• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Talk about uncool

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure there are different limitation for each division and as such, 11 folks weren't skipped. 3 MPO and 1 MG1... that doesn't necessarily make it right, but just wanted to be correct on the number of folks skipped.

i'd love to hear how you come up with that? look at the time they reg'd. 11 were skipped. amd nothing was ever stated about division limits.

Does the waitlist fee go to DGU, the tournament, or some split between them?

It's a little odd but it's part of the DGU online registration service. It's optional on the part of the TD (who can use it, or not), and the players who can choose to be on the waitlist---and pay---or not, yielding those spots to the people to whom the $5 is worthwhile.

As to the O.P., I'd be curious as to the reason for jumping people on the waitlist. There may well be a good reason, but without knowing it it does seem strange.
i am pretty sure it is split between DGU and the tournament. Like you said David it is just the way DGU is set up. the resource is amazing for TD's. i use it and i can't tell you how much work it saves me. But i was not a fan of the waitlist structure so i handled the waitlist manually myself. The great thing is you have that option as a TD. If you want to make people pay you can. if you don't the service is not mandatory.

I was only using the information given. It was just my speculation that each division has limits. Most larger tournaments do. Glass Blown Open for example has very specific limits on the numbers in each division... which would mean if an opening happened in one division, you couldn't give it to the NEXT wait list person if they didn't qualify for the opening. That's all...

Now I'm starting to agree with the person who said this wan't the proper place for the discussion. I just wanted to add a scenario that might explain something. If there are no published limits, then something like a sponsors exemption is more likely. Again, just wild speculation here without a lot of information.

Another conceivable legitimate reason---

The Earlewood Classic used DGU, and as spots became available they contacted waiting list members and gave them a certain time frame to respond. If the waitlist player didn't register, they moved down to the next name on the waitlist.

This may not be the case here, but it's one scenario in which waitlist players might get "jumped".

You know what else is uncool? Accusing a TD of being shady without bothering to find out the facts first.

The Earlewood Classic used DGU, and as spots became available they contacted waiting list members and gave them a certain time frame to respond. If the waitlist player didn't register, they moved down to the next name on the waitlist.

This may not be the case here, but it's one scenario in which waitlist players might get "jumped".
Was going to suggest this as well

You know what else is uncool? Accusing a TD of being shady without bothering to find out the facts first.

Also, this

I've been in shady businesses before (pro wrestling, for instance) and Disc GOlf usually keeps it's shade to a minimum. TDs really don't get anything for hosting a tourney, so the shade is usually kept to a minimum.

I can't get over the paying for the waitlist thing. Especially as it is non-refundable. That's total crap.

One instance of how a pre pay, non refund wait list could be useful at a larger event is, the TD would likely have less people to sort through and call and email and wait on. So i can see it expediting things a bit, so long as there are clear cut rules laid out as far as how they go about contacting you, how long tou get to respond, etc.

Not sure if id bother with it for a smaller event, but from a TD perspective i could see its value. Im on thefence about the non refundable part. If its refundable, it accomplishes less in terms of extra work for the td. Cancels out all the work he saved himself prior.

Wasn't the OP stating he was above these registered players on the list and was skipped? If not, then i'd agree this would be a valid reason for sure, and a jump to conclusions approved. I read his posts as he is above these folks on waiting list, and was skipped, but could have misread.

edit: it appears I did mis-read and this was just an assumption I made with no info to back it up. So OP, were you skipped, or just assuming folks were skipped?

Why don't you just ask the tournament director directly? I'm sure he'd be happy to explain the process.

Here you go:
The tournament was capped with 5 spots open to provide for mail-in entries that were yet to be received. If none were received, then the first 5 spots on the wait list would be given admission into the event. I did this specifically because of two people I knew who had mailed entries on Saturday (Jim Jungwirth and Boscoe Hansen). DGU did not allow us to add Jim and Boscoe to the event because it was full so we had to manually put them on the wait list and then add them. NO ONE WAS SKIPPED THAT WAS ON THE WAIT LIST.

Before you put yourself on the wait list you had to confirm payment. Why would you make the payment if you were so against paying? You also had the opportunity to see what number on the list you would be. Signing up was your choice. 27 players did the same thing as you (two of the players were offered entry and denied because of other things)

The $5 fee is non-refundable (which is explained on the event site at DGU). If the player is added from the list they are able to use that $5 toward the entry fee. Unfortunately DGU will not allow us that option at the front end so I will personally handing $5 to anyone who gets in off the wait list. DGU keeps $1 from every wait list entry. The tournament gets $4.

Money from the players who do not get in will be added to payout (acutally, $4 from each player).

Why do you pay to be on the wait list?
Because that is the way DGU does it. It also eliminates 50 people who say "Put me on the list" and have no intention of showing up. It shows a person is serious about playing.

I take slight offense to your comments. Some of the responders had already answered your question but I wanted to clear the reasons myself, as I AM the tournament director of this event and it was my decision. I cannot answer all of the DGU wait list questions as the co-TD handles online registration. Lastly, I explained in an email I received from you what happens to the fees...you knew about it from the beginning.

Sergio

Any word from the TD?

Wasn't the OP stating he was above these registered players on the list and was skipped? If not, then i'd agree this would be a valid reason for sure, and a jump to conclusions approved. I read his posts as he is above these folks on waiting list, and was skipped, but could have misread.

edit: it appears I did mis-read and this was just an assumption I made with no info to back it up. So OP, were you skipped, or just assuming folks were skipped?

no you are correct. i and 10 other people were skipped over. and no i was never contacted by phone or email.

Any word from the TD?

I am the TD and just provided a response above yours.

Didn't realize the event had so much press on this site. I didn't get to read all of the comments. Just finished doing so.

Smyth:
Have you played one of my events before? Nevermind, I know you have.
Then you would know I put as much as I can into the AM divisions as I can after I put in the mandatory $500 into pro divisions. We have never taken out fees for trophies, PDGA sanctioning fees/insurance, course rental for as long as I have ran this event (which would be 4 or 5 years now).

I usually put a sheet that explains HOW payout is determined. Last year it was not out because I wasn't as involved in the event. I am more than happy to explain at any time. Just ask.

I am the TD and just provided a response above yours.

Yeah, but, are you cool? Can you play guitar? Do you wear Ray Bans? Haul ass on a chopper? Jump a shark tank on roller skates? :|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts