• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

super sekret teqniques

Blake_T said:
something no one has mentioned...
start all of the "hammer pounds" with your wrist open (for sidearm/overhand swing this is the wrist bent back, for backhand, the wrist is bent closed).

I kind of thought that was implied since in order to hit a real nail with a real hammer the wrist has to be open. But then again, I am sure that there are a few people who will read this that have never swung a hammer in their lives. :wink: What ever happened to building a tree house like i did when i was a kid in the late 80's

I will update my posting with blake's additions when i get done eating these hot wings. typing tends to get a little messy.

Blake_T said:
each attempt at #4 has failed to build off of the first 3. but i will summarize them as well:
#4A - Sling the Yo-yo - teaches the feeling of palm ejection. Failure at incorporating timing with the hammer-in.

#4A - Slinging the Yo-yo is a drill that is used just like it sounds, though incorporates a very neat end result.

For this drill, you start with the disc in your hand gripped like you're going to throw a tomahawk. Start with your hand up near your right shoulder like the very first drill in this series. (As Blake pointed out: with your wrist cocked back.) You'll swing down and Pound the Hammer, though stopping at what would be the point of ejection (when you feel the 'hammer' end of the disc starting to take off) and gripping like mad. The disc should not leave your hand. What you should have effectively done is swung the disc down and around your hand only to end up holding the disc as if you were about to throw it backhand! The second half of this exercise then, is to loosely grip the disc in a backhand position at your side where you ended up, with your wrist closed. Then you'll swing your arm up toward your shoulder, and Pound the Hammer in reverse - this time ending up holding the disc as you started, in the forehand position.

This drill is the the very beginning of seeing how this all ties into throwing backhand.

Blake_T said:
#4B - The Flip-Back - teaches the feeling of the disc pivot and the "nudge" that initiates it. Failure at incorporating timing with the hammer-in.

This drill is essentially the same as the Yo-yo drill, only for this drill you will be practicing the motion in the backhand throwing stance/position. This is similar to how drill #2 teaches you how to feel for a forehand throw, only working towards a backhand throw feel. Standing in what would be very close to a right pec drill positioning, you'll start with the disc slightly below your right (or left if it feels good for ya) pec with a loose backhand grip and your wrist closed. You'll then pound the hammer out in front of you as if the nail you're trying to hit were at 10 or 11 o'clock. Same as in the Yo-yo drill you will use the discs momentum and swinging hammer head along with the snapping of your wrist to bring the disc around your hand to end up in a forehand grip in front of you. (Front actually meaning to your right - aimed towards what would be your target.) From this position, just like in the Yo-yo drill, you will then swing your arm back around and pound the hammer in front of you towards your left, snapping your wrist and thus swinging the disc back around your hand and into a backhand grip.

I don't know that I can accurately describe drill #4C. I remember that it involved holding the disc much lower (between the belt and the knees), and that there was discussion of sweeping of a broom or a slapshot in hockey as well as that of a steering wheel. I think I was having not only terrible phone reception, but also information overload.

USAnarchy said:
What ever happened to building a tree house like i did when i was a kid in the late 80's

Treehouses weren't invented when I was a kid growing up in the early 80s. :wink:

Alright! Now if we can only get someone to post about the Backhand "Pound The Hammer" we should be in business and basically have people half hitting their throws.

you transfer the sidearm motion into the backhand motion and vise versa. sidearm grip before the pull through is a pre wrist bend - to the follow through with wrist extended as a sidearm shot, is in fact a BH pre wrist curl before the pull, then you go back and forth.

i figured this out the very same day Blake did, i think our minds were synchronized that day.

no go through the sidearm motion with wrist extension at the end, and stop and notice where the disc is positioned at that point....its a backhand right? yes, and go through the back hand motion from there with wrist extension at the end.

thuracine187 said:
which is more important late acceleration or disc pivot? which should i focus on?

If you focus on the disc pivot using these exercises and really, truly get the "Feel" down, then when you work on late acceleration, you will be able to "Feel" if you are still "Pounding The Hammer" and getting the disc to pivot.

That is the beauty of these exercises. If you do it wrong it doesn't "Feel" right; but you have to spend the time learning what it "Feels" like first to know when its missing.

In fact, i would go so far as to mention that this might be a good primer for you to do before each round of disc golf.

As far as aiming, Blake told me something that got me very excited.

When you are "Pounding The Hammer" backwards, basically starting at the right pec drill starting point, notice where your arm finishes. More than likely your elbow is slightly bent and your arm is pretty much in line with your shoulder.

