• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

SUPERWORLDS

Anyone who thinks this would be a good idea obviously hasn't ran a tournament, or at least not one with multiple courses in play. The PDGA got away from this model for a reason.

They didn't necessarily get away from it because it's not a good idea. Just that they had a better one.

Obviously, it was good enough to do at least 4 times, perhaps more.

But it's true that the logistics of running such an event are overwhelming. I played Charlotte and saw it firsthand. One of the many advantages of splitting up Worlds is that, by using multiple locations, you greatly increase the manpower available.

a future where we have 30 players show up at some random locale to determine the masters am woman champion just seems dumb to me.....maybe I am just weird:confused:

The slope's not that slippery.

But were it to happen, on great courses perfectly suited to your division instead of merely suitable, with the hosts can roll out the red carpet and really cater to the players instead of being spread thin over 34 divisions, it might seem special, too.

One of the drawbacks to massive worlds is that a city might have 15 courses suited for hosting, but only a handful of them are the city's signature courses, and only some divisions will get to play those courses, and then only once or twice.

I will counter with

Why Not?

Benefits: fun and festive atmosphere that players would enjoy being a part of as well as providing an actual economic imprint

sure there are drawbacks but why should we have a World Cup in Soccer....:popcorn:

Am Worlds for 95% of the players is a party and only about 10% of the field at Pro Worlds actually have a chance to win while several touring pros fleece their fanboys with merchandise for sale in the parking lot when they are not caddying for their girlfriends.

FWIW... A SUPERWORLDS probably wouldn't fly with the PDGA. I know there has been a few people that have tried to bid on a combined worlds in the past few years and have been told that it likely won't happen. Obviously things can change, but... not likely.

But, I always did love the combined worlds years.

FWIW... A SUPERWORLDS probably wouldn't fly with the PDGA. I know there has been a few people that have tried to bid on a combined worlds in the past few years and have been told that it likely won't happen. Obviously things can change, but... not likely.

But, I always did love the combined worlds years.

That's interesting, both that people have bid to do a combined worlds (seems like a big pain in the neck!) and that the PDGA turned them down. I mean, if it's a well-established TD and supporting club that have run successful tournaments in the past, why not let them have a crack at it?

Financially the combined worlds makes a lot of sense, because the pro divisions are a known cash drain whereas am divisions have the potential to be the opposite. So that works out on paper. The logistics of so many players/courses/divisions are still daunting, but again, if you have a bidder willing to take on that mantle...why not?

Just spitballing here, but the greater Denver area strikes me as a prime location for a "SUPERWORLDS." Lots of great courses there, and plenty of hotels and other infrastructure to accommodate 1000+ players. It's centrally located in the US, and has a large hub airport, so travel-wise it's about as close to optimal as you can ask for. Not to mention there are certain...uh...regulatory anomalies that may be attractive to many disc golfers, and also make that community more accepting of the disc golf crowd.

Yet despite all those factors, Colorado notably lacks a large/signature yearly Tour event. Why? Maybe the locals just don't have the appetite to host giant tournaments, and if that's the case I certainly wouldn't blame them. But if they DID want to throw a big one and showcase their disc golf scene, all the other groundwork appears to be in place.

#growthesport

... oh no wait... we miss the small family feeling of our little niche sport...

#shrinkthesport ?

Combined worlds is just not feasible, not in most any sport. Size matters and at some point the logistics are not feasible, at least not without Olympic level donor money.

The overwhelming issue is there are maybe 3 or 4 places in the world capable of hosting such an event.

Even if you find a place, like Charlotte or Emporia, that have the combination of quality and quantity, there are dozens of other logistical issues such as PDGA staffing, event staffing volunteers and just the totality of the effort in fundraising it would require.

Not to mention a hotel capable of hosting that many people, common venues like field events, finals and players meeting having the ability to host something like that.

The game has grown tremendously since 2012 - and that week was incredibly overwhelming. I can't imagine doing that again on the scale disc golf is currently at.

From a practical standpoint, any host team can create and develop a massive event with or without sanctioning and call it the Champions of the Universe or equally lofty title. Throw enough money in there with a solid plan and the courses to go with it and players may eventually come if not necessarily the first year. For example, BG AMs and GBO have become massive without being worlds events. PDGA sanctioning can help logistically to handle some functions but all big events require lots of logistical elements working together at the local level to be successful with or without PDGA help.

