• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tee types

Geoffro

Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
What are your favorite types of tee to launch from? I tend to prefer gravel tees as they offer give under my plant foot as I rotate through after releasing. I find that with rubber or concrete, it's harder to rotate on the ball of my foot, putting more stress on my knee and ankle.

Any thoughts?

I love concrete it makes the course seem so much nicer then just "natural" which is key word for we decided to just put some baskets and signs out here by some trees lol

Concrete. Hands down.

If they're installed correctly with a roughed surface and very slightly sloped, then they play well in most all weather conditions.

The rubber mats get torn up over time. Natural grass gets rutted. Gravel or wood chips get dispersed.

The only significant downsides to concrete are mowing around it and players that show up at the course in cleats expecting a natural tee surface.

ERic

i don't have a personal preference on what surface i throw from. only one of my 3(or 4) shots towards the basket will be from the tee. i will say that cement looks the nicest and most professional. gravel, wood chips, or grass are all fine they just require more effort to maintain.

Cement gives the best surface to throw from as long as they are correctly installed and are long enough.

There was a course I played on one of my trips (I can't remember which one) where there was a layer of concrete with a rubber mat on top. On top of the rubber mat was a layer of Astro-turf. I remember thinking that it was a lot of trouble to go through all of that for tee pads, but they felt better than any others I have ever played on.

I like concrete alright, but I find that it rips the soles of my shoes. The only solution ive found is to wear skateing shoes, but those get no traction on hillsides or slick surfaces, so Im better off on the drive, but my midrange an upshots are harder.

Plus, I find that concrete tees are usually too small, and often unlevel with the ground around them, (sticking up 6 inches) which makes for a tricky run-up.

Thus, I prefer natural, sandbox style tees, with wood on all sides keeping them level.

I've played on concrete, "natural", asphalt, crushed recycled shingles, sand, bark chips, gravel, and rubber. Concrete definitely looks the best, but I prefer natural hard-packed dirt by a small margin...mainly becuase it allows easier rotation and doesn't change much when wet (ONLY if the ground is packed well). Second favorite is probably concrete.

My least favorite is sand or bark, with asphalt coming in right behind those. Sand, gravel, and bark move too much beneath my feet, and asphalt (which my home course uses) gets VERY slick after a slight rain.

Anyone thrown from one of those new Vibram teepads? I think Maple Hill is the only course that has them right now...

Concrete all the way for me but an option is the cobblestone blocks from Home Depot or Lowes. They're cheaper and easier to install especially on those holes way the heck up a hill or somewhere.

The Valkyrie Kid

I prefer concerete as well but like fly pads for wet season. Living in the northwest, dirt doesn't work at all so having something durable that does not hold a small pool of water is key. Oregon tends to use a lot of rubber pads.

Natural tee pads are fine unless it rains, or has rained recently. The way they get worn in on the courses I usually play at, "natural" turns to puddles and mud in a real hurry, and stays that way for days. As long as it's well installed, I prefer concrete. Gravel isn't bad, but again, if it isn't groomed regularly, it's worse than a bare marker on the ground.

I LIKE THE LOOK AND FEEL OF CONCRETE, BUT I FIND THAT RUBBER HAS BETTER GRIP WHEN THERE IS DEW ON THE GROUND IN THOSE EARLY MORNING ROUNDS.

I LIKE THE LOOK AND FEEL OF CONCRETE, BUT I FIND THAT RUBBER HAS BETTER GRIP WHEN THERE IS DEW ON THE GROUND IN THOSE EARLY MORNING ROUNDS.

Bingo. I've only played on one course with rubber tees and I love them. I couldn't believe how nice they were even when they were soaked with dew. Check out the tees at Shawnee State Park in PA. They have the hole length, par and direction of the pin on them. Don't know how long they'll last, but they're pretty cool right now.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/gallery.php?id=2788&mode=gal#

And really, any time that I'm on a course I'm happy. Doesn't really matter what tee type. I do agree small concrete tees can be annoying, if not dangerous.

I really like concrete tees, but natural are fine as long as they are unobstructed. Some tees I've played on have roots growing up out of the ground right in the center of the tee and it is the worst.

Concrete is the most consistent, level tee available. The ones I like the least are gravel/mulch/anything else that moves around and doesn't stay in place very long. Usually provides for a slippery, uneven trip hazard.

natural, sandbox style tees, with wood on all sides keeping them level.

I like these a lot!

Only problem I have with natural tees is weather. Constant or heavy rains make a tee box a mud hole and that just stinks. Heh, I almost fell in the pond, and twsted my ankle, at Bryan Park in Richmond, VA on the 18th! Concrete is prefered but I suppose you could have a very nice natural tee if it is boxed in one way or another, never shot from rubber pads, wouldn't it be slippery in the rain?

never shot from rubber pads, wouldn't it be slippery in the rain?

I played from rubber tees twice (trap pond, and shumaker pond) both times they were very sticky, and shumaker I played at like 6 in the morn begining of last month, and didn't slip or slide at all, they actually are better than concrete when it comes to grip, but I like the levelness of the concrete pads better.

I prefer rubber pads, because thet have a great feel in all types of weather and they are easy move for alt. tees, but my home course gets a lot of pine needles late in the seaon and it gets annoying to clean off because they get kinda slick, especially after a rain, and especially after a little snow.

Latest posts