• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Switch Hitting

I've recently been forced to learn to play left handed because of severe issues with the right elbow. I've gotten good enough pretty quick. I can't wait til my right elbow heals so I can play with both hands.
DSCJNKY

Ever since as a kid when I learned that other people are left handed, I've taught myself to use both hands for just about everything. In ball golf I carry 2 lefty clubs, in addition to 12 righties. Using both hands is huge in Ultimate, which I played for decades.

In disc golf it's all about spin direction. Although I know over 30 ways to throw a disc I find that in disc golf you only need two: a CW and a CCW. Most people spin a disc Clockwise (CW) with Right Hand Back Hand (RHBH) and Counterclockwise (CCW) with Right Hand Fore Hand RHFH.

All CW throws go from left to right across the thrower's body. All CCW throws go from right to left across the thrower's body. Doesn't matter which hand you use.

That means if an obstacle is in the way of your stance and throw on your immediate left, it will hinder all CW throws. An obstacle on your immediate right will hinder all CCW throws.

Another option is RHBH which spins CW and LHBH which spins CCW.

It is pretty easy to learn LHBH, because it is like batting right handed in baseball. And you know how to throw the back hand right handed so you can teach yourself the left hand BH.

Fastest way to learn is cold turkey, lefty drives only. And of course the practice field. I am still studying overhead throws....

Last edited:
It is pretty easy to learn LHBH, because it is like batting right handed in baseball. And you know how to throw the back hand right handed so you can teach yourself the left hand BH.

This... it only took me a couple weeks to start getting them out there. I just try to do everything lefty the way I would do it righty... and it's working so far.
DSCJNKY

There's a guy - James - in the So Cal Chain Gang who throws both ways. He's normally a RHBH thrower and then he goes and ACEs #16 lefty at Chavez Ridge in tournament play.

He's here on this site too but I don't know his nick.

Last time I tried throwing with my left hand I went about 60 feet distance, off about 80 degrees from what I was aiming at, and made my left arm hurt for about an hour. About the only thing that arm is good for is holding stuff down while I do stuff to it with my right side.
I'll stick to my forehand.

When my friend introduced me to disc golf years ago, he was stunned and confused that I used both arms to putt with. I am right handed but consistently drive with my left arm. this past year I decided to learn how to throw with my right arm to try and get bigger distance, didn't take long about three days to fine tune the mechanics. Whenever I jump in with a group of players they all seem to be surprised that I use both arms.

So my question is how many out there are able to "switch hit" consistently with accuracy?

been doing it for years and love it. you can do some amazing things when you master the backhand for both arms. check out this vid if you haven't yet.

Latest posts