• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Tell me about your Stag...

It is going to push out my teebirds. GASP..
I only use new champ tbirds for flick shots. The Stag holds a straighter line, less turn, not too much fade, and Swedish plastic.

What are the differences between the VIP or Tourney plastic and also how much does the weight affect the disc flight?

i've been having A LOT of trouble with my 171 TP stag. it seems to always want to turn right. im going to go out and work with it again today, hopefully i figure it out.

Everyone that's been throwing around 170g TP's have had all sorts of issues with turn, but everyone...including me...has nothing but positive things to say about the heavy vip.

My 173g VIP Stag is not vastly different from my 169g Opto Saint. Both have little to no turn and about a 2 for fade. I feel like the Saint may be a touch faster and the Stag has a touch more glide, so in the end they fly virtually identical for me.

So I am going to bag the VIP Stag and a Gold Line Saint to see how they pair. I never intended to get rid of my Opto Saint, but it is a dark red color and although it is beautiful, it is much harder to find than my bright yellow Stag so the Stag gets the nod.

The Stag is definitely not the disc I was hoping for, however I think I have come to the realization that an 8,6,0,3 disc is not possible with the laws of physics. Having that much glide changes something with the HSS and LSS and doesn't allow them to be as pronounced as a less glide-y disc

Finally got out to throw my 172 TP Stag. It definitely likes smooth clean form to fly the way that it should. Every time I tried to put too much on it it wouldn't fly too well, but when I would concentrate on throwing it smoothly it was awesome. I'm not quite sure how great it would be into a headwind though...

I threw my 169 Tourney Stag and 170 VIP today on an open course with gusting winds to about 25 or 30 MPH. I liked them both, but they are different. The Tourney has great glide, but in a decent headwind of probably 20-30 it turned and just kept gliding off path. The VIP was definitely more OS as it never turned and held the line. The headwind took out some of its fade, but it kept moving forward pretty well. I could see either carrying a light Tourney and heavy VIP, or just carry a heavy VIP with a GL Saint, River or other less stable driver. They are both nice, but I would say the Tourney is more TL-like and the VIP is more Teebird like. If that's the comparison most people want to hear. If you like nice OS Teebirds, get a heavy VIP.

You guys saying the stag acts like a teebird are crazy. I have a 173 vip and with anything more than 300' of power and its starts to turning. It still has a nice fade but no champ teebird turns that much brand new. I would liken it most to a nice champ Eagle-L

Results may vary. Maybe some people throw smoother and some throw with more power.

You guys saying the stag acts like a teebird are crazy. I have a 173 vip and with anything more than 300' of power and its starts to turning. It still has a nice fade but no champ teebird turns that much brand new. I would liken it most to a nice champ Eagle-L

If you read through the reviews/thoughts here there is different opinions. Me myself have gone back and forth of how the Stag acts when throwing...

all I can say is that I would not call it a driver... I guess its what americans call a "tweener" or something :)

I use the Stag for FAIRWAY DRIVES where i feel i have "contact" with the basket or aim im going for... where i feel my midranges need maximum power, but i rather throw the stag for extra control and less effort when throwing.... Not like when you drive and just hope you get as close as possible for the place you were aiming for.

With the stag you need to have a plan before you throw, where you wanna put it, what you're aiming for, and not just drive for the sake of "closing the gap to the basket". If you understand this, the disc will reward you big time!!...

it is tempting to crank the Stag as a speed 11-14 driver becuase of its glide... but if you do, and just in it to "close the gap" you will probably get punished.

I've had my 2 VIP Stags in the bag for 2 weeks now... and im gonna keep them there. they will fill the slot nicely between my Tridents and xXx perfectly where i need a bit more "touch" to it...

I feel when used this way... or the slot i've given it... the stats it have of 8/6/0/3 are true... maybe not exactly.. I would give it something like 6,8/5,5/0,5/2,5... hehehe.. take that with a grain of salt.. thats just my personal opinion. But for me it fills a purpose in my bag when I need to have controlled approaches where the distance to the basket is 240-270ft and my midrange just needs that maximum power and loss of accuracy.

Super Pissed!!!! I'm hoping that I got dud, 173g VIP, because my stag is neutral. It turns quickly off the drive and then just barely comes back. More like a valkarie flight instead of an eagle. My Escape and heavy saint are much more stable. I was hoping that the Stag would replace my Eagles, but only if I threw an EL i guess.

at a tourney today, threw my stag on a 439 ft downhill open big hyzer rhbh. Usually my saint does just fine on a hyzer on this hole down to 375-400. today threw the stag on a mild hyzer and watched it flip like crazy. the 15-20 mph wind Destroyed it. Thing flew like my 168g Underworld. took a sweet 5 on that hole. This was all immediately after getting MY FIRST ACE EVER! like a boss.

My I have a super gummy vip 175g factory second stag and when thrown smooth at 75% on a slight hyzer, the disc goes straight and glides for ever. I have a stiff vip 175g stag and it is a little more stable ( I throw it at about 90%).