• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Swing The Heavy Axe

Flashblastx

Par Member
Long time since I posted anything, took a little break from throwing and came back with a new refreshed view on the swing. While doing yard work and getting roots out I really noticed how easy it is to pump the swing or juice the swing at the right moment with a heavy tool. I hope you guys give this a shot with any heavy item like a sledgehammer or maul.

If you use the kenetic chain in the wrong order or rush it you will feel obliterated in just a few swings and tire out. However, if you swing the weight around correctly and wait for your moment to add some extra acceleration to the swing it will feel effortless and you will notice the difference in destruction!

This will also teach you how to use your arms correctly and what a taut pull/swing feels like. If you noddle arm it, the weight will smash down on you, if you pull it (like my first swing example) you will use much more energy and accomplish nothing.

If you wait for your moment of acceleration you can pound the crap out of it and it should feel easy. You must have patience and wait just like in the disc golf swing.

I realized all this time I was rushing the swing and not feeling the weight and when to swing it. This helps exaggerate the feeling. Sloooooow down don't throw fast and it's much easier to change your swing.

Also, only swing heavy ass objects, don't throw a disc for a week and see how much your comprehension of the swing changes. It's helped me immensely.

Swing example 1 bad, pulling too soon.

Swing example 2 good, waiting to accelerate.

Hope this helps, give it a try!

Dan

Had a recent post, about "nearly" the same. But yes, it's easy to feel how everything should be, when you're swinging heavy objects! I kinda visualize swinging a heavy bat when throwing my disc, so i don't get my arm Infront of the momentum.

Ps. My back hurt just from watching you swing that axe. Bend your knees buddy or you'll blow out your lower back. ( I know it was just for "show", but still 😉).

Patience, I keep hearing that more and more. But the urge to speed it up is so strong...

Didn't HUB swing a sledgehammer against a wall in a video somewhere too? Maybe I should find myself a heavy ass object...

I think this is a good example of why the "pull" method is bad, vs the leverage method.

When you create the leverage and then add power, it's easy.

When you start with adding power before you've created the leverage, you have to pull everything into the sweet spot and by that time, your muscles are exhausted. And over time that will create a huge drag on your whole system as it tries to drag your body into the leverage, vs you driving your body OUT of the leverage.

Swinging a golf club is basically this. You set the club up to a point where you can drive into the leverage harder causing a higher impact speed to the ball

We can do this with disc golf, we just gotta learn to swing, not throw.

This resonates with me as well, SLOW SLOW SLOW DOWN. I realize it sometimes but it is so easy to forget.

+1 Sheep on driving out of leverage. I've been thinking of the first part of the swing as adding 'weight' to the disc and the second part, from the pocket to the hot, as slinging that added weight down the fairway.

This resonates with me as well, SLOW SLOW SLOW DOWN. I realize it sometimes but it is so easy to forget.

+1 Sheep on driving out of leverage. I've been thinking of the first part of the swing as adding 'weight' to the disc and the second part, from the pocket to the hot, as slinging that added weight down the fairway.

It's far easier to accelerate something in motion than put it in motion.

Plus with how we are swinging the disc, out in out, when you try and muscle a disc, with a bad example here.

A lot of players will force out the "reach back" literally, then pull the disc into their chest, and pull it across their chest and throw it as hard as they can.

Thats so much wasted energy.
Does it work? yeah, it does, but ... your'e gonna hurt yourself, and you're limitations is set.

Vs easy swing back, swing into chest and drive through the hit.

Latest posts