• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Strategy For Laying UP Close to Basket

discmeettree

Par Member
So how do you guys normally approach a lay up shot when you are out of putting range and if you run the chains and miss, you will wind up out of bounds for example or down a hill on the other side of the basket.

I have tried aiming for the post that holds the basket up coming straight in and I usually hit the grass too soon and still have a long putt. Or I tried coming in with a hyzer and getting the disc to spike in and stop, but I need much more practice to be reliable with this shot.

What is your chosen way to get the disc to stick near the pin on a layup shot that will leave you with a gimme putt?

:popcorn:

I use the Ion up to 150 feet for this shot. What I've learned to do is throw it with a little anhyzer so it flattens out and doesn't fade too far from the basket. I consider these shots the strongest part of my game.

I use the Ion up to 150 feet for this shot. What I've learned to do is throw it with a little anhyzer so it flattens out and doesn't fade too far from the basket. I consider these shots the strongest part of my game.

While I'm still working on consistency, I've been using this shot too, with my VPs: thrown correctly, the disc will land flat and barely budge. The biggest threat is not putting enough anhyzer on it, in which case it will fade far-ish from the basket (since you released with the aim of it going straight). Also requires slightly more room than your standard upshot.

Lovely shot, though; I've made some awesome birdie putts with it.

^^^ this

I use a pure not an ion, the idea is to float a soft anny that will s-curve and fade back. Being totally out of energy when it hits, it flops and stays. Most any neutral putter is good at this -- a friend of mine uses a lid-style for this shot.

I also carry a soft sinus for lower shots. The soft plastic won't skid far. Pretty much any soft, floppy putter will stop quickly. You might also try a blowfly.

Depends on the distance. If I am decently close, but dont want to risk my disc going ob, I loft the disc in the air so it flops down(if I have room). Thatway I can still go for it without having it go ob. If it is farther I will do the anny flop shot as well. If there is atree in the way, Ill throw it low and slide it near the basket.

Two things here...

One, practice your putting so that your "gimme" distance increases. I used to hate being more than 12-15' from the basket. Now I feel more confident out to 20-25', so my upshots don't have to be super parked. Of course, it's nicer when they are, but putting confidence helps.

Two, for the kind of shot you are talking about, it all depends on the situation. "Out of putting range" can mean 40' for some, 100' for others. If I'm within 50' and don't think it's wise to run at it, I'm lofting a putter so that it lands as flat as possible to avoid catching an edge and rolling away while still giving it a chance to maybe get lucky and drop in the cage. A little farther away, it depends on the line available. 75 to 150' of open approach? A flat, low throw with my beat R-Pro Rhyno that slides a little but generally sticks where it hits. A slope falling right to left? A baby forehand with a Z Zone into the slope that hopefully dials in a little spiral around the post. Slope falling the other direction? Zone again, except backhand. I use all kinds of discs and techniques to make this shot.

What I generally do in practice rounds is throw 4-5 shots in these situations. If my drive lands 100' out, I'll make what I think is the best disc and technique decision and execute it. I'll count this decision and throw as the "real" one and ultimately play from there, but if my execution wasn't exactly what I would have liked, I'll try 3 or 4 more throws with different discs and methods. Hones the whole game, especially the mental one.

So how do you guys normally approach a lay up shot when you are out of putting range and if you run the chains and miss, you will wind up out of bounds for example or down a hill on the other side of the basket.

I have tried aiming for the post that holds the basket up coming straight in and I usually hit the grass too soon and still have a long putt. Or I tried coming in with a hyzer and getting the disc to spike in and stop, but I need much more practice to be reliable with this shot.

What is your chosen way to get the disc to stick near the pin on a layup shot that will leave you with a gimme putt?

:popcorn:

In a open field with noting to distract or be in the way of my shot, I will hyzer in my Karma or Firebird. The reason for this is this stye is most consistent IMO. A wind blast will do little to a Firebird spike, whereas a straight or anhyzered shot can be lifted and thrown.

But the short game is, IMO, the most important part of your game. You have to be able to get the disc near the basket in various ways:

Low L to R will be a forehand thrown driver skipping towards the basket.

