• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Superclass?

I've played Blendon with a Zephyr and I think it's more challenging and fun than regular plastic.

I think the dates on the lists posted here---the discs, and superclass player ratings---are pretty reflective of how much of a bust superclass was. We could speculate on the reasons---maybe it was a bad idea, maybe it just couldn't make inroads in the crowded tournament calendar---but it certainly didn't get much traction.

The Zephyr is a great snow disc. We play Zephyr rounds in the winter. And the local private, pay to play course has been running a PDGA sanctioned tourney these past couple of years.

Love the Super Class!

I think the dates on the lists posted here---the discs, and superclass player ratings---are pretty reflective of how much of a bust superclass was. We could speculate on the reasons---maybe it was a bad idea, maybe it just couldn't make inroads in the crowded tournament calendar---but it certainly didn't get much traction.

Traction or not, SuperClass is no bust sir! :mad:

It's SuperAwesome :D

Also, in response to OP, the weight limits are the same as regular disc golf. I think "vintage class" might be more in your vein although I've yet to personally see a vintage class event.

Also again, I'd take a Te Moko/Hero 235 combination any day over just a zephyr.

Last edited:
Innova Apple was the best

^ Hmmm...any info on the Innova Apple or the Super Nova? I've never heard of the Apple but I do have a Super Nova for playing catch. Does this mean it's PDGA legal?

The Innova Apple was an ultimate disc with a smaller diameter than Ultra Stars. They were easier to grip for players with smaller hands and IMO, the plastic was better too.

Back in college it was a little too dangerous to huck our discs around campus so the Apple was our frisbee of choice for target golf. For me it had the best combination of distance and accuracy of any catch frisbee.

I had 3 but one cracked on a tree hit, one was run over by a car, and the other is lost somewhere in my garage.

I wish Innova still made them. They were awesome for playing catch at long distances.

The Condor, as we know and was discussed here, sadly isn't super class legal due to its beveled edge.

The Condor so wonderful because it's basically a BIG Roc. Could the bevel be replaced with something else to make it legal, like a Mako design?

A BIG Mako would be AWESOME. (I'm a Mako3 lover).

I picked up a Zephyr and my buddy got a Te Moko. We played a round at Blendon and it was just as much fun as I hoped it would be! Course par was still a little easy to break, but not nearly as much as with even one modern disc. I think this will become a regular thing for us (and any other regulars we can convince to try it).

Thanks to the OP for starting this discussion!

I'm sponsored by Daredevil and they make a world-class Ultimate disc in the GameDisc which happens to be PDGA-approved as a Superclass disc. I have a buddy who bags one and busts it out every now and again for certain shots. Whenever he does, it's hard to take the guy seriously as a disc golfer.

I think one of the major reasons the whole Superclass thing flopped is because with the discs being the size (diameter) that they are, it's tougher to get them to settle in the basket than a standard dg putter.

I think a few factors prevented Super Class from becoming a sustainable competition format. Disc variety that made a difference is limited. The Zephyr was such a dominant all around disc for the category, there weren't any other discs truly needed for your bag. Yes, the Te Moko and Super Hero were close to the Zephyr in performance but that was the problem - they didn't fulfill another niche needed in the player's bag like a putter, mid-range and various drivers in the regular game. Two of those three discs were made by Innova. Discraft didn't want to jump in the Super Class market more than they already had with the UltraStar being serviceable but not competitive with the Zephyr distance and its smaller diameter. If the Discraft Junior ultimate disc was made heavier, it might have contended with the Zephyr.

Another more subtle element killed it in Minnesota among the old school players. That was the fact that you were usually throwing full power Zephyrs on every tee shot whether air or rollers. A few of the guys told me they were throwing out their arms and regular DG was much easier on them.

I think part of what hurt it was that it was competing against regular tournaments. The calendar is pretty full in many places. Super Class asked people to skip regular tournaments to compete in something quite different, or to add more weekends to their personal schedules to add Super Class in addition to the regular events they played. Either way, I think it was a tough sell, at least at the level that would make it a viable competition format.

It might have come along 15 years after it should have. And today, might be better suited for casual play, or local league play.

If we could get ultrastars approved for superclass, I bet we could attract a bit of the Ultimate crowd...

If we could get ultrastars approved for superclass, I bet we could attract a bit of the Ultimate crowd...
They are approved. But they aren't competitive with the Zephyr. They certainly could be used so ulty players could practice their throws.

Latest posts