• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tall baskets?!

I agree in most cases. I also do not understand how they are allowed in public parks as they are not ADA compliant. I remember several on a flat course I played in Elberton, GA including the first basket you see when driving into the park.

It's nice to have courses with some ADA holes, but it's not required even in city parks. A simple terraced area wouldn't be ADA, along with stairs, slopes on fairways more than a certain % slope, sand, etc.

I see that the thread was moved to course design forum to die a quick death.

Which it deserves. Because we really need a 49th thread debating the merits of elevated baskets. It's like the "should you return a lost disc" thread of the course design forum.

Which it deserves. Because we really need a 49th thread debating the merits of elevated baskets. It's like the "should you return a lost disc" thread of the course design forum.

Not nearly as many Layman Lawyers in the basket threads, though. The analogies seem to be more subdued, as well.

It's funny, but I played a course where virtually every basket was non-standard height---high on poles and mounds and sunken, but also many just 6-12" high or low. The baskets that were a little off annoyed me more than the extremes. I'd offer a philosophical argument as to why this is so, but frankly, I haven't thought of it yet.

Not nearly as many Layman Lawyers in the basket threads, though. The analogies seem to be more subdued, as well.

It's funny, but I played a course where virtually every basket was non-standard height---high on poles and mounds and sunken, but also many just 6-12" high or low. The baskets that were a little off annoyed me more than the extremes. I'd offer a philosophical argument as to why this is so, but frankly, I haven't thought of it yet.

I'm guessing that the extreme changes in basket height made you focus consciously that you had to change your putt style. The small changes in basket height were probably less of a conscious change and was more motor memory... And probably resulted in more cage hits/band area hits. Just my guess.

The baskets that were only a few inches high may have been made that way by erosion. I know of a few baskets at a course near me that I know are getting higher over time as the dirt around them gradually erodes.

What is bad about them? Its not any different then an uphill putt on a course where elevation isnt really in play.

Agree if they are not at regulation height.

From the PDGA Course Design Guidelines:
"Manufacturers are required to produce targets so the height of the basket rim above the playing surface will be 82 cm +/- 6 cm. Targets should be installed level with the ground below them even though course developers may install some targets where the height falls outside the 76-88 cm manufacturing range. The PDGA Course Committee suggests that no more than 6 targets out of 18 be installed outside the manufactured height range with just 2 or 3 being preferred. Targets suspended from above can be fun for recreational play but there should be a way to secure it from swinging freely during sanctioned play."

So... Why do people hate these? I really dont understand that stance. This is disc golf even the PDGA says it can be FUN! .... I guess we know who likes fun around here and who doesnt!:D:p

A semi-local course has four of them.

#1 - No real issue, the hole is a kind of tight tunnel with a finish to the right. Lefties and forehanders can play this hole, but right-backhanders are basically playing for placement. It makes the putt a little more challenging on otherwise would have been a bland par 3 in the woods hole. The basket's height comes into play if your placement shot was not perfect and you still want to get a birdie.

#2 - This one is actually a good one. It is a shorter hole, right between powering up a putter or powering down a mid. It is flat hole with a fair direct window at the basket. You are only going to be in trouble if you early release or griplock. However, the back end of the fairway intersects with a later fairway, so an OB line has been established, meaning that you run the risk of going OB if your grossly overshoot your ace run. With the basket elevated, it brings a greater risk versus reward if you want to run the basket. Usually a putter is a better choice here because they can die before making it to the OB line. This elevated basket makes sense.

