• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Switch to MVP

I tossed inertias as my max D drivers for a while so shouldn't have any issue there. I love the 10 speed class for the wide range of stability from MVP. Motion to virus you literally have it all covered with the molds between.

better question... what would you consider to be the best beginner distance driver offered by MVP/axiom? I'm set on my mold type numbers for putt,mid,and fairway driver

Max D?

Hyzer flip style or OAT master?

I'm looking for a distance driver I can pump out to 350-400 and control it.

Woah. That's not beginner. That's advanced to pro.

Most disc golfers will only dream of throwing 400 feet. :) Like me. :(

:p

Also regarding OS DD's.....(FWIW I throw about 525'BH)

I like the Wrath as my slower, more controlled distance driver. It is very straight overall, but slightly overstable so it always wants to fade and it fights turning over on hard flicks and BH rips.

I compliment it with a Fireball and Insanity for more OS and US lines, but the Wrath is my go to.

I threw the Photon as well before the faster drivers came out. I think its the best one disc OS distance driver they make. Its OS enough to handle hard flicks into headwinds and fly true, but it still has glide. You can seasoned them or grab fission Photons to cover more neutral and US lines.

The Nitro, Defy and Octane currently make up my Max D discs, when I want more distance than the Wrath (Rare where I live).

The Nitro is fast, aggressive and fades hard. I think its too much disc for most people to use as a dedicated distance driver because its got a pretty aggressive fade, even thrown 500'. That being said I love mine for long hyzers and windy Max D shots.

The Defy is very straight, flying like a seasoned Photon. This would be another good choice for a single stable distance driver. Starts out with a pretty decent fade and loses LSS as it seasons. Headwinds will make it turn thrown 400'+ though, so I'd like towards the Photon more single mold moderately OS distance driving duties.

The Octane is fun as hell to throw. Less fade than the Nitro or Photon, a little high soeed turn, and lots of glide. Very long but definitely not OS enough to be a headwind workhorse.

For 350-400' power I'd go with the Tesla or Wrath.

Defy and photon are speed 11 vs nitro octane being 13 also.

I dont find the defy to be any straighter vs photon honestly and can hit 400' i have multiple stamped early versions of both maybe the defy was tuned down a little to be less OS. I literally use mine as they are interchangeable. Defy is nothing like my actual seasoned photons ive had hopefully they can work better together in current runs. Always felt like there was a missing link in the stabiltiy with 21mm from wave to vanish

(i assume a little over estimation from OP on D...)

I'm looking for a distance driver I can pump out to 350-400 and control it.

Woah. That's not beginner. That's advanced to pro.

Most disc golfers will only dream of throwing 400 feet. :) Like me. :(

:p

I basically agree with Hal here. There are some athletic types that can get to controllable 400' in less than a year of playing, but that's probably the exception to the rule. You should probably be thinking more about the "control it" part than the "350-400" part at this stage.

Defy and photon are speed 11 vs nitro octane being 13 also.

I dont find the defy to be any straighter vs photon honestly and can hit 400' i have multiple stamped early versions of both maybe the defy was tuned down a little to be less OS. I literally use mine as they are interchangeable. Defy is nothing like my actual seasoned photons ive had hopefully they can work better together in current runs. Always felt like there was a missing link in the stabiltiy with 21mm from wave to vanish

(i assume a little over estimation from OP on D...)

Will an envy, matrix, axis, volt ,relay, inertia, and a tesla cover all of the shots needed? and is there over lap i could rectify?

Will an envy, matrix, axis, volt ,relay, inertia, and a tesla cover all of the shots needed? and is there over lap i could rectify?

I know you're asking Aim, but in my opinion you need some beef for hooking overstable shots and higher winds. The Resistor and Fireball are both good options for this. The Matrix and Axis overlap quite a bit, especially out of the box. And the Envy also has a similar flight, but is shorter so you can get away with keeping 2 of the 3. For my arm, stable Volts and the Tesla overlap, but bigger arms may disagree.

I know you're asking Aim, but in my opinion you need some beef for hooking overstable shots and higher winds. The Resistor and Fireball are both good options for this. The Matrix and Axis overlap quite a bit, especially out of the box. And the Envy also has a similar flight, but is shorter so you can get away with keeping 2 of the 3. For my arm, stable Volts and the Tesla overlap, but bigger arms may disagree.

Nah man any input is welcome. The envy is meant for putting only. What would you suggest to replace the overlap between the Matrix and the Axis. I've been mulling over the the resistor replacing the volt and i keep picking up the volt i have in my room and looking at it.

I use the tesla like an OS volt but they can overlap for sure with different wts and once seasoned etc. You can have a tesla that is US (dome 135g-145g fission) to OS (flat top max wt) while all volts are stable to slightly OS.

I dont bag any other OS fairways or slower drivers.

Id pair a theory with a axis/matrix and throw that envy. Its not for putting only :D

Nah man any input is welcome. The envy is meant for putting only. What would you suggest to replace the overlap between the Matrix and the Axis. I've been mulling over the the resistor replacing the volt and i keep picking up the volt i have in my room and looking at it.

There's no need to replace the overlap, just pick whichever one you want out of the two. The Matrix has a lower profile, more sleek feel, and is a little more high speed resistant than the Axis.

The Resistor (speed 7ish, OS wind fighter, no turn at all) and Volt (speed 9-10ish, versatile control driver with some lateral movement) are very different discs and both can serve you well.

^Yea, I agree that a Theory is a good complement to the Matrix/Axis.

