• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Suggestions for Starter Women's Bag

light and baseline plastic. Premium plastic is going to be to stable for her unless she is good. It is crazy how different a dx and champ leopard are.

I am a female and my first disc was a 149g dx valkyrie. I also used my boyfriends buzz. They were the reason I stayed interested in this game. The valkyrie was amazing compared to trying to throw the men's discs. I moved up pretty quickly to a 150g star valkyrie (which is now my turnover driver). The one disc that changed my game dramatically and probably kept me from giving up is a 167 star stingray. I hated holes that went right (RHBH) until I discovered that disc.

^^^This sounds opposite logic. Understable in DX, and then beat, is scary understable, and I suspect that's the only reason 170w flies for you. Vision might be a little too fast for you, understable or not. "Angular momentum" sounds more like early fade to me. Normal weights to 150's is reverse development. 150's are thrown as a preference by some. My advice would to be stay understable, in at least low 160's, if not 150 class at your power level.

I've gone back and tried 150s again, and even though they aren't much less distance, they are less, and with 100 ft throws, every foot counts. I'll admit that it's not necessarily a fair comparison, because I don't have identical discs in both weights. However, it seems to me that if there's no distance advantage in throwing 150s vs 170s, then if nothing else, it seems like the 170s would build up arm strength. I do want to do more testing once the weather dries up, but for now, it seems reasonable to stick with what's getting the best distance, as long as it's not creating issues.

BTW, even with scary understable, I still can't make my disc go right, but I'm able to throw with a relatively consistent line. I've learned the method of creating anhyzer by arching your back, but I don't have enough consistency with that to incorporate into my regular game. From my perspective, I haven't found anything I'd consider to be "too understable" for the way I throw.

I've gone back and tried 150s again, and even though they aren't much less distance, they are less, and with 100 ft throws, every foot counts. I'll admit that it's not necessarily a fair comparison, because I don't have identical discs in both weights. However, it seems to me that if there's no distance advantage in throwing 150s vs 170s, then if nothing else, it seems like the 170s would build up arm strength. I do want to do more testing once the weather dries up, but for now, it seems reasonable to stick with what's getting the best distance, as long as it's not creating issues.

BTW, even with scary understable, I still can't make my disc go right, but I'm able to throw with a relatively consistent line. I've learned the method of creating anhyzer by arching your back, but I don't have enough consistency with that to incorporate into my regular game. From my perspective, I haven't found anything I'd consider to be "too understable" for the way I throw.

"arching your back" for anhyzer...haven't heard that before. What you want to do is tilt the outside of the disc up and/or lower your shoulder a little, finishing the throw not on a level plane. Or just OAT it. Wait until you bump your power level up, even just moderately, you'll have trouble keeping lower speed/lower weight understable discs in the air. They will either go way right on you or turn over into the ground. Of course, there's always the hyzer flip.

I've seen this work well:

150g XLor Leopard
163g Buzzz or Roc or Comet
169-170g putter up to 175 for the putter

For the win!!
I tried a lot of putters before settling on the Soft Banger. The thumb track really helped make my grip and throw super consistent.

There's nothing wrong with spotting her a stroke each hole, or making it a "touch any part of the basket" hole-out for the first year, just to build confidence, either. I still almost always play from the short tees (if available) just because I'll never be competitive with the guys on distance so it keeps the frustration level to a minimum.

Last edited:
Try finding other women for her to play with, too, as competing with the SO can cause major friction and frustration.

Only partly right now. We still don't have internet at the new house yet.

Soon, though....very, very soon! :thmbup:
Didja miss me????:popcorn:

I've been working on a set for my GF. I'm going to give it to her for her Bday, but don't worry girls, she's getting a "real" present too.
so far, this is what I have, but its not set in stone, I'd love some suggestions. from reading so far, I have a feeling I may need a different driver for her.

167 used pink Z Avenger SS or 165 new pink ESP avenger SS
161 GL River pearly blue or 165 used blue cyclone
165 red proD Buzzz
160 Orange Omega SS

are these good starting discs for a girl? She really doesnt have much of any sporting background other than a rec softball league.

