• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Talking bout stalking (stalkers post here)

I have a dozen z stalkers, a couple glo, and my 1 proto esp stalker is still my favorite. I only thow the z when I'm afraid I might lose the esp.

I keep on thinking I'm going to replace my glow z stalker with a beat p-pd but my pd's aren't beating up that fast (haven't really hit much with em yet) and my stalker keeps paying off.

I guess I'll let this whole fiasco continue for a while.

nothin wrong with that! I still keep my esp stalkers and ppds in the bag together. My ppd is wearing down but I cycle mine. I also have different uses with the stalker than I do with the pd. All preference really.

btw. I looooooove my esp's. Grippy,stiff like my glo's,super straight still and a bit longer than my z/glo's.

booter said:
nothin wrong with that! I still keep my esp stalkers and ppds in the bag together. My ppd is wearing down but I cycle mine. I also have different uses with the stalker than I do with the pd. All preference really.

btw. I looooooove my esp's. Grippy,stiff like my glo's,super straight still and a bit longer than my z/glo's.

Damn it Booter, now I really need to get some ESPs.

I think I might break down and try one of these, I feel like it could replace my strikers and leopards.

It will audition next to strikers for a little while, but it's going to have to be really special to knock them out.

I auditioned the Glo z stalker for a few weeks. It flies some sweet lines with very different characteristics with regard to change of direction than my star eagles. After 2-3 weeks I ended up pulling it out of the bag after concluding that star eagles on their own were fine. About a week later I missed having the stalker flight shape for certain times. Now it's back in the bag, alongside a new and a beat star eagle, for when I want a slow driver shot that doesn't change direction in flight very quickly. Is it strange to carry both?

It's totally strange. You're a fucking weirdo. You need to send me your Stalker, so you can go back to DGR(r) Approved(c) Minimalism(TM).

On a related note, I was pleased to see that production run flat Stalkers fly nice and straight just like my first run does. Now, I don't have to worry about losing my first run, and I can just huck laserbeams without a care in the world!

PEW! PEW!

The Z Stalker was listed as my favorite disc for a long time, but times have changed a bit. What changed? I picked up an ESP Cyclone (one of the rigid/hard ESP blends), and started playing entire rounds with it. As it breaks in, I'm able to do all sorts of things that I couldn't ever do with the Stalker. Cyclone and Stalker are almost exactly the same speed, and have exactly the same power requirement. Where they are different is that the Stalker is largely a one shot disc: straight with little fade (when new the Stalker fades more, but as it breaks in, this tendency goes away almost completely). The Cyclone, on the other hand performs well on all sorts of lines. I've gotten beautiful anhyzers and turnover shots out of it, straight tunnel shots (but with considerably more fade than the Stalker), and long hyzer routes. The Cyclone literally does everything. Given the accolades and long history of this disc, it is truly surprising that one of these isn't in every player's bag.

But the Stalker stays in my bag, alongside the Cyclone, because during rounds I still find great use for the Stalker. For example I threw it from top of the world in Santa Cruz recently, and it held the line all the way to the basket, missed the chains by just a few feet. Most other discs couldn't be thrown that way since they would start to fade much earlier and end up in the parking lot; instead you'd have to come at the basket from an indirect line allowing for a hyzer finish. Another shot the Stalker excels at is the long slight anhyzer (i.e., gentle right turn) down a low tunnel. For this shot, the slight fade will straighten it out at the end and you'll get a nice landing. But for bigger annies, the Stalker's tendency to not fade results in the landing being a cut roll, and who knows where it will roll off to after that? The Stalker can also pull off a long hyzer, but if you err and it turns up to flat (or worse, slightly over flat) then forget about it, it will be in the schule (or the next fairway) for certain! The Cyclone, on the other hand, will come back, and lead to higher percentage results over all.

OK, so I got to test out the stalker next to my strikers for a round yesterday, so here are my initial impressions.

-Even though this disc is basically a fairway driver, it can definitely handle some power behind it. I have a Pink 175 Z Stalker and was able to throw it as far as my strikers (about 360-380'), but I definitely noticed that I had to work it a little more to get the same distance - mainly giving it more height to glide out since it's not as fast as a striker.