High L to R will be either a spiked forehand with a OS driver, or if I believe the shot needs to pan out, creating a little slide, I will anhyzer BH a OS or Stable driver/mid.

Straight low depends on the distance, but generally my US mid thrown/released on a hyzer.

Straight high would be putter, Stable Mid, or US Mid hyzer or straight, all of which depending on distance and how I want the shot to end.

Low R to L a BH OS disc.

High R to L is my bread and butter and can basically be performed by any Stable or OS disc, so it really depends on distance, conditions, and how I want it to land, quick stop, slide/skip.

At times, rollers are a must, so I would encourage anyone to have one disc and try to get a feel for that one disc rolling it often in practice.

Last edited:
I throw nose up flick upshots with a Ringer. I throw nose up because then it comes in and lands softer, but also has a shot at the chains.

Though this Discraft video is old, you may find it helpful. Some of the stuff is pretty rudimentary, but its nice to see visual examples of the suggested lines.

To answer your question, I generally throw a gentle hyzer shot as long as there is room.

However, one other piece of advice is to think about what you consider your "automatic" putting range. (10-20 feet for most people) Then instead of trying to land the disc on the pin, just find the easiest line to land within that zone. That should take some pressure of your upshot, and your putt because you wont be down on yourself for not parking it at the pin.

I am still working on putting that advice into practice for my own game, but so far it has really helped my upshots and putting.

I like to thumb my Soft Magnet for approach shots pretty frequently. It pancakes and stays pretty well. If I really screw up the throw it might land on an edge and roll some, but generally it flips over and slides home near the basket

I usually come in with a champ cro relatively flat or a gentle hyzer with the goal of about 10 ft short and slightly to the right to allow for a slide or spin up. Usually a pretty automatic shot.

I like to throw these approaches like a catch throw, nose up and straight at it. Sometimes a slight anny is needed to keep it from fading out too early. The nose up orientation of the disc slows the disc down nicely, and it should almost hover down near the basket, so it doesn't skip or slide much. A great way for practicing this shot is to play catch with a friend, and try to make the disc stop in the air right at your partner. As you don't have to fetch the discs you throw, you get a lot of practice in this shot in a relatively short time. A slow and understable putter works best for this shot.

i either do a gentle hyzer with a kc aviar or a soft anny with a beat aviar, or switch discs. I basically throw an aviar like a frisbee, soft and with touch.

I typically toss my Cflx Zone on a slight anhyzer, with the goal being to hit the ground about 15ft in front of the basket. Even if it stops dead I can still hit that 15ft putt, but if it skips and slides a bit I have some wiggle room. Mind you, I try to avoid laying up as often as possible - you miss 100% of putts you don't try for. Unless there's a serious hazard behind the pin, its rare that even a run on the basket goes so far past that the return putt is unmakable.

It sounds like you just need some practice.

What helps me with straight or 'S' curve approaches is aiming as if I were throwing to someone who's standing 15' in front of and 15' to the right of the basket. If it's an easy shot for them to catch I'll end up right under the basket. You'll just need to practice the hyzers. It's a pretty easy and reliable shot once you get it down.

My jump putting range ends at about 100ft. When this happens I have to result to a backhand upshot. I prefer to throw an air bounce type of shot. Releasing the putter slightly nose up so that I can still make a legitimate run at the basket but it will land softly and not coast by. Similar to throwing a regular Frisbee. My practice is often playing catch with a friend.

But like others said, depends on hole and situation. Generally I am not trying to hole out from 100ft plus but more interested in securing my 3. with the occasional field deuce that comes along with it. Just depends on your putting skill as well. If your comfortable inside 30 ft then running 24 ft by the basket shouldn't be a big deal. If you miss 20 footers a lot, then play for the layups at that point until you feel confident in the return putts!

I do a lob. I use a Magic for the shot, I pitch it high and flat and right at the chains. Bad kicks off the basket are always a danger, but they usually stick a flat landing for a drop in. Sometimes they go in which is a bonus. I reserve this shot for "smart golf" plays where roll aways/air balls will be severely punished by the terrain.

This is one of the reasons I have a R-Pro Polecat in my bag. It flies on the line you put it, is super easily controlled, and hits and sticks.

Latest posts