#3 - This basket is just cruel. The majority of the hole is a standard right to left dogleg that a right hander can park all day long. Again, it is between a putter and midrange distance with mature trees on both sides but otherwise a fair fairway. The risk of the hole is that the basket is on the edge of a quick drop-off. The elevation drop immediately behind the basket is thick with shrubbery and trees, but if you sneak down, you will go a long ways and will add at least two, if not more, throws to your score fighting back up. By elevating this basket, it has essentially made the risks versus reward for going for an ace too extreme. By throwing higher at this drop off, if you are basket high and miss, you may now have enough height going over the shrubbery to clear all the way down to the highway. I get the idea of raising it; if you are short, you have an even greater chance of something going wrong with your putt. I know that not every hole needs to be an ace run, but now the risk is so extreme (playing solo there is a decent chance I am losing a disc) that all I do now on this hole is play for placement, every time. Even on days where I am just throwing for fun and want to ace run baskets, score be damned, there is no enjoyment spending 20-30 minutes looking for a disc.

#4 - I am sorry, I know the guy that maintains this course a great guy and does a lot for the local scene, but this basket is stupid. It is the last hole on the course and without it it is difficult enough. Not that you want a creampuff to end your round, but to walk away from a course playing a gimmick hole is just... The hole is difficult enough without it, and without it you still get the taste of what the course's identity is. Short placement it is a tunnel shot for 280+ feet, thick forest on both sides, and a minor elevation change at about 100 feet. The fairway is maybe 10 feet wide, and any chance at a run or parking it, you need something that can maintain a straight line for the whole distance. Now, in the short position, the elevated basket is not that bad. You change a 280 foot drive into something that needs about 330 foot power instead. You can still run the basket without too much risk. If it were not for it being the fourth elevated basket on the course, it would be acceptable. However, in the long position it is just stupid. The basket is moved back to about 430 to 450. You still need that straight shot up to where the short basket would be, but once you pass this position, the park opens up to a normal "city" park kind of layout; mowed grass, open area, and only a few mature trees. There is definitely more room for error up here. At this point it is already a tough par 3. If you have played it well, you drove up or just past the short placement, make a decent approach that should have you under the basket, and elevated or not, you should have an easy putt. More than likely, if you are taking a bogey or worse on this hole, it is because of the opening drive and has nothing to do with the basket being elevated. With the basket now elevated, you may snag a player or two with a bad putt, but most players are likely just playing safe on this hole to preserve whatever score they have. Elevating the basket adds nothing in risk or reward. At this point it is pure gimmick, and you have already played three of these on the course.

Cool man made elevated basket-
82407060.jpg

Lame man made elevated basket-
df548e28.jpg

If you're going to put in an elevated basket it should be made so you can easily lay-up for a drop in putt.

Here's one at my course:

picture.php

This was taken as it was first put up... since then it's been raised a couple feet so that it is just high enough to still be able to reach in and grab your disc... this is the nicest tree on the property and I think that having the basket hang from it makes for a nice finish... but yeah, making a hanging basket that is the same height as a regular basket doesn't make too much sense..

I don't mind if they are up on a "natural" feature like a large rock or a stump. Or even on a man-made hill. But baskets stuck up on a tall post don't make much sense to me, and more than one or two elevated baskets per course starts to feel gimmicky.

Where a course is otherwise completely flat, I prefer a couple of artificially elevated baskets to make the course more interesting. They are best when used sparingly and selectively, say in the open (where wind can be a factor on long putts & approaches). Instead of leaving a 2-3 ft section of ugly pole exposed, box in the exposed pole with pressure treated 4x4's or flat stones to create a few steps and fill with dirt. Looks nice, adds challenge and functional (makes it easier to retrieve discs from an elevated basket).

I'd rather them not be extremely elevated. One of my fav courses has a hanging basket just a little too high for my liking. It does make it tougher though.

My homemade baskets sit about 3 inches higher with the portable bases. They'll be the correct height when they're in their perm places. There is also about 4 baskets at a course I built where they actually rose up a little from freeze/thaw. That's on me though because I had to pull up the concreted sleeves and move the heavy SOB's out of the muck they planted them in and move them to better and drier land. The concrete was whack shaped and tough to dig a hole large enough to slip them into. That and the baskets were fabricated at a welding shop and the poles were a lot longer than the standard baskets.

Latest posts