From a practical standpoint, any host team can create and develop a massive event with or without sanctioning and call it the Champions of the Universe or equally lofty title. Throw enough money in there with a solid plan and the courses to go with it and players may eventually come if not necessarily the first year. For example, BG AMs and GBO have become massive without being worlds events. PDGA sanctioning can help logistically to handle some functions but all big events require lots of logistical elements working together at the local level to be successful with or without PDGA help.

If your model is BG Ams, then you have an issue.

If your model is BG Ams, then you have an issue.
Not sure what you're getting at? I'm just talking about the large number of entrants that continue to come and play every year with more divisions contested than any other event than probably GBO. I agree the mechanics of how these events work behind the scenes is quite different between them.

I don't think it is a matter of...can we. It has been successfully done.

It is really a matter of logistics. There are VERY few places that have the courses, the TD's and volunteers to pull this off. There are few that honestly understand the MASSIVE scope of this kind of endeavor. The planning, the money, the help, the course work, the sponsorship, the political and civic buy-in.....endless.

The second matter is, does anybody want it? I don't. I have zero interest in hosting or helping in any pro event. I have zero interest in playing in any event with pros involved. I like AM Worlds, I am even more interested in an age protected Worlds. Bigger is not better, IMO. There can be much more attention given to me in a smaller Worlds. Better resources, better spotting, I would likely play better courses.....

Sorry, I am voting NO.

The overwhelming issue is there are maybe 3 or 4 places in the world capable of hosting such an event.

Even if you find a place, like Charlotte or Emporia, that have the combination of quality and quantity, there are dozens of other logistical issues such as PDGA staffing, event staffing volunteers and just the totality of the effort in fundraising it would require.

Not to mention a hotel capable of hosting that many people, common venues like field events, finals and players meeting having the ability to host something like that.

The game has grown tremendously since 2012 - and that week was incredibly overwhelming. I can't imagine doing that again on the scale disc golf is currently at.

I think the bigger issue on top of all of this truth, is that it will never have the actual feel of the desired tournament.

You aren't going to get a cozy Pro-Am feel. Look at the size of the MPO, AM1, and MP40 and MA40 fields at their respective worlds then stir in all of the other divisions, and then guess at the increase in attendance (possibly) from other parts of the world if this event were to be as big as this. The likely hood of seeing let alone rubbing elbows with people outside of your division is minuscule. People would be spread all over the place, and you will not have the days gone by party atmosphere as this is freaking huge worlds and people are there to compete.

IF it could get a venue that had enough courses
IF it could jump the logistics hurdles and bring in the requisite multitude of volunteers
IF it could be accomplished as realistically 4 major tournaments all at once

Would it have the feel that would be hoped for for this all encompassing superworlds?

I think the bigger issue on top of all of this truth, is that it will never have the actual feel of the desired tournament.

You aren't going to get a cozy Pro-Am feel. Look at the size of the MPO, AM1, and MP40 and MA40 fields at their respective worlds then stir in all of the other divisions, and then guess at the increase in attendance (possibly) from other parts of the world if this event were to be as big as this. The likely hood of seeing let alone rubbing elbows with people outside of your division is minuscule. People would be spread all over the place, and you will not have the days gone by party atmosphere as this is freaking huge worlds and people are there to compete.

IF it could get a venue that had enough courses
IF it could jump the logistics hurdles and bring in the requisite multitude of volunteers
IF it could be accomplished as realistically 4 major tournaments all at once

Would it have the feel that would be hoped for for this all encompassing superworlds?

You'd get some of that feel.

Not during play, of course, and depending on what you participated in. I was at Charlotte (1100 players), and stayed in the host hotel. That's being immersed in disc golfers, from everywhere, each with their own stories. In the elevators and lobby, at restaurants, at the banquet and meetings. I didn't go to the field events or parties, but joined the gallery watching the pros on an afternoon when I didn't have a round scheduled. Familiar faces I hadn't seen in years, and lots of new ones.

But......that's a minor benefit, not worth the trade-offs involved in putting on such an event.