• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Technique Advice for High BMI

Tom_rrsh

** Feel free to skip to the TL;DR version**

First of all, hello! My name is Tom. I am a long time lurker, but I have been using DGCR as a resource for a number of years. I have been playing for nearly 12 years, but I am a devout amateur.

I tried throwing RHBH my entire first year, but I was embarrassingly bad and I was not getting better, so I switched to RHFH. I have been throwing almost exclusively RHFH ever since.

I am a big guy (250 lbs), and even though I am still relatively young (30 in one month from today) I am over a decade removed from my physical prime. I work a desk job, and struggle to get any physical activity in on most days. I have resolved to start playing DG more frequently to become more active. Since I am a big guy, who gets very little exercise, I have identified myself as "high risk" for injury.

I have been reading about disc golf injuries lately, and I am doing everything I can to prevent a serious one from occurring. Everything I have read, and anecdotal evidence from friends, suggests that BH results in fewer injuries, so I am considering developing a RHBH throw, and making this my primary throw. Being a heavy guy, I am worried about all that weight coming down on my right leg during my throw. I am also worried about hurting myself, simply because it is a motion that my body is in no way used to.

Bearing the previous three paragraphs in mind, coupled with the fact that I am much more concerned about my body than my score:

**TL;DR version: I am a large guy who throws RHFH trying to prevent injury***

Should I develop a BH throw or should I stick with the throwing motion I know?

If I should keep throwing RHFH, what should I know to prevent injury?

If I should switch to RHBH, what should I know to prevent injury?

Generally most injuries occur from overuse, from faulty movement/compensation, or from trauma. If you increase your throwing volume suddenly, you are asking for injury. Also if you don't warm up/cool down before and after throwing, you are asking for injury. It may not happen right away and/or while you are young (I'm calling under 35 "young") but down the line it can catch up to you.

Sitting is one of the worst things we can do. Posture degrades quickly, hip flexors get tight, alignment gets out of whack. Since you work a desk job, I would say to sit as little as possible, or take breaks from sitting. Find some time to work on mobility and strength. This can be as little as 30 minutes a day, and for most people represents giving up something simple like watching an episode of a TV show, or browsing the internet on the phone. Think of it as investing in yourself first of all, and your disc golf game.

Go check out the book Becoming A Supple Leopard by Dr. Kelly Starrett. This breaks down the various movement patterns, and gives you simple ways to improve your mobility. There is a helpful section where you can look up particular issues you may have (lower back pain, hip pain, elbow pain, etc.) and find out ways to alleviate it, and furthermore create a plan to prevent the issue from recurring.

Get stronger. No need to "get swole" or become a strongman or powerlifter. Use a simple plan, like Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 for beginners. Whether you have lifted before or not, take it slow and easy. In fact, that is one of the best principles of the program: slow, continuous progress. It is a marathon, not a sprint. One of the best things about the 5/3/1 program is that it incorporates things like throws and jumps, which will increase athleticism in addition to strength. Or if you want to start with simple bodyweight strength/conditioning, that works too. The goal is to get your body strong enough to be able to handle itself; you won't have to worry about whether your leg can handle your weight.

The backhand throw is a complex athletic movement; so increasing your abilities in this area through solid strength and mobility programming will 1) condition your body to meet the demands 2) increase your ability to be successful 3) prevent injury.

EDIT: Develop both BH and FH throws. If you have no physical limitation or injury history, there isn't really a reason not to. This will improve your game and your enjoyment of it. Make sure you warm up and cool down. Also check out the Disc Golf Strong videos online; they are legit. Some good ideas for warming up and general disc golf related movement.

Last edited:
Sitting is one of the worst things we can do. Posture degrades quickly, hip flexors get tight, alignment gets out of whack. Since you work a desk job, I would say to sit as little as possible, or take breaks from sitting.

Yeah, this. Get a standing desk. I started using a standing desk like 3 years ago and immediately felt better, in terms of back/hip/neck pain.

