• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Teebird problem

AndrewM33

Par Member
I had a wonderful older 12X teebird that I lost a few months ago. Cloudy plastic, grippy, decent glide. Well I left it on a hole and when I went back it was gone. Bastards.

So I order a champ teebird on discgolfcenter. It has very clear, hard plastic. Problem is it feels like a brick and flies like my banshee. Recently I've tried throwing it into trees hard, rubbing it in dirt and bending the frame back and forth to try and beat it in and improve it's feel in my hand. It hasn't worked and still feels and flies the same no matter what I do.

My question is: will it ever beat in to feel and fly like my old one? Or do I just need to put it away and get a star teebird or something similar? Start cycling DX teebirds? Help me.

Will it ever beat in? Yeah might take a couple years of heavy play. Try a Star or GStar.

Go with Star. Try to hold a few of them before purchasing. Recent runs have had varying amounts of dome, so you may need to look through a few to find one that feels similar to your old champ.

hahaha. these are the new "good" teebirds. give it a few years. i'm along for the ride as well, except i've decide to throw stars as long as i can snap'em up and they're good and flat.

My experience is that the older 12x teebirds were less over stable than the new jl teebirds

I just keep buying beat up 11x's with wiped stamps. Best disc I'm throwing right now, and they don't cost too much.

In 10 years folks will say JL seasons to feel and fly like 11x. I'm a fan, especially for overstable molds.

G* TBs are easy to turn over 300', which might be okay for you or maybe they make JL TLs that fly a stable line like the TB you spaced. Try a Rival and a F5 too.

I've rubbed the flashing off and it weighs 167 just like my old one. I threw my old Teebird at 310 max. I'm lucky to get this one to 275 max. I don't want to wait three years. My other teebird was still decent in winds.

I bought a new Champion at the beginning of the year and it was just a meat hook, I traded it off, I already had a Star Banshee I liked better, no need for a T-bird doing the same.

You could try a champion TL.

I bought a used champ Teebird for $4.99 at PIAS a few weeks ago best used disc I've bought! Also got 2 Champion TL's for the same price!

Been looking all year for a Star Teebird, haven't come across one. (Not going to online order) Now I know why they're not around, Korachrome has them all! Curses!

Last edited:
My question is: will it ever beat in to feel and fly like my old one? Or do I just need to put it away and get a star teebird or something similar? Start cycling DX teebirds? Help me

no fair! You got one of the good ones the rest of us are trying to find!

Seriously though, discs, and innova in particular, can be very inconsistent. Sounds like your current one is probably flatter with a higher PLH then your old one. If you have access to a brick and mortar disc shop go in and compare all the teebirds you can find to your current one. You want one with more dome and the wing sitting lower, that should fly closer to your old one. If you don't have access to a store and do your shopping online a gstar SHOULD be closer to what you're looking for, but there are always freaks.

I'll also second the suggestion to try a TL. They have a lot less fade then teebirds, with just as much glide and aren't super understable. Highly underrated disc.

it will break in, it will just take some time. its taken me about 6 months to get my beefy champ teebird to just go straight at 350

I've been throwing my JL Teebird all season and I have to put some hyzer on it now just to get it to fly straight. Thrown flat or with some torque and it's not hard to get it to turn. Just keep throwing it, it will get to where you want it to be.

Latest posts