-Straaaaaiiiiggghhht. Pops out of a hyzer with power without flipping, stays flat when thrown with control. I'm sure the bead and slightly larger diameter have something to do with that. Much easier to power down on a straight shot than a striker - this is really where the difference in fairway driver categories becomes evident to me.

-Holds a line rather well, and I'm guessing that it becomes a fantastic turnover disc when it gets beat in. The speed of a striker causes it to unintentionally flex out of a turnover if you don't hit it perfect.

I can definitely see myself throwing this disc as my fairway driver. I was very surprised at the insignificant difference between the striker and stalker when thrown on the same line and height - the striker utilizes speed and the stalker utilizes more glide to get the same distances. I'll be auditioning strikers and stalkers next to each other in casual rounds for about the next month or so, and just going with the stalker during league rounds to see if I'm actually missing the striker. The stalker has the potential to take the place of my strikers and leopards - although I'll probably leave the leopards in because I'm so comfortable throwing backhand rollers with them.

Edit: The Stalker has me really excited as I can see it being more like a long comet when it gets worn in- and that's exactly what I've been wanting for a long time!

Sorry if this has been discussed already...

How does the stalker compare to a star TL? I've been really happy with the TL lately although people have been telling me I should try the Stalker as well. Overlap issues or no?

BTW, I've had 2-3 FR Buzzz in the bag since they came out (I've heard the Stalker is a longer Buzzz).

Thanks

victorb said:
I was very surprised at the insignificant difference between the striker and stalker when thrown on the same line and height - the striker utilizes speed and the stalker utilizes more glide to get the same distances...

Interesting, it seems like you have one of the "good" Strikers. My Striker is tons more stable than my Stalker ever was.

juju said:
Sorry if this has been discussed already...

How does the stalker compare to a star TL? I've been really happy with the TL lately although people have been telling me I should try the Stalker as well. Overlap issues or no?

BTW, I've had 2-3 FR Buzzz in the bag since they came out (I've heard the Stalker is a longer Buzzz).

The greater overlap in your bag would probably be between the Buzzz and the Stalker. It really is exactly that: a long Buzzz, but with even less fade when seasoned. I keep a beefy Crystal Z Buzzz in my bag, mostly in the role of "shorter Stalker."

JHern said:
The greater overlap in your bag would probably be between the Buzzz and the Stalker. It really is exactly that: a long Buzzz, but with even less fade when seasoned. I keep a beefy Crystal Z Buzzz in my bag, mostly in the role of "shorter Stalker."

In the same stage of wear, the Buzzz has less LSS than the Stalker. In fact, my Stalkers lost their HSS while keeping their LSS as they broke in. It still allowed a frozen rope type shot from a hyzer release though, just not as easily or consistently as I can do it with the Buzzz. The Stalker always has a little bit more turn and fade.

I have been trying stalkers on hole I have never used them on and in a lot of cases they are really doing it for me. The second hole on my home course has a line of trees on the left fairway that are just about 10 feet right of the teepad and start 40 feet out and then a row of trees all along the left side. it is a 351' HOLE. Usually I play a big hyzer and let it come in hard at the basket. Today I hyzer flipped the stalker, it snapped up nice and straight about 10 feet off the left trees, and then it faded out gently toward the basket for a 10' bird.

peppermack said:
I have been trying stalkers on hole I have never used them on and in a lot of cases they are really doing it for me. The second hole on my home course has a line of trees on the left fairway that are just about 10 feet right of the teepad and start 40 feet out and then a row of trees all along the left side. it is a 351' HOLE. Usually I play a big hyzer and let it come in hard at the basket. Today I hyzer flipped the stalker, it snapped up nice and straight about 10 feet off the left trees, and then it faded out gently toward the basket for a 10' bird.
What happened to the sweet graphic? :)

I've been throwing my 170 Cryztal alongside my 175 Z, and the cryztal is much more stable. Like champ teebird stable, but still has crazy amounts of glide. I'd put it right at a 0,2,4 using Joe's Flight chart categories...it really is a thing of beauty. I can easily pump this thing out to 360', without turning it over. Hoping my Z breaks in to be more workable on more lines, and the cryztal stays pretty stable.

Latest posts