• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Technique Poll - What Are You?

Technique/Strategy Poll - What Are You?

• BH – Only (Includes Putting)

Votes: 61 22.8%
  • FH – Only (Includes Putting)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • OH – Only (Includes Putting)

• BH and FH (BH Putt)

Votes: 78 29.2%
  • BH and FH (FH Putt)

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • BH and OH (BH Putt)

Votes: 20 7.5%
  • FH and OH (FH Putt)

• BH, FH, and OH (BH Putt)

Votes: 97 36.3%
  • BH, FH, and OH (FH Putt)

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Other

Votes: 4 1.5%

• Total voters
Max Distance - FH
Accuracy - BH
Putting - BH
Get out of Trouble - OH

has anyone ever seen anyone else putt forehand? i've seen turbo putters and other trick putters but not once have i seen someone trying to putt forehand

for me
Max distance = Backhand
Control = backhand/forehand
out of trouble = OH
approach = backhand ussually sometimes forehand if i have to
putting = all backhand, an occasional turbo putt if i'm bored

I'm a bit of an oddity, since I prefer to drive backhanded, but I prefer to throw my approach shots forehanded or overhanded. I feel I'm a lot more accurate with my forehand, but I've got a lot more power in my backhand. I'm working on my forehand drive, and I'll occasionally go with a tomahawk drive when I have to hit a narrow gap between trees close to the tee box.

What I really ought to work on to expand my repertoire is the thumber and the backhanded approach shot. I've been sadly neglecting my backhanded approach, since I'm so much more confident with the forehand.

To make a long story short, I'm always looking to develop new ways to throw the disc. There's too much shule out there to be exclusively backhanded or forehanded. I wonder if the one-throw players are all out West of the Mississippi where they don't have trees?

god i hate this game!! went out today and played two rounds back to back and did terrible on both...im in a SLUMP...1 1/2 weeks and counting...im about to the point where im just gonna sell my discs for alcohol and drink away my dg woes

oh yeah, almost forgot. i changed my technique

bh = sh!tty
fh = sh!tty
Oh = sh!tty
app......well you get the point

I find driving forehand and overhand comes much more naturally to me as I played baseball most of my life and had a side arm fastball as a pitcher. My backhand is weak all around. Certain distances I will putt forehand, especially on "go for" putts I can get a straighter line forehand but if I miss it goes far pass the basket. Basically goes as follows:

Driving: FH or OH
Approach: FH or OH
Putts: BH or FH

I throw mainly BH, but am working on my FH. My OH is not a bad option to get out of trouble. Sometimes I throw an OH since it is the best course of action. I almost always putt BH, but in some cases I switch to FH.

has anyone ever seen anyone else putt forehand? i've seen turbo putters and other trick putters but not once have i seen someone trying to putt forehand

for me
Max distance = Backhand
Control = backhand/forehand
out of trouble = OH
approach = backhand ussually sometimes forehand if i have to
putting = all backhand, an occasional turbo putt if i'm bored

Unless people are stuck in a bind I don't ever see them putt forehand. I mainly putt forehand but am working at my BH putting and plan to move up to practicing driving BH once my putting is down with FH and BH.

Unless people are stuck in a bind I don't ever see them putt forehand. I mainly putt forehand but am working at my BH putting and plan to move up to practicing driving BH once my putting is down with FH and BH.

I'm curious (and despite English's lack of written inflection please know I'm saying this is a curious voice NOT a jerky one). When you're putting forehand is it really putting or is it just a line-drive at the pin? Does the flight path have some up/down to it? Not that it has to be a lob or anything but I imagine your putts are thrown in the same manner as your approaches.

BH- 99% of drives/distance fairway shots, 25% of approaches, 90% of putts
FH- 1% of drives/distance fairway shots, 75% of approaches, 10% of puts(usually to go left of object blocking basket)
OH- Only on out shots(50/50% tomahawk/thumber), but only when necessary

I still have been unable to shoot distance shots FH. I believe my mechanics are bad and usually anny bad and end up rolling hard right after about 100ft, hurt my shoulder, or both. I have just been able to develop a nice S-curve, so the FH drive is becoming a little let necessary(even though a nice FH shot would help a ton, but I can live with not throwing it right now). But I am way more accurate with my FH for shots in the 50-125' range. I think the reasoning for this is its much easier for me to throw FH without taking steps up to my lie, and when I take a step or two before a BH throw in that situation I end up throwing it beyond the basket. But my game is coming along quite nicely...I've been able to take 3-4 strokes off my average the past 2 months(even though my average isn't that great, usually around +8 to +10 par, but sure beats throwing in the high 70s on a par 56.

I answered BH only because that is far and away my "preference" but I'll throw whatever looks like it will give me the best bang for my buck.

I played with a guy yesterday who threw everything forehand until he was inside 15 feet?

I answered BH only because that is far and away my "preference" but I'll throw whatever looks like it will give me the best bang for my buck.

I played with a guy yesterday who threw everything forehand until he was inside 15 feet?

That is exactly what I'm working on now. Once I get in about 20 feet I am starting to work on putting backhand. Hopefully eventually in the future I am a good backhand to add to my arsenal.

Oops mis-voted...I am a BH putter unless I get pissed, then I rip one in forehand from like 10' just to punish the bad bad disc...

I am 85% FH, 10% BH, 5% OH

I use the BH and OH to get out of trouble mostly but I am working on the BH to get distance, form and functionality from it...I was stuck around 150' accurately and now I am up to 200' with wild accuracy, so I need some field and form work.

Strangely, BH hurts my arm more than FH, maybe because I am trying too hard to get distance with it.

It looks like most people that are voting are voting because they can throw it, not throw well or comfortably with it. There should be a poll like:

If you are at a hole that is straight for 300 feet, what would you feel comfortable throwing? BH, FH, OH or a mix of each?

I just think too many people are saying "yea I can throw forehand if I'm in trouble, or I absolutely have to, so bh and fh"

I would be all 3 btw.

Strangely, BH hurts my arm more than FH, maybe because I am trying too hard to get distance with it.

Very interesting, I assume this is the reason my shoulder hurts when I'm attempting to throw a FH for distance. I really need to take the flick I have on my approach shots and transition it into the step up approach. Any ideas on how to do that?

The more shots you can throw, the more likely you are to be able to throw what you need in any situation.

This.

My forehand is a shot of last resort, BH for almost all drives, approaches and putts. My thumber is workable for over-the-top shots or places where an anny just won't really do.