• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Straight Driver in-between Destroyer and Teebird

Lots of good suggestion already. The Thunderbird was billed as "longer Teebird", so it naturally would be at the top of the list.

If you like a bit of glide, try a Lat64 Saint.

For something a bit more stable/straight, but not as understable as a Sidewinder or even a Valk, give the Viking a shot. Underrated disc. Mr. Dave Dunipace himself said so.

Then my first suggestions probably won't work.
PD
Avenger
Starfire
Thunderbird
Might be worth a look then

If you have thrown both, Does the PD seem to be more overstable then a thunderbird or about the same?

I didn't like how super flat my thunderbirds were, did not feel great in my hand

If you have thrown both, Does the PD seem to be more overstable then a thunderbird or about the same?

I didn't like how super flat my thunderbirds were, did not feel great in my hand

I threw both for a little while. My Pd stayed straighter longer and faded less. I had a champ Thinderbird and a p-Pd. Both new and max weight. My c line Pd fades more than my thunderbird tho. I'd say either go with an sline Pd or if you like the thunderbird, get a gstar. They are more known for less fade out of the box

Thanks for all the recommendations. I think I'm in-between ordering a S PD or a Tesla at the moment, gonna do a bit more research or maybe try them both out :)

Thanks for all the recommendations. I think I'm in-between ordering a S PD or a Tesla at the moment, gonna do a bit more research or maybe try them both out :)

Both would be good to try. I liked the Tesla better than the PD, but that's only because the PD just didn't feel right in my hand.

^ this is also a great option.. im gonna put a zipper top Qolf back in today see if it can rival my Champ Thb

I would really recommend you take a look at the olf as well. In the Q plastic (champ) it will be very stable for a long time, the sirius (star) and millenium (pro) will beat in to work lines a bit more.

Another I feel under rated disc is the discraft crush. Solid straight and stable flight path and good against the wind as well

This is a slot I have been searching for. Here are my finds. Most recent. Axiom Wrath. I'd give it 10.5/5/-0.5/2.25 It handles power and wind, but overall goes very straight, fast and has a hearty fade to rely on. I really like it. Other discs in this zone for me:::
Starfire - L
Starfire - beat up a lil bit is great
Discmania CD - thinner rim, but straight and zippy and stable...like a faster teebird really

Honorable mentions::
Wraith...but for me its almost too close to the speed 12
Thunderbird....great disc, but needs a good arm to make it go straight and stay, nice overall disc tho, i still bag one just in the speed 9 category
Viking. Classic, new Savant will be close

This is a slot I have been searching for. Here are my finds. Most recent. Axiom Wrath. I'd give it 10.5/5/-0.5/2.25 It handles power and wind, but overall goes very straight, fast and has a hearty fade to rely on. I really like it. Other discs in this zone for me:::
Starfire - L
Starfire - beat up a lil bit is great
Discmania CD - thinner rim, but straight and zippy and stable...like a faster teebird really

Honorable mentions::
Wraith...but for me its almost too close to the speed 12
Thunderbird....great disc, but needs a good arm to make it go straight and stay, nice overall disc tho, i still bag one just in the speed 9 category
Viking. Classic, new Savant will be close

I looked into the Wrath, and it looks nice but still a little fast for what I'm looking for. Same reason I am hesitant on the Tesla, which as listed as a speed 11 in some places.
The star fire looks like the same disc as the PD, but I'm not sure i have not thrown either.
Maybe ill have to try the thunderbird out again one of these days, but I'd only buy if i got it in store to make sure it feels good in the hand.

I was throwing a Distract undertaker in this place in the past, but seemed like if i really laided into it would turn over a bit more then I wanted. It has the same flight characteristics as the CD/Escape/Viking, which is why I am also hesitant to try them.

The discs with 0 turn seem to by my favorite when it comes to my straight flyers

^^^^
This

I haven't had a chance to throw a star orc, but I'm not a huge fan of my champion one. To be fair though, I generally don't like hard champion plastic in any disc. doesn't seem to feel good or have any glide

Axiom WRATH is like a less hard fade Tesla. It's probably more of what you're looking for .
I have a Tesla and a Wrath. I like them both, both can be aimed anywhere, the first 80% or so of flight with the Wrath is straight or where you aim it then it has a kick of fade. the Tesla, very similar, maybe an earlier fade, just as hard if not harder. Both are good options :thmbup:

If not so fast then, yeah the CD, Viking (Savant), Millenium, i forgot the name, but i think OLF because ppl posted it, its like an ealy version of Thunderbird, its decent fo sho

Starfire is 10/4/0/3 But if you have good power will fly more like 10/5/-0.5/2 Its an oldie but a goodie and its available in a lot of plastics, I like a nice worn in Champion plastic. For real, Strafire is a nice Speed 10 that will get good distance, but not a bomber, straight with power, handles wind, but not really super OS. 172 Champ starfire and wear it in, is $$$$$$$

Thunderbird/PD will get you somewhere in the middle, but will fly closer to a Teebird than a Destroyer.
Discmania DD would also fit the bill, but will have more characteristics of a Destroyer without as much of the left to right movement.

Latest posts