• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Strategy for Dealing with Heat?

Didn't read all the other posts but a good buddy of mine works for UPS. Dehydration is always a risk for them. They spent a LOT of money doing research and they found that if you go water, gatorade, water, gatorade, ect..., that you will retain more electrolytes and water. I'll be damned if it doesn't work.

So basically carry a 32 of gatorade and a liter of dasani and alternate swigs. Works like a charm.

Pedialyte (yes for kids) is another great product that helps with dehydration. It is very low in sugars and sodium, along with the regular Pedialyte they also have packets you can add to plain water so you can carry it in your bag and add to water if you feel like you need a bit more hydration.
http://pedialyte.com/
Here is a graph of Pedialyte compared to other "sports drinks": http://pedialyte.com/products

Another good option for dehydration/electrolyte imbalance is Smart Water: http://www.glaceau.com/

The salt issue is one I have thought about. We traditionally eat egs and bacon each day before a tournament. I've only had a problem when I drank only powerade zero, and no water, but my spouse had the opposite problem, so IDK. My blood pressure is strikingly low (100 over 60 is not uncommon), so maybe I'm more sensitive to a blood pressure spike, not being used to it. My spouse, with typically high blood pressure, has the opposite experience?
Be careful comparing experiences to you spouse. You each have unique body types and will react differently to different levels of heat, hydration, sodium, carbs, etc. Just because it does/doesn't work for your spouse doesn't mean it will/won't work for you. You wouldn't ask a doctor to diagnose your cold by taking your spouse's vitals, would you?

As for the over-heating, it sounds like you found a manageable process with the ice bags. I'd also suggest taking a rag with you and as the bags of ice inevitably melt, soak the rag in the cool water and apply to the back of your neck and forehead. That way you aren't using your drinking water and you won't waste any of that precious H2O.

I always have a good meal atleast a hour or two before I play and I usually keep peanuts and beef jerky in my bag. The biggest thing is water and plenty of it. I usually drink a bottle of water per 9 holes and always have a few more cold bottles in my car.

The power aid zero doesn't have any sugar at all. I've been on a low carb diet since November 15 (lost 70 pounds so far) so I won't take any fruit either. I basically just eat meat and green vegetables. Maybe a few almonds now and then.

I'll think about the wide brimmed hat. I saw a guy using an umbrella in the last tournament. Maybe I'll try that? I guess it's the same principal.

Okay so this is your issue. I know alot about nutrition. You just need to eat more during a tourney. Have a couple low carb bars or mixed nuts//whatever. Force yourself to eat a little every 9 holes or so. If your feeling light headed and weak,,then its too late,,,eat before symptoms come so you can keep your energy up. Oh and just drink water. Drinking that much aspertame (sweetener in zero calorie drinks) is terrible on every level. It can certainly make you feel bad if you drink that much of it. There is more info coming out all the time about aspertame and its never good.

Low carb diets are great but you have to realize that carbs is the fastest way and most effecient way to get energy into your body. If your using up tons of energy in a tourney, you may need to replace it with more than just protein and veggies. Pig out on the chicken breasts and broccolli after the tourney,,snack on carbs during for the extra boost you need.

You absolutely need carbs before, during and after effort. Complex carbs are the best bet. Carbs and protein are essential recovery foods for afterwards.

Invest in a good hat. I recommend Tilley hats.

I got a pair of these and some cold packs in a small cooler to take with me.

5042811844.jpg

I play in DFW. Take a dip in the creek or at least pour some water over yourself between rounds. Although you're hydrated, if you're not used to the heat (sleep with windows open and never use AC), you will need to cool down your core between rounds. Even sitting in the car with the AC going for 15 minutes will make a huge difference.

The cool packs won't cool your core. In Tejas, they're wasted cash. If you want to try something like it, soak a towel in a cooler of water and wrap yourself in it.

I play in DFW. Take a dip in the creek or at least pour some water over yourself between rounds. Although you're hydrated, if you're not used to the heat (sleep with windows open and never use AC), you will need to cool down your core between rounds. Even sitting in the car with the AC going for 15 minutes will make a huge difference.

The cool packs won't cool your core. In Tejas, they're wasted cash. If you want to try something like it, soak a towel in a cooler of water and wrap yourself in it.

The heat here in DFW has been hellish these past few weeks... I feel toasty by the end of a round at the local 9'er, Saddle Hills!

Make sure you take lots of water. Having more than you need is always better than not having enough

The peas wraps didn't work so well yesterday, because the strap around the front was too hot, they weren't all that cold, and they warmed up too quickly. But the freez packs were nice to take out between holes and place on the neck and rub across the face and forehead. Much better than ice in a ziplock bag. I'm just going to get some more of those.

58380872.jpg

Latest posts