• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Straight to Fade Max Distance Driver?

I guess that its my noodle mentality that wants to recommend the Flow. Nice glide and for me, stays straight for quite a while. I only throw 345' though.

It's a big rim, but the World is actually good here and and TP Giants are also very good.
Do you mind gyro? If not the Octane is not bad at all.

For me the answer is ::: (besides the easy - destroyer - response, which is not a bad idea)

Pinnacle Outlaw

Neutron Octane

Those 2 discs have been "competing" for the spot, honestly it depends on the course/conditions as to which I may bring, and many times I bring both, to me a 1st run Outlaw is darn overstable but great, newer Outlaws have the almost -1 turn, but not much and nothing to fear ripping into a wind (unless its lightweight and icon plastic)

The Octane is like a Slightly worn Star Destroyer, its still plenty Stable/Overstable. I really like the Neutron Octane. And I really like the Pinnacle Outlaw. Both are about 12/5/-1/2 with a lot of power or 12/5/0/2.5 for avg throwers

There are a lot of discs like this im sure but these 2 have been working really well and I like them so that's my 0.02 ;)

Oh yeah, great suggestions all around. I'm open to anything; Gyro, foreign, Innova/DC, new hotness, oldie but goldies, you name it. If it helps I'll give a bit more info on me: Can't say what my max D is for sure but on days I'm feeling spry I've gotten close to 400' if not just, if tee signs are to be trusted. Minimum D is at least 330' probably, with an average ~ 350-360' I'd say. I don't really throw distance lines much so these are generally golf lines. I have little mitts but I can put up with rims as wide as a King but I prefer widths closer to Trespasses, Swords, Photons, etc. I usually have my distance drivers around 168g but I'm fine with going heavier if it keeps the HSS better since I'm looking for line shaping more than max distance with this.

I've got two seasoned VIP Giants, 2-3 Photons, and a VIP Boatman with a really high PLH that I'll try out for this currently. Definitely going to look into TP Giant depending on if the VIPs glide enough for me and the S-DD (I throw PDs and really like the feel of the anhyzer top, hate that the DDx isn't working out for me).

Would the Defy fit into this role? The Photons are nice but I like to add more Axiom to the bag if I can just because the loud colors are easier to find.

Thanks.

Came here to say Wraith. I enjoy Champs/Glows for that HSS.

Agreed. Every max weight Champion Wraith I've ever had has been plenty OS. Stays that way for a while too. Just picked up a production Champion Glo Wraith from a tournament which I think would be a good pick here.

Defy is very similar to Photon. A proton defy will probably be about 12/5/0 to -.25/2... come to think of it that's about what you want so that would definitely work for you.

Esp force.

My distance driver setup right now is Z Forces and Proline Hurricanes. When I get a chance to get some new plastic, SP Hurricanes and ESP Forces will get in there too. The Hurricanes finish straighter than Forces, but have the same feel and similar HSS. Flex Hurricanes, though . . . they're close to Nuke OS stability.

Ti Nuke. This thing will NOT turn over on you. Decently long, but way more stable than a regular Nuke.

Might be faster than you're looking for though.

You are absolutely 100% right

But...
if you want a little less HSS and a little more glide/distance, get a star wraith

if you want something a little faster, get a philo destroyer

if you want something that will just barely show that it wants to turn, and have significant LSS, get a star xcal

But i still think you're looking for a S-DD

An Archon is one I would recommend if you can do the long straight shot with a Valkyrie Like I can, just look for ones that are low domed discs as a high domed Valkyrie For me at least tends to act like a beat in Orc or a new XL, a slower version of the Destroyer.

Oh yeah, great suggestions all around. I'm open to anything; Gyro, foreign, Innova/DC, new hotness, oldie but goldies, you name it. If it helps I'll give a bit more info on me: Can't say what my max D is for sure but on days I'm feeling spry I've gotten close to 400' if not just, if tee signs are to be trusted. Minimum D is at least 330' probably, with an average ~ 350-360' I'd say. I don't really throw distance lines much so these are generally golf lines. I have little mitts but I can put up with rims as wide as a King but I prefer widths closer to Trespasses, Swords, Photons, etc. I usually have my distance drivers around 168g but I'm fine with going heavier if it keeps the HSS better since I'm looking for line shaping more than max distance with this.

I've got two seasoned VIP Giants, 2-3 Photons, and a VIP Boatman with a really high PLH that I'll try out for this currently. Definitely going to look into TP Giant depending on if the VIPs glide enough for me and the S-DD (I throw PDs and really like the feel of the anhyzer top, hate that the DDx isn't working out for me).

Would the Defy fit into this role? The Photons are nice but I like to add more Axiom to the bag if I can just because the loud colors are easier to find.

Thanks.