Yo,

The above advice and if you want to learn backhand I think you could do it safely by just taking it really slow. I've seen bigger guys throw from a standstill or a slow walkup just to avoid injury. Have you seen Tucks4s1 on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY0FiK0hWeor-lcxpYzU8vQ He's a big guy and in his videos he just does a slow walkup and it seems to work for him, per his most recent video he's throwing a Distance Driver 350 feet with that form. Just take it slow, going fast usually makes my form and throws terrible anyway

And keep at it - disc golf is good for us. Couple weeks ago I played with a guy that said he was one 15 pills a day, blood pressure med, etc. He is completely off of those after playing short 9 hole on his lunch breaks when he can and some dg on weekend.

I'm going to put up my standup desk now.

Yeah, this. Get a standing desk. I started using a standing desk like 3 years ago and immediately felt better, in terms of back/hip/neck pain.

I just got a standing desk two days ago. It's actually a sit/stand and I'm standing about 3-4 hours of my 8 hour day. It's pretty great so far!

I don't really have form advice, but more of a bit of big guy advice. I have always been a big person. I was 6' tall and 200 pounds in 7th grade. I'm currently 6'3" and about 235lbs. I could drop a few more pounds but I don't think I'll ever get below 200.

The best part for me about disc golf and fitness is it really is a hike with frequent stops and some throwing. Hiking is great, it works a lot of muscles humans naturally developed over thousands of years of walking everywhere. It's good for your cardiovascular health, and it's a nice reason to get outside and off the couch.

I use a backpack bag, not because I need the space, but because I want to carry the weight. I routinely throw 2-3 extra water bottles in there just for a little more resistance on the hike. The best shape I was ever in as an adult was living in turkey, walking everywhere, drinking a ton of water, and carrying wheelbarrows full of dirt up and down a hill all day. Now that's not realistic for most of us, but hiking a hilly course with an extra 2 pounds of water is. I have noticed my cardio health is better after starting to do this, my legs feel just a little stronger, and my balance (BIG thing for disc golf in my opinion) has improved.

Take it from me, I wish I started doing even just a little more for my health 5 years ago at 30, rather than this year. It starts to get a little harder every year to stay fit. My knees ache more than they should from being inactive for my late 20s, and I started to get back pain last year.

Long story short, I've seen some BIG dudes crush 450' drives regularly, but start to taper off around hole 9 from fatigue. Any one of us, no matter body shape or size can learn to do that, I just think it's a little harder for me, being a bit bigger than I probably should be. Hit the form critique section, those guys can start you off right, and get you throwing much better, and keep at it. Disc golf is the most fun form of light to moderate excessive I have found.

Now if only I could get motivated to start cycling again...

I don't inherently foresee any issues just due to weight. I'm about to hit 32 and lost a lot of weight last year (252 down to 185) and almost can't tell a difference with my disc golf throw. I've always been RHBH dominant and never had any DG-related issues. I started several years ago with just a standstill and slowly increased my speed until I had a full run-up. As I lost weight, I had hoped to see an improvement to my form or distance but that hasn't panned out and I still max out at ~320 ft (I'll also be a perpetual amateur).

Regarding technique, when you are following through, make sure you pivot on your heel and not your toe. Pivoting on your toe will not be good for your knee. This is often hard to see in videos as the foot is pivoting on the heel while also rolling to the toes at the same time. Try it out in slow motion in your socks and hopefully you'll see what I'm talking about.

Also, listen to the other folks on here and stretch a lot.

Also, listen to the other folks on here and stretch a lot.

And, Idk if it's something you'd be into, but imo balance boards are a great tool for disc golf. Balance is imperative to keeping your throw smooth and fluid and thus avoiding injury.

I got an Indo board at the end of 2015 and after using it all winter I certainly noticed the difference in my throw the next year.

Check out the Facebook group "Big Daddy Disc Golf". A very active community of big players.

As long as you can throw on plane, there's no reason you can't learn a BH. I'm 5'8" and 220 pounds. I learned the game throwing FH and didn't incorporate a BH until my weight had gotten out of hand. I do pull through higher because of my gut, but I don't feel like my weight is limiting my progress more than just progressing slowly.

