• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sugaree Phase 3

Mando

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
We could not make it work in it's original form, or phase 2, but we are not giving up so easily.
Thinking about adding a mountain bike trail system into the mix and renting electric mountain bikes, with lodging/camping options.

Good luck. I hope phase 3 is a huge success. I will come visit from Raleigh as soon as work allows.

The way I see it, do whatever you gotta do to make it viable for you and keep the course going. Your little slice of heaven comes highly recommended by people whose opinions carry real weight with me, and I hope to play it in the next couple of years.

Thanks. If this doesn't work, there is always Rave music festivals for phase 4...LOL. I will notify here if we get the baskets back up. If so,gonna probably have to re-vamp to accomodate bike trails...may back it down to 18 holes.

Last edited:
I've thought about adding mtb trails at my place.

Also thought about adding a few shipping container "cabins".
...a small stage for concerts.
...hop farm.
...brewery.

I always have more ideas than time or funds allow. Good luck. I hope to have the chance to visit someday.

This is good news. I hope to play it again someday. One of the best places I have ever played. :thmbup:
I can't get too excited about re-listing it DGCR. In light of the second to last review, who needs that kind of abuse ?
I will definitely PM you if it does, you are one of the good ones. Thanks for the kind words and support over the years.

This course has been on my wishlist forever. I hope to get to play it someday.

Yeah, let me know if the baskets ever go back in. I hate it that I didn't get up there for the last phase, I'd love to play on that mountain with traditional baskets.

Thank you for whatever you can do, Rich. I used to be an avid mountain biker before discovering disc golf, as I live 500 feet from 12 miles of intermediate level single track. Sherman Branch MTB Park in the Charlotte/Mint Hill area. Heck, I'd be more than happy just to talk a walk in the woods at Sugaree. Several of us were in Boone last week and we talked about how much we missed Sugaree. Hope you are doing well, look forward to seeing you again one day soon, hopefully.

If we could get a work day or weekend together, and a bunch of Sugaree loyals together to clean things up to get her open again, would you accept an offer to do that? There are people from Asheville to Ashe County that love the course, appreciate the work you've done, and I bet they want to help. You shouldn't have to bear that burden alone.

If we could get a work day or weekend together, and a bunch of Sugaree loyals together to clean things up to get her open again, would you accept an offer to do that? There are people from Asheville to Ashe County that love the course, appreciate the work you've done, and I bet they want to help. You shouldn't have to bear that burden alone.
Mark
If everyone had your level of respect and appreciation, the course would have not closed in the first place. The encounter I had with one individual last year, was the straw that broke the camel's back. There has to be a level of trust for the guest-host relationship to work. I lost it. When his review yielded 11 positives vs 5 negatives, it was very troubling.

Last edited:
Its a lot harder than most players think to build and maintain your own course. No matter how much you may want to, you cannot please everyone. Worry about yourself Mando. I like to hear positive comments about my course, but I also welcome critics even if their remarks sting. At the end of the day it is about how I feel when I look back at the fairway I just mowed and know that it is mine. I look forward to a day when I can make it back to Sugaree and enjoy your amazing course and hospitality.

Mark
If everyone had your level of respect and appreciation, the course would have not closed in the first place. The encounter I had with one individual last year, was the straw that broke the camel's back. There has to be a level of trust for the guest-host relationship to work. I lost it. When his review yielded 11 positives vs 5 negatives, it was very troubling.

Rich, I've put out a feeler to the owner of the new course in Boone, Heritage Farm, they have an excellent group of volunteers there that built and maintain that course. There is a willingness to come help get Sugaree cleaned up and open again. I'm not you, and I don't own that gorgeous property, and I'm not even sure it's proper etiquette to suggest it, but Rich, if you would consider our offer to come help, many of us want to be a part of something we love so much. I am POSITIVE the Asheville people would want to participate, a number of us from Charlotte will come help, heritage farm folks would be there. This is a big and loving community. Please give it some thought. And again, I appreciate you more than I can ever articulate.

I've had some volunteers in the past, and most only want to work for an hour and then go play a round. Some may have moved over to Heritage Farm. I don't want to pull from that pool.

Last edited:
Thanks. If this doesn't work, there is always Rave music festivals for phase 4...LOL. I will notify here if we get the baskets back up. If so,gonna probably have to re-vamp to accomodate bike trails...may back it down to 18 holes.

I'll come DJ for it 😁

I completely understand and respect that, Mando. I hope I'll be the first one you call when and if Sugaree returns. Special place in my heart for her. My wife has been diagnosed with cancer since we last spoke. Our lives are turned upside down, but I always think of the beautiful places in my life when faced with challenging times. Sugaree is one such place, and it really does help. Thank you. Best wishes for you.

So sorry to hear that Mark, I hope she has one of the more treatable forms. If you need a break at some point, come up and we will do a bike ride.

So sorry to hear that Mark, I hope she has one of the more treatable forms. If you need a break at some point, come up and we will do a bike ride. Just to be clear, opening the course will only happen if and when bike trails go in, so it's a long way off...if ever.

Latest posts