• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Strategy For Laying UP Close to Basket

Im a loft putter. Great thing about loft putting is that I rarely 3 putt. Very rarely. Hard part is the longer putts. Loft putting is great if you are just laying up also. If done right you can still give it a chance to go in without risking a long come-back putt.

RFF wizard, lofted up 10' or more. When it comes down, it stays down. Basically a throw I spent my whole life throwing in Cornhole (aka Bean Bag toss to the unwashed masses)

Cornhole (aka Bean Bag toss to the unwashed masses)

I'm 36 now, but when I first moved from the OH/KY border to Iowa City IA in 1997 was the first time I ever heard the phrase cornhole that wasn't something that would be part of a conversation that would get our posts deleted on these boards :) I figured Iowa had all that corn, so they came up w/a stupid name. When I hear people talk about playing Cornhole w/their friends, it still makes me shake my head heh.

Yeah, my mind is always in the gutter.

I throw a VP for this shot, BH/FH, just give it enough room to fade in and the lack of glide makes it easy to judge the power/distance needed.

That's why I always recommend something slow, overstable, and without much glide (VP!) as an approach disc. Forgiving, predictable, and easy to range.

Soft putter of any kind on an Anny. Land and stick. Or as I command my discs: "Sit, Stay"

Small theme running thru this thread. Playing catch with a friend. This is simply great practice for being loose and fluid on approaches from 100' or whatever your " approach zone."

On the course I imagine my high school buddy is standing at the basket, then I throw a JK Aviar to him to catch. Wait....that was 1973....Like riding a bicycle.

If I have room I always throw a soft hyzer with a Pro Pig. If it's tight I will throw the same Pro Pig low with a bit of anny release. Further out a Roc3 on low line, hit it 10'-15' in front of the pin and let it slide or skip up to it.

I typically toss my Cflx Zone on a slight anhyzer, with the goal being to hit the ground about 15ft in front of the basket. Even if it stops dead I can still hit that 15ft putt, but if it skips and slides a bit I have some wiggle room. Mind you, I try to avoid laying up as often as possible - you miss 100% of putts you don't try for. Unless there's a serious hazard behind the pin, its rare that even a run on the basket goes so far past that the return putt is unmakable.

Cryztal FLX Zone anny FH to drop out of the sky or with a hyzer if there is enough room to the left.

I'm at a weird place in my game where shots out of jump putt range, but shorter than say 150', are difficult for me to range sometimes. I've been blowing past the basket accidentally and just generally having trouble powering down.

So I'm working on getting my bread and butter approach back (the straight ahead, nose up putter shot that just fades out right at the basket), and adding the forehand putter approach to my bag o tricks. These are my favorite approach shots.

I'm 36 now, but when I first moved from the OH/KY border to Iowa City IA in 1997 was the first time I ever heard the phrase cornhole that wasn't something that would be part of a conversation that would get our posts deleted on these boards :) I figured Iowa had all that corn, so they came up w/a stupid name. When I hear people talk about playing Cornhole w/their friends, it still makes me shake my head heh.

The funny thing is I'm about to turn 36 and I'm from Iowa but I hadn't heard that game called that until just a couple of years ago. I went to ISU so perhaps that name originated over in IC rather than in Central Iowa where I live.

I was ... um ... shocked when a nephew asked me if I wanted to play cornhole. Cornhole is NOT something you would admit to playing with your friends.

ANYWAYS, try to land the disc flat. Hyzers are great for distance control but tend to flip up and roll once they hit the ground. On a flat green this won't be too much of a problem, but with OB or rollaways present, bye bye disc

I went to ISU so perhaps that name originated over in IC rather than in Central Iowa where I live.

I wouldn't doubt that honestly. That game was everywhere in that town.

I was ... um ... shocked when a nephew asked me if I wanted to play cornhole. Cornhole is NOT something you would admit to playing with your friends.

Yeah, for those of us more familiar w/the naughty version of the word, that is SO not a family activity heh. My wife is from western NC and she agrees on definition too and has a similar reaction to you when people talk about the game.

I like call this shot a "touch" shot. It takes touch and finesse to master this 100' (give or a take a few feet) shot. I like to throw a straight putter, like a Mercy (2,3,0,1 I think). I throw it slightly nose up and just kind of pop it flat with my wrist. It's almost an exaggerated putt. Once mastered, this shot will be super useful. I generally use a power grip, only because that's how I grip everything besides putts. It's probably more comfortable with some kind of fan or fork grip, but I've learned the timing of the release with the power grip which allows me to get a good amount of spin on the disc without tons of speed. This allows the disc to slowly float straight at the basket, usually dying directly under it and sometimes in it. :) This shot takes a lot of practice to master, but it's worth the effort. I play with a 20 year vet regularly and he's told me many times he wishes he had the "touch" for that shot...and he is no slouch. This is why I call it the "touch" shot.

If we're talking about "laying up" being different than "approach shots," then basicaly what I do is putt with something soft (rpro aviar) at the lock. I'd do this out to maybe 75-100 ft, depending on the situation.

I use a pure not an ion, the idea is to float a soft anny that will s-curve and fade back. Being totally out of energy when it hits, it flops and stays. Most any neutral putter is good at this -- a friend of mine uses a lid-style for this shot.

^^^ this

Yeah, awkward name, but hitting a 3" hole with a 1lb bag from 30' helps build accuracy for these upshots, especially when you're trying to keep it on the board if you miss the hole.

A lot of times if I'm outside jump putt range, I will still jump putt to somewhere next to the basket - knowing I don't have the range to hit metal. If I'm outside that range, I will typically forehand anny a Challenger (depending on room/line).

Pancake shots with a Wasp/Firebird are also effective for me.

Latest posts