My wife's bag...
159 gl river
154 champ valk
161 sirius jls
152 vip northman
154 echo star leopard
167 dx cobra (her fave)
164 x buzzz
170 dx wedge
168 zero spike(x2) small rim for small hands

All packed in a revo dual light backpack. She feels better about being able to carry everything she thinks she might need (rain jacket, gloves, snacks, baby wipes, bug spray, etc

Last edited:
Although the rim on the Nuke is a little big I recently got a few light(160-164) Nuke SS's. I've had some of the ladies grip them to see if they thought they could throw them. Currently no one has picked one up. Soon we will have an adventurous young lady give one a try.

I've been working on a set for my GF. I'm going to give it to her for her Bday, but don't worry girls, she's getting a "real" present too.
so far, this is what I have, but its not set in stone, I'd love some suggestions. from reading so far, I have a feeling I may need a different driver for her.

167 used pink Z Avenger SS or 165 new pink ESP avenger SS Waaaay to fast for a beginner!
161 GL River pearly blue or 165 used blue cyclone May or may not be OK. I'd go slower and straighter, like the XL or Leopard.
165 red proD Buzzz Good call
160 Orange Omega SS Great starter but I'd go heavier, and let her try some other ones out once she gets to playing more

are these good starting discs for a girl? She really doesnt have much of any sporting background other than a rec softball league.
If she has an arm from playing softball your choices may be OK, but see my notes above. Stay with nothing faster than the XL for now (JMHO).

Make sure you get her a good quality bag like the Innova (not the Starter but the next one up), or the Fade Crunch Box.

chrishysell said:
Although the rim on the Nuke is a little big I recently got a few light(160-164) Nuke SS's.
Unless you've got chicks with big arms, the Nuke is just too fast for most of us.

If she has an arm from playing softball your choices may be OK, but see my notes above. Stay with nothing faster than the XL for now (JMHO).

Make sure you get her a good quality bag like the Innova (not the Starter but the next one up), or the Fade Crunch Box.

Thanks for the advice! I thought that with the understability of the avenger ss it would be ok. I have a 170ish X XL, with a "pretty" pink and yellow starburst tie dye, but I think it will be too heavy. I'll have to keep an eye out for something lighter.

I also have a brown crunch box thats in decent shape, but its brown...

This one is cute AND fun!

louis-vuitton-aquarelle-bag.jpg

I was thinking of that to, but honestly thats alot of cash. Youd come out alot cheaper just getting some nice quads for this.

3col_lg_cleaning_supplies_in_and_around_green_bucket_white_bg.jpg

+1 to all the advice regarding looks. I know I am generalizing, but men value performance more than women do, and women value asthetics (and practicality--but this is less relevant) more than men do. Just ask your car insurance salesperson. If she is excited by the discs--graphics, tie-dyed, pearly/girly/whatever-floats-her-boat plastic, she'll be more excited to play. All discs aren't going to perform the same for all people, so respect her right to experiment. Also, finding other women and/or other couples to play with--especially if the woman is a friend of hers, as opposed to being your buddy's gf (it matters sometimes)--would also help. And finally, I know many men--and I struggled with this when I was younger, so I am not a saint myself--who either patronize (overly enthusiastic encouragement) or micromanage (trying to correct EVERY move their S.O.s make). It is hard for many men to find the right levels of encouragement and instruction to provide. I have no idea if this is an issue in your situation, so you will have to do some personal reflection and decide for yourself if it applies or not.

This is a noble ambition, my friend, and I hope it works out well for you. The fact that you are also getting her a non-DG related present reflects well on you and your desire to introduce her to a past time you so obviously love.

And in the Louis Vuitton vs. Quadshocks debate, the successfully married man knows that the answer is actually "all of the above". :)

my gf's bag:

163 JLS
165 Z Buzzz
165 X Comet
166 Soft Warlock

I had the same issue - my heavy discs all fading when she threw them. That 165 Buzzz though is money for straight shots, and that X comet for nice turnovers. Similar to ya, my gf doesn't love the game like I do and she's had her fill after 10-12 holes, so I can say honestly the biggest piece of advice I have is to not put pressure on her to keep playing. That tension may spill over into non-dg related stuff and nothing good comes of that.

I actually got my GF a Louis Vuitton bag for Xmas one year, she was super happy, loved it, but she's so scared that someone will steal it, she rarely carried it. and now 4 years or so later, they seem out of style, no? ...sigh.
Too bad its not large enough to carry discs, at least it woudl get some use.

Latest posts