• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

stuck at 415' any tips

emolga77

I've been stuck at around 415 max d for awhile and is there any tips to help further my progression.

These are all wrong. Just like Jamie says hitting a ball. You want it to go farther, hit it harder, or in this case, throw it harder.

I throw about the same distance as you. Max D touches 440-450 on perfect throws. The new high speed flippy drivers gave me the false impression that I was in Half hitter territory. Turns out I just got really, really good at strong arming (no snap), and I don't engage my hips hardly at all.

Crushing the Can has been a recent breakthrough for me. Try the drills and concentrate timing that front step and engaging your hips to bring your arm around. With any luck, you will feel unbalanced and your arm will flail wildly around you body. That is a good thing. It gives you something to improve. The worst part about getting stuck in the 400 foot range is running out of significant things to change about your throw.

Video helps too.

My tip would be "Enjoy the fact you can throw that far". :hfive:

After that, I would suggest throw only downhill holes. :D

I really wish I was in your position!

However, it was not all that long ago that I was stuck at 325 max on flat ground. What really helped me was fiulming a series of throws: putters, mids, fairways (OS, neutral, US) and distance drivers (OS and US) and putting ins ome slow motion bits. I posted it up in the form critique thread and got a lot of good tips.

The best part was the advice I got was not overwhelming in technical details. It was all stuff I was easily able to grasp. In about four months I went from that 325 to the 400 foot barrier. I continue to work at it and can throw farther, but not consistently on golf lines. My crowning achievement was throwing 6 Giants in a row past 375 on flat throws, without flexing them out.

Bottom line, its tough to get tips without seeing your throws. 415 is a really good distance, so you have the basics mastered and are ready for intermediate techniques (which you are probably already doing without knowing it) and even advanced techniques.

Get that video, get some tips and I could easily surmise you'll be throwing over five hundo by this time next year.

I don't mean to sound trollish here, but everybody who throws over 400 feet and wonders how to get more distance, might want to consider hitting exactly what you're aiming at. I mean, I get it: it would be awesome to win long drive competitions, and reach that handful of holes that have heretofore been out of reach.

But I say, learn to park every single shot inside of 400', and you won't leave much money out there for others to collect.

Out of curiosity, what percentage of holes in the world require monster 'D'? 10%? 15%? If you deuce the majority 80-85% of holes out there ALL the time, that's averaging only 40 strokes per round on competitive courses. Sure, you're going to take a 3 on the three or four holes between 450 and 800+ feet, but c'mon!

This is feedback, of course, coming from someone who has never thrown 400' on flat ground, so take it with a grain of salt! :( So...back to your regularly scheduled programming, and best wishes on someday bombing 'em out to 500 feet! :thmbup:

Can't speak for the OP but for me it isn't just about top end distance. Accuracy is the end game. Putters can be much more accurate than drivers if you have the arm to reach the target. Improved top end distance also opens up "safer" lines. It is a lot easier to throw hyzers around/over trees on 300' holes instead of trying navigate through trees.

I don't mean to sound trollish here, but everybody who throws over 400 feet and wonders how to get more distance, might want to consider hitting exactly what you're aiming at.

But I say, learn to park every single shot inside of 400', and you won't leave much money out there for others to collect.

See, the more raw distance you have the more options open up on all the throws that are less then max distance. When you can throw 500 feet the 300-400 foot shots that make up the bulk of the sport become simple overstable hyzer shots. Additional routes also open up that you could never hit before. Throwing farther (as long as your accurate) makes all the shorter throws easier too.

these are terrible answers.. really you should post a video of you throwing so people on here can see what you are doing wrong. most likely you are not using your hips and legs as efficiently as you can, and most likely aren't getting a full hit

Get a net, a speed gun and throw until you can't anymore... wake and repeat. I just posted a thread reviewing the SKLZ radar detector in the "other equipment" forum.

Simple advice....Throw putters, throw smooth and relax.

a putter will not forgive bad form so it will usually add distance in the shortest ammount of time. play with a putter for a week and see of you gained any footage.

Ok, so it's a one post wonder with no video etc. so I'm pretty much fine with the amusing answers.

But, to the guys saying "you throw far so stop trying to improve"...come on. It's irrelevant to this specific thread where who knows if this guy will ever come back. Clearly people can throw farther than 400'. It should be possible for anyone without physical issues to throw over 450'. I can't, so I want to improve. Yes I can probably throw farther than the majority of members on this board, but there are lots and lots of guys on here who can throw 100' further than I can. So why not try to improve?

Will it make my scores better? Yes, but not as much as more putting practice. Do I care? No. I want to throw correctly, and improve myself. So do lots of people. It's not like I can't practice putting and upshots too, even if I should spend a higher % of time on them.

If you don't want to throw further than 350' it doesn't mean other people can't try to hit 450'. Improve what's important to you. I like my scores improving, but I even more like to watch a disc fly out there on a nice line.