• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Suggestions for Starter Women's Bag

ishelost

Hey Everybody,

I am really trying to get my girlfriend into discgolf. She will eagerly play for nine holes when it is just her and I. However, she gets frustrated about halfway through a course and stops giving full effort. Then I have to drag her along counting down the holes all the while promising that it is almost over. Don't get me wrong, I love having her out there. But I want so much more! I want her to beg me to go play a round with her. I want her to come out to league and play tournaments with me. I want to catch her watching you tube discgolf videos late at night. I know this may be a far fetched dream, and it may only be the result of (in my opinion, not hers) too many missed tournaments and neglected casual rounds with friends because we had other plans or she just felt like sitting around. I really want her to share this addiction with me. Then we could be mutual enablers.

Alright, to my question now. When I go out and play nine holes with her I let her use some of my discs (it helps that I have a good selection of pink ones from which to choose). I have her throw a comet, sidewinder, cheetah, anything understable. They are also all too heavy for her. I know it is more in the form than anything else, but I want to buy her a three disc starter kit catered to her needs. She is about 5'2" with a small frame and throws backhand. Any suggestions/help from the lady discgolfers out there or guys who have faced this challenge before would be greatly appreciated. What three discs should I buy her?

Thanks

Hey Everybody,

I have her throw a comet, sidewinder, cheetah, anything understable. They are also all too heavy for her. I know it is more in the form than anything else, but I want to buy her a three disc starter kit catered to her needs.

Thanks

Id say that this is a pretty good start. I did the same for my gf as well but Im in the same boat as you, where she really has to get dragged through the back 9.

You mention the discs being too heavy for her, so I think a simple solution would be, look for some super-lights. They make a pretty good variety of 150g discs, which would ideally help with this problem.

My girl throws:

150 Star Valk (Breast cancer awareness pink, her fav.)

150 Champ Eagle
150 Champ Leopard

150 DGA Squall

150 DGA Reef

This covers about everything for her. Every once in a great while she'll grab a meat hook from me to throw in the wind, but she's mostly self sufficient with the equipment she has. I tried to make sure her discs were well balanced before she worried about their cosmetics. She just had to have her pink Valk though.:confused:

My girl frien throws a 145 archangel, 162 rw-pro Ontario roc, and a 174 r-pro dart. She has done prett well so far

This one is cute AND fun!

louis-vuitton-aquarelle-bag.jpg

Anything understable and < speed 9...and 150 class would be best. Gotta be able to flip up flat and/or turnover slightly to get good flight at very low power levels. Specifically I would suggest DX Leopard, Comet/Meteor, Glide, Fuse, Stingray, and even a 150 weight Maximizer(Clearwater DG has them). Also maybe a 160w River, they can be found.

My wife putts with a Rhyno, the smaller rim fits her hand better than a normal big bead putter. She also loves her Panther for a turnover mid and likes Millenium OLF's and roadrunners off the tee. Try getting used discs in the 160 range that are allready beat up.

My wife throws:

150 star teebird
2 150 dx teebirds (one straight, one beat)

a sweet pink Pro Line Spider (~167g i think)
and a JK Aviar 172g
all in a pink Fade Crunch box

She loves the 150 teebirds and throws them quite well, i would recommend those first and foremost. She's tried 150g putters but prefers the 172g...150 putters are tricky to control and easy to overshoot with.

4 months ago, I would have agreed on the 150s. However, since then, I've found that I do better with about a 170 disc, in a beat dx understable mold. They're certainly not pretty discs, but they get the job done. My husband gave me a 168gm Vision, nice and shiny new for Xmas, and as understable as it is, I throw it shorter than my beat 170 dx gazelle. This is RHBH, and I'm also 5'2", with very little arm strength. The extra weight is nice if you don't have much spin, because it gives you more angular momentum, and results in a longer flight. Someday I hope to improve my form enough to go back to 150s, but I've found that the heavier discs have made a significant difference in my game.

4 months ago, I would have agreed on the 150s. However, since then, I've found that I do better with about a 170 disc, in a beat dx understable mold. They're certainly not pretty discs, but they get the job done. My husband gave me a 168gm Vision, nice and shiny new for Xmas, and as understable as it is, I throw it shorter than my beat 170 dx gazelle. This is RHBH, and I'm also 5'2", with very little arm strength. The extra weight is nice if you don't have much spin, because it gives you more angular momentum, and results in a longer flight. Someday I hope to improve my form enough to go back to 150s, but I've found that the heavier discs have made a significant difference in my game.

^^^This sounds opposite logic. Understable in DX, and then beat, is scary understable, and I suspect that's the only reason 170w flies for you. Vision might be a little too fast for you, understable or not. "Angular momentum" sounds more like early fade to me. Normal weights to 150's is reverse development. 150's are thrown as a preference by some. My advice would to be stay understable, in at least low 160's, if not 150 class at your power level.

You can find lighter than the 150's also. Might be good option.
My wife- 4'8" <100lbs throws a 162 Omega SS, 151 Champ Teebird that has been ran over, and a 167 Roadrunner because its blue and has a sparkle stamp...

Looks and light are your best option man.

My girl throws
166g Yeti Aviar (PINK)
137g DX Shark (best beginner disc IMO)
150g DX Roc (PINK)
154G Star Japan Open Leopard with double Blowfish Art
150g DX ArchAngel
127g! DX Valkyrie (She LOVES this disc) (also... PINK)

Here is the bag she made:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30951

Hero Disc, and the cool assortment of 150 class discs they have, is a good place to start.

Last edited:
Hey Everybody,

I am really trying to get my girlfriend into discgolf. She will eagerly play for nine holes when it is just her and I. However, she gets frustrated about halfway through a course and stops giving full effort. Then I have to drag her along counting down the holes all the while promising that it is almost over.

Spot her a stroke per hole. Try a round where you both play an all putter round from the short tees. Loser makes dinner!

Latest posts