At less than 400' power, your Boatman ain't gonna late flip anywhere;) Don't be disappointed if it doesn't go far. They don't have a ton of glide so its not really a longer teebird. The bio defenders I've thrown were Pro level overstable but we all know bio becomes a different disc in a couple months or a couple full power tree shots. The S-DDs I've thrown were like the Scythe, big fade.

I personally like the idea of cycling so if a Giant is capable of being a straight flyer then maybe you already have your solution in your backup stack and just need some testing to see if one you have will work. When I revisit my stack during field work I'm often surprised how my bagged discs change overtime compared to the pile of backups, or that my power has increased and the discs that once would crush the wind now only hold a stable line.

I recommend the Outlaw in your 168 weight. They're not overly stable below 170 but they won't get flippy like the others you mentioned around 360' without a fair headwind. It's not a distance driver but like a Giant its fast enough to get out there with workable fade.

spoiler alert: someone will say destroyer but it has to be beat or some special run:|

I think a fresh star wraith will do just fine for this shot at your distances. I haven't thrown an S-DD but my buddy loves them for the "flies like a wraith in a headwind" slot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At less than 400' power, your Boatman ain't gonna late flip anywhere;) Don't be disappointed if it doesn't go far. They don't have a ton of glide so its not really a longer teebird. The bio defenders I've thrown were Pro level overstable but we all know bio becomes a different disc in a couple months or a couple full power tree shots. The S-DDs I've thrown were like the Scythe, big fade.

I personally like the idea of cycling so if a Giant is capable of being a straight flyer then maybe you already have your solution in your backup stack and just need some testing to see if one you have will work. When I revisit my stack during field work I'm often surprised how my bagged discs change overtime compared to the pile of backups, or that my power has increased and the discs that once would crush the wind now only hold a stable line.

I recommend the Outlaw in your 168 weight. They're not overly stable below 170 but they won't get flippy like the others you mentioned around 360' without a fair headwind. It's not a distance driver but like a Giant its fast enough to get out there with workable fade.

spoiler alert: someone will say destroyer but it has to be beat or some special run:|

Yeah, I'm going to see if any of my Giants, Photons, or Boatman can fill it first. Haven't tossed the Boatman very often but it's probably what I'm looking for, just a little short. I've kind of given up on finding a straight-fade driver that gets easy distance, seems like you need a little turn to get the max D flight and a little turn and headwinds don't mix.

What plastic Outlaw do you suggest? Reading up on it it seems to run all over the place in terms of stability, which is why I'm not really interested in Destroyers.

I'm hoping to run across a S-DD, Defy, Outlaw, and/or Hurricane in the stores this weekend so I can feel the rims. Thanks to all for the info. :hfive:

What plastic Outlaw do you suggest? Reading up on it it seems to run all over the place in terms of stability, which is why I'm not really interested in Destroyers.

Second Run Pinnacle Outlaw at around 168g. They seem fairly consistent, but are getting scarce in that weight from the regular retailers. Beware of the green and orange pinnacles in the 170s unless you are looking for a meathook. There is a reason those are the only ones left. SRs in the high 160s can be found if you look for them. Who knows what's going to be up with a third run whenever that happens.

Standard stock Icons vary much more in stability, which is good if you collect them, bad if you just want to try one. However, the newest run of swirly Icon outlaws seem to be pretty good and are nice and stable to overstable. I have two (170 and 174) and I am very happy with both. If I was going to recommend an Outlaw for you to try it would be the swirly Icon at around 170. The plastic feels pretty darn amazing it's like a glossy but grippy soft star. It also has held up pretty from a durability standpoint for me as well.

I guess that its my noodle mentality that wants to recommend the Flow. Nice glide and for me, stays straight for quite a while. I only throw 345' though.

345' is not a noodle arm. But I agree about the Flow. Noodle arms like myself would suggest trying a C-line CD3, as well.

How many different discs have been mentioned so far?

Point being, these type of threads never reach a consensus. They might as well be titled "What do you throw?".

How many different discs have been mentioned so far?

Point being, these type of threads never reach a consensus. They might as well be titled "What do you throw?".

Well it quickly helped me reach a consensus on discs I want to try out that I might not have thought of. In fact, the only completely unhelpful post in this thread so far is yours. :|

I can't "un-nice" you so I niced everybody but you in this thread instead. :| :p

Thanks.

Your being much closer to sea level, you'll have to take my recommendations with a grain of salt. At 1050m, things fly much more stable up here generally speaking. In this role, I can suggest that the Photon indeed works well for me. I tend to use a heavy Fission or a 160's Neutron for the straight shot. Up here, 360-70' feet of power makes the Proton Photon look somewhat overstable. Because I found a really pretty 155g Defy with a metal flake Plasma RIM, I bought it just to ogle but it flies like a laser up here with full power. Bearing in mind the elevation difference, I'd suggest a heavy one might be the same for you. 175 Proton Volts do the job as well, ymmv down there.

Latest posts