• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Teebird3 vs Thunderbird

The only T3 I threw was a Gstar. It flew great, exactly as advertised, but not longer than a Teebird. Kind of got there quicker and lower.

This. My only experience with T3 is Gstar, but I wasn't very impressed. Didn't have the same great hss as a good champ Teebird and it was just sort of clunky. My birds get less use now after I got turned onto the Verdict...when it isn't enough I just move up to a driver like OLF or Viking or Saint Pro or whatever. Between the two, I'd just pass on the T3 and use the Thunderbird. I can't think of a situation where the T3 really excels over anything else...not a horrible disc or anything, just doesn't really add much to what was already available, imo.

Please do yourself a favor and do not worry about disc overlap. Play a couple runds with both in your bag. Throw the same shot with both the t3 and Thunder. Throw annys with both. Throw hyzers. If one does something you like and the other does another shot well, keep them both. If you find you don't reach for the t3 after a few rounds, take it out.

^^^ Really this. Get to know your discs...try everything with every disc you have and you'll be a better player. Molds don't always matter that much in the end if you can work with what you have available (to a point).

The T3 is just an OS Teebird. I didn't have a problem with it when I bagged it, but my g* and champ Thinderbird work so perfectly together that they're the only fairway or control drivers are carry(besides the FB.) However I believe they can coexist in a bag depending on what you choose to use each disc for

Reviving this thread...I bag the T3 and thunderbird and have a few thoughts for the next person that reads this thread trying to compare these two molds.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned the tighter lines the teebird/T3 fly. That has been my experience too. My MF T3 (7/10) has less lateral movement than my thunderbirds so it is better for tight straight lines. My Thundy's finish a bit harder and have more movement or a wider S than my T3's.

One of the biggest reasons I bag both is wind. When the wind is up the Thunderbird will go further and fight the wind much better than the T3. With a head wind my Thunderbirds throw more of that Teebird flight path where the T3 would go more right and not come back as much.

Distance is another reason I bag both. I throw the T3 on shots 300-340' with a flat finish. If I power down a Thundy it will finish strong in that 300-340' range. So if I need a little more finish or skip I move up to the Thunderbird and power it down a little. If I want a more flat finish I'm powering up the T3. If I need anything above 340 up to around 375 I'm going Thunderbird. Above 375 I'm throwing some combo of CD3/PDx/Shryke/Destroyer. I max out about 400-415'.

I bag 3 T3's (2 MF, 1 new 1 seasoned, and a DX for turnovers/stand stills/rollers)

I bag 4 Thunderbirds...
175 Champ Color Glow (Fresh, OS)
168 Champ (Stable)
168 Pro (Neutral Bomber, flies like a perfect Valkyrie)
175 DX (Under stable, Flip ups, Turn overs, flip to flat with turn/turn over depending on the degree of hyzer I start it on)

In conclusion, I think they complement each other incredibly well and have no problem bagging both.

The PD and Thunderbird on the other hand have a LOT mor overlap in my opinion. I ended up pulling the PD because I feel like the Thunderbirds fjust felt better in my hand and power down better than the PD. I love PD's tho, so I chose to bag 2 PDx's. When I need more finish than Thunderbird and more distance than a Firebird I throw the PDx.

Loving this setup so far but I'm always tinkering ��

Hope this helps someone!

^^Geeze, that's a well stated summary. Excellent necro-bump, bruh^^

Points off for dropping PDs from your bag though. We've been having a lively discussion over on the peedee thread.

I don't have a ton of experience with Teebird 3s. What I've seen is that they fly the same lines as Thunderbirds, but 20-30' shorter. Neither disc will have high speed turn, and both will have a similar (fairly hard) fade. Teebird 3s also don't glide as well as Thunderbirds.

A Teebird 3 is a good disc to use if the wind is blowing and you want to knock some of the glide off a regular Teebird shot.

I throw Teebird 3s about 350'. Thunderbirds 375'. You could bag both discs and find uses for them. I don't think they really overlap once you start getting over 350'. For short throwers you won't see much difference at all. Either option is a good one. Very reliable fliers.

^^Geeze, that's a well stated summary. Excellent necro-bump, bruh^^

Points off for dropping PDs from your bag though. We've been having a lively discussion over on the peedee thread.

Haven't been on here in a while, I'll bite.

In the 300-340 range I often release with more hyzer, less hyzer, higher line more nose down, lower line, change to flat, slight anny, etc and use the same mold. Sure a Drone can 300' woods flex while a Comet cannot, but the difference between a Drone and a Wasp on the same hole is negligible to PmB (for example purposes) - more or less release angle equals result.

Not everyone needs even 8 molds...dare I say control distance drivers are superfluous for 90% of disc golfers?

In the 300-340 range I often release with more hyzer, less hyzer, higher line more nose down, lower line, change to flat, slight anny, etc and use the same mold. Sure a Drone can 300' woods flex while a Comet cannot, but the difference between a Drone and a Wasp on the same hole is negligible to PmB (for example purposes) - more or less release angle equals result.

Not everyone needs even 8 molds...dare I say control distance drivers are superfluous for 90% of disc golfers?

ill take your example to the next level

most dgers wouldnt see their score change that much if they only could use 8 discs

But someone like PmB is really good at hitting his release angle. . and can make a disc do most angles.
Most amateurs are NOT good at hitting the exact release angle. . i´m not

So i "need" more discs to get the right type of flight. . i basically trow all my discs flat and let the stability of the disc shape the flight.
Every time i try to throw at an angle i over do it. .a slight anhyzer becomes a BIG anhyzer and the disc ends up far from my intended spot

I found out that the Teebird3 is exactly the 7-speed slow, controllable fairway driver that i have always wanted. Yes, i know, it is technically a speed 8, mut for me it is close to that Explorer/Saint Pro-slot. I used to throw an Explorer, but they had surprising amount of fade. They also had almost too much glide.

The Teebird3 for me is a straight shot, anything from 340 up to 400ft. If i really hit it hard, i can get them further, but i have PD's for that. I bag a MF for some fade and a Star for just straight shots. But indeed, it is very angle sensitive. Too much anny, it will not come out, too much hyzer, it will not flip up.

Basically the easiest thing to describe a Teebird3 is that perfectly straight Roc-shot that has a hint of fade at the end, but 30-50ft longer.

I currently bag a DX Thunderbird, Gstar Teebird 3, DX Teebird and a Gstar Starfire.

The thunderbird was my #1 distance is pretty beat up and needs retired I recently realized a flaw in my form that made the thunderbird act more understable so I bought a DX Valkyrie to replace it. I use the T3 occasionally but it just hasn't clicked with me yet. The Teebird is a 146g and is intended for tailwind shots. The Starfire is to anny around something or if I need that extra fade at the end and has been reliable in that usage.

Captain Stagnant here should have some good input but unfortunately its been a few weeks since I've been out :(

I amy be an outlier but the thundy just never resonated with me, mostly because I bag a tb3 and a wraith so the overlap is too much. I do love the lack of glide in my tb3 though, as when I'm throwing downhill on a specific 600' hole it's very direct and less effected by wind than a thundy but just OS enough to keep from flipping in the uphill wind gusts.

I just found the thundy to be more one dimensional given the extra power it asks for. The tb3 I can throw a lot of different shots with but I really like how direct it is with that little bit of glide.

Last edited:

I don't throw the T3 or Thbird, just thought it was a nice summary of his use of them. I'm a FD/PD thrower. Wrecked my non throwing shoulder so those are as high speed as I'll be bagging when I'm able to play again in a few months. Gonna be a long winter....

Latest posts