out on a very extreme hyzer, to the point where I would almost call it a slight spike hyzer. If I allowed myself to pull higher, just under my chest they would come out on a slight hyzer and fly a bit more conventionally. I was throwing Judges and Suspects if that has any bearing.

Also, from a standstill, when trying to get into proper position I was trying imagine as though I was pulling on the inside of a door jam, and then drive my hips around pushing off with my rear foot. But this doesnt seem correct, Ill watch some of SW22 other videos.

Falling depends. It should only be an inch or two of fall because your foot and balance should be gliding just over the ground. "Best Downswing Weightshift" really covers this sensation.

I didn't necessarily mean to pull through lower in your case. You need to angle your arm/disc and bend/balance and position your body better to create a better power pocket and swing through it instead of out and around your body looking a view from behind like post #29 above with the orange lines showing how far out of alignment your foot and knee is to your shoulder. I'd also check your grip and disc alignment.

Also, from a standstill, when trying to get into proper position I was trying imagine as though I was pulling on the inside of a door jam, and then drive my hips around pushing off with my rear foot. But this doesnt seem correct, Ill watch some of SW22 other videos.
Part of the problem with the door frame drill is where people are setting up and this needs to be adjusted by the person to get the feeling of all your weight through your core pulling the door frame straight toward the target, not your arm. If you are setup too far away or too close, or too right or too left to the door it makes a difference. Move your feet around and your posture and depth of reachback and find where you get most leverage straight out without exerting effort. I don't focus on driving my hips "around" or "spinning" at all. You don't need a big hip turn. Only focus on driving the rear knee/hip/weight forward and clearing/balancing on the front hip.

Got out again today for a little field work, Took a few videos. First is of one step throws, and second was with a slight run up. I was told by a friend of mine that if I use the Brinster hop then I usually dont get the disc as far behind my rear foot, as compared to my X-step.
Now for my questions, should my hips clear before my shoulders do, vice versa, or shoulders then hips? And, based on some of the videos that have been posted to help me out, I can feel the brace happening if I keep my rear foot on the ground (like in the video) on a one step, is it beneficial to do the same on a x-step as well? As it is much harder to do so when using the x-step, I say harder to do so but I cant seem to do it.

Hips are sliding way left. Start in a stance shoulder width apart or a little more and then load back in the backswing bringing the front foot back to the inside and stride your body forward(not left). Or start in the same stance as the hershyzer drill(you start in the opposite position).