Now look down your arm to your hand. Where is your thumb pointing? Exactly where you should be aiming, as this is where the disc is going to go.

Its so simple, i almost didnt believe it until the next day, but damn skippy! if that isnt exactly where the disc comes out of my hand everytime. That right there alone is worth anyone using these exercises.

Blake, would you mind reiterating your newer style baseball swing correlation? I think the differences between the two styles really translated well with me on the phone the other night and should be able to help others as well.

So after two sessions out in the field after practicing the techniques I was able to get consistently get a loud *snap* while releasing the disc RHBH in addition to another 30' added to my drives consistently. Im still incorporating it so Im expecting some extra distance in the near future thanks for all the work and write ups everyone :).

One overall question, in these drills is the point to get the disc really moving and then clamp down or simply to feel the manipulation?

Also a note, a slightly worn DX disc hasnt required any taping to avoid blisters for me.

Both.

Well, i say both. Yes you should still be trying to grip it at the last second, but yes their main goal is for you to learn what a correct throw "Feels" like including the manipulations so that when you do not perform it correctly, you can make the changes needed for your next throw.

i have started to pound the hammer a few times before i get on the tee pad, and then once im on the tee pad, i pound the hammer one more time and pause it at the end so that I know i am aiming where i think i am aiming.
'
remember, one goal of practicing these exercises is so it becomes second nature and you no longer have to think about it. Thinking is dangerous when you are on the tee pad. I can only tell you that the majority of the time that I am thinking to try and do a certain thing, i end up doing a negative version of it. If i just trust my shot, and trust my line, then good things generally happen.

[edit: as someone pointed out to me, I need to state that there is a difference between figuring out your plan of attack for the hole, and thinking something like "Dont Hit That Tree" which causes you to subconsciously focus on the tree, thus causing you to hit it. ]

So I guess for the record, I managed to develop a usable 250-300' forehand after going out and messing with this drill in my fieldwork today. That's pretty awesome. I feel like a dope for not being able to figure this out sooner, but I'm pretty grateful for the write-ups and info. Thanks!

Ok. I've been doing some thinking after my field practice sessions and I think this is a good place for me to ask the question with the given scenario and trying to work these drills.

In short the questions are: What can make you NOT get snap? Is it possible to get snap without wrist extension?

There is a lot of talk about how TO get snap, and maybe thinking about it backwards will get us going in a different direction to solve the problem and assist with these drills. I think I may be a unique case, although I could easily be wrong. :D When throwing normally I get MASSIVE snap. It sounds like I just WWF chopped somebody's chest. It's ridiculous. But even with that I'm only getting about to around 290 - 310'. When throwing normally, I can't say that I actively try to open my wrist like I do when I'm pounding the hammer.

When I've been working on these backhand hammer drills, I lose all of my snap and the disc feels like it's slipping out early. When it does slip out I can tell that I had everything else right, just something at the end fell apart. Also, when it's leaving my hand I can feel that my grip is just about to apex and there is a little pfft sound that I can hear the disc pulls off my first THREE fingers. (My normal snap is solely from my index finger.)

Any thoughts on this??

XvileX said:
Ok. I've been doing some thinking after my field practice sessions and I think this is a good place for me to ask the question with the given scenario and trying to work these drills.

In short the questions are: What can make you NOT get snap? Is it possible to get snap without wrist extension?

There is a lot of talk about how TO get snap, and maybe thinking about it backwards will get us going in a different direction to solve the problem and assist with these drills. I think I may be a unique case, although I could easily be wrong. :D When throwing normally I get MASSIVE snap. It sounds like I just WWF chopped somebody's chest. It's ridiculous. But even with that I'm only getting about to around 290 - 310'. When throwing normally, I can't say that I actively try to open my wrist like I do when I'm pounding the hammer.

When I've been working on these backhand hammer drills, I lose all of my snap and the disc feels like it's slipping out early. When it does slip out I can tell that I had everything else right, just something at the end fell apart. Also, when it's leaving my hand I can feel that my grip is just about to apex and there is a little pfft sound that I can hear the disc pulls off my first THREE fingers. (My normal snap is solely from my index finger.)

Any thoughts on this??
The audible *snap* sound has NOTHING to do with the snap we're talking about. =)

Well, ain't that about a bitch. Ha!

Guess I've been looking for the wrong things for a LONG time. I thought the two were directly related. :|

Latest posts