• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Straight Mids that power down well

grotto

Double Eagle Member
What's your favorite straight flying powered down finesse mid? What do use for those low ceiling 175-250ft shots, or for high wind finesse approach shots that need to go pretty much straight and you don't want to have just dump off?

Looking for a few new ideas as I was eaten alive by the wind yesterday which basically made throwing a putter or my Comet worthless. Had 3 low ceiling holes especially that were from 220-245ft, that need a straight or slight annie BH (no option for a FH as there are trees in the way) that were frustrating the heck out of me.

I ended up going with my Mako for the second round and it seemed to hold up pretty well. Tried powering down a beat Roc, but the rim is too thin for me when I try to power it down, I end up shanking it more often than not.

So what do you use for these shots?

Z Buzzz or a Pig depending on how strong 5he wind is

I usually use a Harp and FH it, but it sound alike a lucid Truth might be what you are looking for. Still finishes fairly straight even when you power it down. Kaxe Z could work too.

Envy. The Envy may fade late, or early for a tail wind, but other than that, wind seems to affect it little. I also can get mid range distance with the Envy.
It was windy here yesterday as well and I was using my Neutron Envy for many of my Comet shots....although I did putt some with the Comet as the wind was making my Atom air bounce.

Simply put, the Comet and the Envy are the two best discs ever made... Or at least that I have thrown.

Last edited:
I like a seasoned Proton Envy or a seasoned Proton Axis for those duties. Sometimes I might also choose a Proxy but not if the wind is too strong.

I've been using the Wombat for these shots lately with a lot of success. It flies straight at 150 ft of power or 250 ft. Very fun disc to throw.

I use my beat n envy the fade is almost gone, but it still laughs at wind and holds true in the hss portion of the flight. If I need more distance or a low ceiling g a reach for my domey warship. Surprisingly still stable enough to handle wind and gets out there pretty far with little effort.

I have a Champion Spider lying around, I'll dig it out and do some field work again. Supposed to be windy again today, so to the football field I'll go!

They need to finish as straight as possible powered down, so the Pig is out. No Pig I have ever thrown finishes straight.

The Truth is my main mid, but on a 200ft shot, it dumps too much at the end of it's flight.

I'll give the Tangent, Theory and Envy a feel next time I'm disc shopping

I was throwing a Proxy in conditions just like you described yesterday, and it handled every wind I faced without drama.

The Spider's a pretty beefy mid. Doubt that's going to help you start and finish straight. The beat DX Gator would be the better choice in his example.

Last edited:
I have a Champion Spider lying around, I'll dig it out and do some field work again. Supposed to be windy again today, so to the football field I'll go!

They need to finish as straight as possible powered down, so the Pig is out. No Pig I have ever thrown finishes straight.

The Truth is my main mid, but on a 200ft shot, it dumps too much at the end of it's flight.

As we are both Comet lovers, I am going to suggest not going the Theory route. While it is a fine driver, it is not a 'true'disc in the sense that it behaves consistently with different throws. It is very nose angle sensitive and will dump early if one tries to glide it as opposed to snapping it. I hope you understand what I mean, more of a locked wrist upshot for control

Since the wind was the problem, the answer would all depend on what type of wind is was. In an extreme headwind, a Pig actually would go straight whereas in a tailwind even a Comet out Colt might fade a little. Crosswinds are a bit more tricky, but I think the answer you're looking for depends on where the wind was coming from on the shots you had problems with.

"Powering down" and "winds" are almost contradictory statements, but this is what I do:

Into the wind - Roc3, thrown straight and fairly low. Maybe a Colt, again thrown straight and fairly low. An MVP Vector is similar to a Roc3. The wind will tend to lift the disc, so try to not get the nose up too much.

With the wind - this tends to knock discs down, so a higher glide disc such as a Wombat/Foxbat, maybe a Leopard or a River, maybe a Tangent or an Axis. Caution: if the wind shifts and catches that Foxbat/Wombat, the disc will turn over practically into a U-turn. I've had some wonderful shots with the Foxbat, and some extremely ugly horseshoe throws.

Crosswinds. For (RHBH throws) Left-to-Right wind, I'd throw the Roc3 on a (slight to moderate) hyzer. For Right-to-Left winds, a Mako3 thrown firmly and NOT thrown too high.

IMHO, "powering down" on a windy day tends to leave one's discs at the mercy of said winds, especially as the disc loses steam and begins its fade-out/dump to the ground. So I'd still throw pretty firmly, knowing that wind in one's face or one's back can take some distance off.

My Protege Ghost is worn-in to a straight flyer now, not much turn or fade. I wish it would stay in this sweet spot forever. It's the perfect disc for what you're describing.

Tried powering down a beat Roc, but the rim is too thin for me when I try to power it down, I end up shanking it more often than not.

My Protege Ghost is worn-in to a straight flyer now, not much turn or fade. I wish it would stay in this sweet spot forever. It's the perfect disc for what you're describing.

Ghost=Roc

I throw a seasoned Proline Squall

Envy. The Envy may fade late, or early for a tail wind, but other than that, wind seems to affect it little. I also can get mid range distance with the Envy.
It was windy here yesterday as well and I was using my Neutron Envy for many of my Comet shots....although I did putt some with the Comet as the wind was making my Atom air bounce.

Simply put, the Comet and the Envy are the two best discs ever made... Or at least that I have thrown.

Pretty much this. Except I've never thrown a Comet. I putt with my Envy too, so wind is rarely a problem other than my own form.

If I need more distance in the wind than the Envy gives me I'm reaching for a Crave.