• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Strategy for Dealing with Heat?

You got heatstroke, and it honestly sounds like the Power Aid wasn't doing much for you. Stick to water, drink it in moderation (four liters over two rounds is way too much), find some clothing that breathes well, get a hat, and slowly work up to extended periods of playing when it's super hot. One hour a day, then 1.5, then working up to 2-4.

The heat really got to me for the first time yesterday in the second round of a one day tournament. I had a poundeing headache and hurt all over and couldn't catch my breath. I had the hardest time finishing the round, and afterwards I had fever, chills, and bodyaches late into the night. Today, I feel better, but I'm very weak. I'm also four pounds lighter.

I'm really surprised, because it was only 90 degrees and about 50% humidity. I played in worse conditions a couple of weeks ago and didn't have this problem.

Also, I don't think it was dehydration. I hydrated for a couple of days beforehand, and I drank two liters of power aid zero during each round (four liters total). One indicator of dehydration is strong urine color, and mine was nice and clear after the round and all night, so I don't think it was dehydration. I've been really dehydrated before, and that involves nausea and basically feels like a violent hangover. This was different.

So what can I do to avoid this problem, other than what I am already doing? I have a two day tournament next weekend, and I don't want to have to DNF.

The trick with hydrating is you have to be doing it regularly. You can't just chug some water or powerade right before you play and expect to be hydrated, you have to drink a couple days before at least.

And yeah, carbs aren't completely the enemy, some complex carbs are good for periods for exertion.

I walked back to the car after hole 14 once because of heat. Tournament or not, no round of any type of golf is worth risking your health for. IMO, you should not have finished that round and were lucky something more serious didn't happen.
Like some one else said, you should see your doctor about this.

Done. And in middle GA at that. That's part of the reason I am so surprised to find myself so heat sensitive later in life.

Perhaps it's not heat but air quality. It's not been too good around here lately.

The trick with hydrating is you have to be doing it regularly. You can't just chug some water or powerade right before you play and expect to be hydrated, you have to drink a couple days before at least.

This is what my docgtor told me a couple of weeks ago when I mentioned my spouse had to DNF at our last tournament becasue he got hot and his muscles cramped up and he got nausea.

So I did start hydrating two days before the tournament as I said in my OP. I don't think it was a hydration issue. I just got too hot while not accustomed to it. My spouse was fine this time, and he drank the same amount of power aid I did.

It just seems mysterious to me that he went down last time when we were drinking water, and I went down this time when we were drinking power aid. But he had dehydration symptoms, and I had heat stroke symptoms.

Sorry to be blunt, but about your diet...

You've seemed to ruled out a hydration issue (and I'd agree that's probably not the case). Something you might want to really consider rethinking is the lack of carbs prior to rounds, and in general. Carbohydrates are the fuel that runs the body. If you (and your hubby) are both on the same diet, that might well explain why you're both wilting in the heat.

Hydration, shade, all the above advice is helpful, but if you don't have the energy in your body from proper nutrition, of course you're going to feel terrible in the heat.

Edit: and by carbohydrates, I'm speaking primarily complex carbs like whole grain pastas, brown/wild rices, etc. Sugar water isn't going to help much.

Since you're getting advice to eat carbs, after having massive success by avoiding them, I'll take the other side: Don't feel you need to eat carbs for energy, or anything else for that matter, if you don't want to. You lost a lot of weight by not eating them. Keep it up for life if you want.

The idea that we NEED carbs for energy is too absurd to bother arguing against here in detail. If you handle them well, eat them all you like; if you don't (and you probably don't if you had a lot of fat to lose) then don't.

You can thrive on lean, fat and trace carbs (or none at all) for life--in heat, in cold, on high energy expenditure days, on low energy expenditure days, and all other times. The trick is to adapt your metabolism to prefer fatty acid substrates for energy (which I'm sure you already have, having stayed on the diet since mid-November) and to eat plenty of fat--keep burning diesel!

Heat stroke sucks. It is good to keep your core tempature down, a good way of doing this is by taking either a small bag of ice or a cold water bottle and hold it under your armpits, as the blood flows by it will cool, which will in turn cool your core.

Cooler with plenty of ice & cold drinks in it........ Grab a couple washcloths and dunk 'em in the bottom of the cooler and then pull them out and drape over your head and neck from time to time.

Dunk you hat in there too.

Heat stroke sucks. It is good to keep your core tempature down, a good way of doing this is by taking either a small bag of ice or a cold water bottle and hold it under your armpits, as the blood flows by it will cool, which will in turn cool your core.

I'm leaning towars trying this, plus a spray bottle for the face, a big hat, and one of those small electric fans. Or I might go with the first two, plus this:

http://www.brookstone.com/umbrella-...r:adType=pla&gclid=CN6e87z0sKkCFc1a7AodIlz7Ng

I want the one that comes with the hot guy.

You must be careful when dealing with the heat. Make sure you keep your head covered, but make sure its a hat that will breathe. I get these straw hats at the truck stop for $5.99. I am sure you can also find them at Walmart. They are very light weight, and you can customize them. The one on the right I painted and customized for my wife and she loves it.

Astroworld004.jpg

I'd check with your Doctor or whatever source you use, and just try to understand what you can eat and drink that is low carb that will still leave you energy to be able to play. It may be as simple as tweaking your diet a little, or simply adjusting to your new lighter body and energy levels. I'm sure there is some low carb options that will keep you plugging along. And don't underestimate the impact of your weight loss. Your body was one thing for a while, and now it is a whole lot less. There's bound to be some chemical and internal adjustments going on. Congrats on the weight loss. My guess is this will pass quickly and you'll be back to suffering normally like the rest of us.

This is the one I wear right now. Very light weight, and keeps the sun off me in the summer months. I bought some Batman material at Hobby Lobby and did a little custom job on this one. The brown one in the previous picture, I am going to do a cool custom paint job on , when I get all the stuff together

0612112052.jpg

I work outside in all kinds of weather. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is taking aspirin BEFORE you get a headache. Aspirin thins you blood and will make you more comfortable in the heat. Citrus juice will work too although not as well.

here is my tip...starting at least four days before a tourney completely cut out all sodas, coffee and other high caffeine or high sugar drinks. Focus on water, gatorade, and water. I don't drink any alcoholic beverages at all, but if you do then cut them as well. This is not to deal with dehydration so much as it is to promote over all body fitness and to cleanse your system of any impurities.
I recently played a tourney in 98 degree heat and by the end everyone in my group and club were drained and I was ready to play another nine. I ate a big lunch and then about halfway through the round I ate a cliff bar and drank close to 5 liters of water/gatorade during both rounds. Don't fool around in southern heat...you need to be proactive and seriously determined if you want to have the stamina to play your best at the end of a long tourney!

It has been around 100 here with very high humidity lately. the key is to drink all the time but it sounds like you were doing that. the conditioning is a good tip. you need to be out in the heat to get used to it. again a hat and making use of shade when you can. I also freeze my water sometimes. I also like to eat very lightly when I am out there.

You can't go wrong with a small electric fan man. I carry one in my bag, and they really do wonders for me just waiting for everyone to throw. As many people suggested, a large hat is a good investment. Keep yourself cool.