Last edited:
When I had the MVP/Axiom thing going this was my bag:
Atom, Ion, Axis, Vector, Amp, Fission Volt (so fricken sweet), Shock, Inertia, Virus, Octane

Sometimes I pull this bag out for casual beer rounds and I do really well most of the time. I just have more confidence in my main bag so this one doesnt see tournaments... maybe it should...

brb...putting the fission volt back in my main bag :D

For a decade my game has been max weight Voodoo, Firebird (pro and star), Star Destroyer, Star Wraith. That's it. From last summer to this summer i'd lost my drive distance so I decided to try something new. I took some lighter weight Photons for a test run. I'm converted. Looking for advice on what molds I should work into the bag.

Right now I've got 1 x Fission Photon 153 2 x Fission Photon 165, 166 1 x Neutron Photon 165 They seem to sit in the destroyer - wraith range with the 153 being closer to a wraith and the neutron closer to a newer destroyer.

I also grabbed a 175 soft electron atom. I can get it to hold a line 200'. Good spin. A Voodoo would flip to ground long before that. I also really like the small rim on this putter.

I've also picked up a 163 neutron tesla - it's pancake flat. I liked the rim in the store, but i'm not sure about it. I'm not getting a good read on it yet.

What recommendations do folks have for building around the Photons / Atom? Weights? Plastic?

Proton atom would be a great driving atom and electron will eventually season into US. Envy has a small bead but feels nearly identical to atom if you want a slightly more LSS version. Heavy proton atom should work though.

What about the tesla do you not like? I use them as slightly OS drivers but not many are FB OS. Some can be but also a little faster.

The resistor IMO is one of MVPs best OS driver options being a little slower but always FAF and come in max to 155 wts which all are OS. Motion would be my 2nd favorite but that thing is just beef for most players. It is a tesla that fades hard.

Atom can pretty much be a mid but if you like the feel/flight and want a little more speed the matrix midrange is a new offering that could pair well and be used as a single mold option.

I love the volt and relay- not that you need them but just sayinggggg... Good luck!

I played a more 90s style hilly heavily treed course this morning (Endicott Park - St Louis) as a way to give the Tesla and Atom a work out. Lot of 350' control shots. I was wrong on Tesla plastic - it's fission. Tesla shined in that technical control driver role. Took straight flat release well. I couldn't produce any hst. Reminds me a bit of a Z Flash - which is a mold I carried 12 years ago when I lost my last se teebird. This one is in fission - think neutron or plasma would be better.

Tesla is long. I over threw several holes. Need something shorter. Guess I need to try a volt?

Today really proved I need something to hyser flip. The 153 photon was worthless on a tight technical course. It's going in the bag for pure d.

Likewise I need a big hyser disc.

Atom did well but I can tell already I need a better plastic. It's already getting seasoned. A longer high spin mid-range with a small rim would also be good.

Leaning towards more 165 with Max weight mids and some 155 range distance discs.

My gyro set up is a little funky but you might glean something from it:

(Left-right = overstable-understable)

Putters: Pro. Ion (thrower), Ele. Ion (putts) Ions just do work and feel similar to Voodoos

Mids: Pro. Vector (domey is key for OS), Pro. Axis, Pro. Theory

Fairways: N. Resistor, N Volt, N Crave, N Signal

Controlled D: N Tesla, N Insanity These two really complement each other well

Max D: N Photon (flat and heavy), Plas. Photon, Plas. Wave

-----------------------------------------
Volts can fill your shorter Tesla slot, Clash and some Servos can too if you want to really slow it down from Tesla. Relay is probably the most useful FW driver for line shaping/woods. I use a Signal but they specialize as the "I need to go hard right but I have absolutely no FH" disc. Relay should be more usefully understable. For the big hyzer disc I alternate between a Resistor, Volt and Photon depending on the beef or speed needed. For that midrange slot I definitely recommend the Axis. I think it's MVP's longest mid and it has a nice, small rim.

AIM, Brotherdave - all very helpful comments. Thank you!

I'm not real use to courses in St. Louis - I'm from Kansas where we throw lots of big holes with a ton of wind. I just relocated here a couple years ago and my game hasn't translated well. Lots more technical courses with trees tight up on the courses. So my old bag of tricks isn't working well. The lack of midrange / fairway drivers was mainly due to a lack of need.

My FH is my most accurate and longest shot but I find it very hard on the body so I use it sparingly. I still use it regularly for fw shots that must break to the right - I have typically used a grippy pro firebird for that. Not sure what to replace this with.

If a hole is long to the right and calls for a big drive off the pad, I will FH a 175 destroyer. Hoping the Photon will take over that job.

The technical holes are a real challenge for me. The Tesla will work when there's room, but I'm finding I need shorter slower discs for many holes. Looking at the Neutron Volt and Amp for control drives. We've got a lot of tight right trees and occasionally I need to flip through them towards a basket - I think the Amp might be the solution. Reviews make Neutron Volt sounds like a SE Teebird. I like SE Teebirds.

The Matrix and Axis are both interesting. I'm avoiding Proton plastic (I don't wear my glasses on the course so I tend to pick solid discs (and preferably white) for locate purposes so I'll have to wait on the Matrix. I will certainly check out the Axis.

I haven't seen a resistor yet but I saw a motion at the shop the other day. I liked the rim. How do they sit in the Firebird / Predator range. I've thrown both. Prefer the Firebird.

The Relay is a technical course killer. I pair mine with volt/tesla. All i need to play a course decently would be a ion relay and volt or tesla.

Volts are popular for a reason. They're right up there with the Teebird as one of the best straight-stable fairways available. I bag two.

A Resistor makes for a great OS utility disc; it's a lot like a slower FAF Firebird. Great for forehands & thumbers.

Latest posts