Here is your technique advice

Pushups
Situps
Squads

Burn more than you eat. Drink only water.

Really, if you are not even 30 and allready past your physical prime, just imagine how you will feel in 20 years... Do yourself a favor and start losing weight. I was very overweight and I am still kinda overweight, but you will feel better with every Kilo you lose. Believe me.

A whole lot of good advice in the thread. I would say though, listen to your own body. If you have a fear of injury that seems unjustified to some of us, listen to yourself first. 250 lbs can look a lot different on a lot of different people. I was 260 a year ago and that's where I was when I started playing, but even though that was a lot of overweight and not fit, I was heavier but looked fitter than some people I played with. I was doing a lot wrong, but natural balance I think was keeping me from endangering my joints and muscles. I would say though I see people throw that are over 6' and might weigh 140 lbs and if someone overweight moved like they did their ankles and knees wouldn't last three holes. The extra weight definitely has the potential to increase a risk on joints, but the weight alone isn't a problem with decent form.
Backhand should be fine, but utilize the form and critique section and work on flexibility. Smooth and straight over distance, balance and flexibility above all else will keep you healthy.

Maybe I'm being overly cautious. I don't have a history of injury, aside from a twist or a roll there, but you know what they say about an ounce of prevention. The thing is I started thinking about this because I was listening to my body. During my first round this year I felt little things in my elbow, lower back, and inner thigh that I hadn't noticed in previous years. The day after the round I had a pretty good case of DOMS going on. I know that it is possible, even likely, that all of this is due to the prolonged period of inactivity, but it still got me thinking. So I want to be proactive.

I'm definitely, but cautiously, going to work on my backhand. I already stretch and warm up before each round, and do some stretching afterward. Though I don't know what a cool down after a round would entail. Currently, I do a run up for my forehand. I am going to practice throwing my BH "from the stretch." Simplifying it, and taking a lot of the movement out of throw.

I do like the idea of a standing desk. I am going to bounce that idea off the office manager.

I'd keep throwing forehand unless you get pain. As a heavy human you're biggest issue is likely to be your knees, and forehand will put less stress on them.

Advice for high BMI? well..all I can say is, I can throw much farther now after dropping 250lbs. ;)

A lot of the soreness and tweaks can come from improper form as well. I used to throw my shoulder out on occasion playing, but after making a more concerted effort to clean up my form it doesn't happen any more. Aches and soreness of muscles and joints is to be expected when you start using them more. I'm no knesiologist (spelling?) but I do know there are lots of support muscles that most people don't use regularly that can get sore quick when you start working them.

I think you are on the right track thought wise. Start out at a comfortable pace, if something starts to hurt take a minute and try to determine what and why. Best thing to do to prevent injury is throw properly, and use your body. It will adjust and you'll feel good about your game in no time!

No to take it too far off topic, but I've been using a stand up desk exclusively for about 14 years now and will never go back. I used to have a hunchback from long hours programming,straightened that out. Make sure you get/build one tall enough to force you to stand straight.

I highly recommend going Paleo. I was on some medicine awhile back that dried me out so much that any physical activity left me feeling like a 70 year old stunt man so I couldn't be as active as I usually am (which isn't terribly active to begin with). So the weight that I painstakingly lost eating right and exercising often started coming back on and I gave this paleo diet a shot for a month. I lost the weight I had put on and then went flying down the scale, ended up getting under the 200lb mark (a lifetime goal I had set) in no time. All of this without hardly any exercise. Never felt better or had more energy either.

On the backhand advice just stay relaxed and stop strong-arming ever. Learn how to transfer your weight properly and how to brace and you'll be leaving your FH in the dust in no time probably.

Funny thing about BMI is I was considered obese with 6% body fat back in my college days. Now I'm a lot fatter and would consider myself obese at 5'7" 200lb+. I'd recommend watching Schwebby, James Mosier and GG as form models. And start with the One Leg Drill which involves zero-minimal weight shift pressure.

Latest posts