• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Technique Poll - What Are You?

Technique/Strategy Poll - What Are You?

• BH – Only (Includes Putting)

Votes: 61 22.8%
  • FH – Only (Includes Putting)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • OH – Only (Includes Putting)

• BH and FH (BH Putt)

Votes: 78 29.2%
  • BH and FH (FH Putt)

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • BH and OH (BH Putt)

Votes: 20 7.5%
  • FH and OH (FH Putt)

• BH, FH, and OH (BH Putt)

Votes: 97 36.3%
  • BH, FH, and OH (FH Putt)

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Other

Votes: 4 1.5%

• Total voters

mcduffiejc

Bogey Member
Everytime I am out on the course I always see each individual with their own style. So I was wondering which technique/style is the preferred choice for Disc Golf.

My preference is FH and OH with FH Putting....

Hopefully this will be interesting to see the various amount of techniques that people use.

I would have been FH and OH with BH putt, but I've made huge improvements to my BH this year, so I'm going wtih FH, BH, OH with BH putt

I put BH only, but I am able to throw FH or OH if I need to get out of trouble.

I heard some interesting opinions about this in the tournament I played in last weekend. I'm a backhand only player and have no problem turning drives over and can stretch to get out of trouble most of the time.

On one hole, I was the only person who didn't throw side arm and mentioned to the group I feel like I have a disadvantage because I don't have the arsenal of shots they have. One player said he felt like I had an advantage because I can bend the disc any way I need using the same throwing style which is what he claims to see more pro's do.

I guess it's just a matter of opinion.

Yeah, I'm backhand only too. .I find that there are very few situations where forehand would be an advantage over backhand. I have learned to throw the anhyzer shot pretty well, and it works. I've noticed by watching several videos and dvds with some of the great players (Climo, Feldberg, Schultz, etc...) that they seem to prefer BH also. Out of the half dozen videos I've watched, these guys 95% of the time are throwing a BH anhyzer when they have the option of a forehand. Maybe I just haven't seen enough footage that may disprove this theory, but these guys seem to prefer backhand. Anyone else notice this?

Yeah, I'm backhand only too. .I find that there are very few situations where forehand would be an advantage over backhand. I have learned to throw the anhyzer shot pretty well, and it works. I've noticed by watching several videos and dvds with some of the great players (Climo, Feldberg, Schultz, etc...) that they seem to prefer BH also. Out of the half dozen videos I've watched, these guys 95% of the time are throwing a BH anhyzer when they have the option of a forehand. Maybe I just haven't seen enough footage that may disprove this theory, but these guys seem to prefer backhand. Anyone else notice this?

doss and avery throw wicked sidearms...reason why other guys don't is because they don't have a strong enough FH to use it...doss and avery can throw there FH im sure 350+ where as the older guys barry, ken, mainly stick to BH becuase its what they know...I was grouped with a B pooler this week for doubles and he threw strictly FH and gave me some new lines and ideas for some holes I was struggling on as BH....to each there own...but I would much rather have BH, FH, OH just to broaden my line availability

I know exactly what you are saying with this. I pretty much only throw FH, even putt FH, but when I think I have a better chance I will throw OH. Me and BH just don't get along so with my FH I have created a bunch of unique shots for myself that other people don't know how to use themselves. My goal in the future is to eventually be good at all three but for now I will stick to FH since I do pretty well with it.

I started off throwing only FH drives but as of recently have added BH/OH throws to my shot selection. Putting, I usually go with BH.

forehand will be an advantage on dogleg rights (for rhfh), just as a dogleg left will be an advantage to rhbh players. In a straight shot I see no advantage to either. jdggna has said a few times he can hit over 500ft with a FH shot, I personally can hit over 400 with a FH. Unsure what mcduffie can do but I'm guessing he can get some distance off it as well.

I do whatever is necessary to get that piece of plastic into that unforgiving basket and I would recommend that everyone practice everything because if you are throwing solely one way then you are going to get torn up on any decently hard course

forehand will be an advantage on dogleg rights (for rhfh), just as a dogleg left will be an advantage to rhbh players. In a straight shot I see no advantage to either. jdggna has said a few times he can hit over 500ft with a FH shot, I personally can hit over 400 with a FH. Unsure what mcduffie can do but I'm guessing he can get some distance off it as well.

My furthest is about 450 but that is off on a field just practice driving. I recently just got a boss and I am tearing up the courses now though with that so I'm sure my distance will soon get even higher.

I do whatever is necessary to get that piece of plastic into that unforgiving basket and I would recommend that everyone practice everything because if you are throwing solely one way then you are going to get torn up on any decently hard course

I don't think that is true. If you are good at your style then I'm sure you can make any situation work for you - it's all on the actual player.

One player said he felt like I had an advantage because I can bend the disc any way I need using the same throwing style which is what he claims to see more pro's do.

I guess it's just a matter of opinion.

I noticed also that the best players around my parts dont throw forehand or overhand. I throw it all so it is hard for me to figure out why they would leave such weapons out of their arsenal. but i guess if you could be 1000+ with only a BH putter for every shot then that is what you should be doing.

I throw almost exclusively BH. I will throw a short forehand shot only when I have to stretch out as the only option or a short forehand roller.

I am mainly backhand dominate and prefer it. I have a baseball background and can throw overhand and am still working on the forehand. I am comfortable with a sidearm approach but will admit the drive is still weak. I voted BH, FH, and OH (BH Putt).