• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Super softies..

tland447

Par Member
So.. What are the benefits of super soft putters compared to anything else.. To me it seem to decrease range.

supposedley they grab chains better ( I haven't really noticed this), and some people prefer the feel of them.

Feel, chain gripping ability, and lack of bounce/roll if you miss. Plus they are awesome for catch type warmups and on the beach! My buddy has a a very old beat to sh*t Omega SS that you can literally fold and put in your pocket... he likes it for approaches and tricky putts and it's great for catch

aj

Yeah I have the Omega SS and at first I didnt like it but its kinda a handy little disc. I have a bag for it though haha.

they are good for approach discs but as pure putters they are more suited to a spin style putt. also nice in inclement/cold weather - especially when cold - for example, r-pro feels very close to dx when it is very chilly outside.

I watched a guy put with a blow fly and hit about 35% of the disc on the inside of the rim of the basket and saw the disc flop in.... crazy

i only use my blowfly for baskets on mounds or steep hills. much less chance of a blowfly hitting the ground and rolling 100 feet down a hill.

having said that, my blowfly did roll 30' on me once.

otherwise, i hate softies. i putt with a sss wizard that is actually very first. and i putt approach with a firm vp which is hard as a rock. love both those discs.

I watched a guy put with a blow fly and hit about 35% of the disc on the inside of the rim of the basket and saw the disc flop in.... crazy

i've done this a few times. it's freaky.

i've also sunk a putt from 10' that did the same thing, somehow flopped over the side, but didn't hit the chains and it was dead silent. the disc literally created no audible sound at all that i could hear. and because all my friends were silent watching me putt, we all just looked at each other aftwards and busted up laughing.

Yeah definitely the stopping factor. I got a Gumbputt but had to give it to my buddy so I didn't F up my already fragile short game. It takes a completely different approach to putting to be able to use one successfully and I didn't have it in me to relearn how to putt. That being said, my friend has been loving it for anhyzer approach shots due to the lack of roll. Now regarding the flop-in, it can also happen the other way around. I've seen a few putts go in that shouldn't have, but even more that actually bounced out of the chains where a firm putter would have penetrated. It seems you need to give the super softies more "oomph" to get them to take in the sweet spot.

I putt with a 174g SSS Wizard and it is getting to that super soft tacky stage where it just feels awesome. I've had putts go both ways for me.....I've had them hit the center of the chains and bounce right out. I've also had them hit the top of the rim and bounce up like it's going to go in and just fall backwards and out of the basket. I've also had putts land perfectly flat on the rim and just sit there for like 7 seconds before the putter just falls to the ground....my buddy putts with a focus and we never laughed so hard as when I putted and my putter hit the top of the chains and seemed to stick there for a second or two and just pop out of the basket...he then putts and hits the chains on the low side just above the rim and the chains spit him out as well....all within 15 seconds of each other.....it was like the basket was saying....not today guys...move on to the next hole...

it's like buttah

To me Putting is all about feel. How the disc feels in your hand when you are putting. How it releases from your fingers, etc.
Wizard's, Omega's, etc have that buttery feel to them & like 'Rocaholic74' says, they seem to get better with age (softer):hfive:.
Grippy-ness is higher than the Aviar P & A's I'd been using before.
Experiment yourself: Rub them up against the chains & you'll see the difference in grip. The chains slide off the side of the Aviar with little trouble but seem to snag a bit on the softer Wizard plastic.