• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Tell me about your Stag...

so after thinking about what I've read now
the VIP Stag is not considered overstable , but it is more stable than my OPTO Saint
is that about correct ?

That's getting technical Matt
Rather than talking in terms of over stability I'll talk in terms of high speed stability (HSS...resistance to turn) and low speed stability (LSS...amount of fade at end of flight)

A "lighter" tournament Stag (sub 171) will have similar HSS as a Saint but more LSS
When you get into "heavier" VIP Stags (172+) you will start to see much greater HSS and LSS

The flight ratings aren't quite what is printed
In lower weights I'd say -1, 2 is more accurate
In heavier weights I'd say -.5, 3 is more accurate

The Stag is a great disc depending on what you are looking for
It will provide great line shaping ability and some wind resistance...more so than a Saint

A Saint IMO provides better straight line distance

Neither will stand up to massive winds (might want to look at a Boatman) but can perform decently well if released with some hyzer angle

I'm not sure if I've given you the info you were looking for

ManU is spot on. The only thing I'll add is that in my experience, for heavier VIPs, the Stag's HSS increases much more than the LSS in comparison to lighter Tournaments. Also, the fade kicks in noticeably later for lighter Tournies. The two make a nice pair together, but it's an as-heavy-as-possible VIP you want for a wind fighter. It won't conquer 20+ mph winds - that's what I use my Banshee for - but it'll maintain it's usefulness in winds slower than that.

got a few throws on it tonight
including a long anny into a pretty stiff headwind
i like it so far

I'm not sure if I've given you the info you were looking for

A great assessment! Saints and Stags both in my bag, 147 Air Saint, 156 Air Stag, 168 GL Saint, 165 VIP Stag. With the choices of weight and plastic they cover a ton of lines. Next to try for me is a heavier Vip Stag, afraid it will retire my wind Teebird.

And on a side note Man U, how do you see the Red Devils doing under Moyes?

Out of curiosity, where'd you snag that Air Stag? I've been wanting to try one but they don't seem to be readily available.

Out of curiosity, where'd you snag that Air Stag? I've been wanting to try one but they don't seem to be readily available.

When the Stag first released MSt had three or four, haven't seen any since. :(

It flies great, perhaps my longest disc when I get a good throw. Where my Air Saint thrown hard and flat rhbh results in a smoooth turn to the right the Air Stag is about -.5 / 2.5. Flat field honest 285 power (who would lie about that, lol). Its gone 340+ for me down hill.

And on a side note Man U, how do you see the Red Devils doing under Moyes?

Hmmm, check my thoughts in the Wate Cooler in the EPL thread in the Other Sports section

Overall I'm not worried about Moyes

I'm not too pleased with the transfer dealings so far...we look silly in some of the bids we've made and the Rooney issue needs to be dealt with

I got to get out and use my 174 VIP today for the first time and it was awesome. After reading some reviews on here, I focused on technique and height and it ripped. Unbelievable glide when thrown right. Stayed very tight and had just enough fade at the end. Love the feel of the plastic in my hand. I can see this replacing a few discs.

So how would these compare to a Star Eagle at similar weights? I throw Underworlds as my primary driver and would like something to compliment it that fades more, I'm not really concerned if it has a little turn or straight at speed.

I've thrown Ascents and Eagles in that slot, really like Ascents except they break in too quickly and are too pricey to replace as often as I would like. I'm happy with Eagles, but like westside plastic better, let me know if a Stag is worth trying.

I would say it's a fantastic compliment. I had tried DX and 150 class Champ Eagle Xs for that slot, but found they took a much stronger throw than the Underworlds, making it awkward for me to switch regularly between the two. The Stags like that smooth relaxed release that the Underworlds do, so from a throwing standpoint, they're a perfect compliment. Throw very similarly, and feel a lot alike in the hand. Westside did well pairing their first two fairways.

I haven't thrown Star Eagle Xs, but my 165ish Tourney Stags turn about as much as a 155 Champ Eagle when new (maybe slightly less), and turn more than fresh DX Eagles at the same weight. I imagine they turn a bit more than Star Eagles. I find Tourney Stags to be most like the Eagle: bit of turn, solid fade. The Stags have more glide and a bit less wind fighting ability than Eagles.

The VIPs are a bit beefier. My light Tourney and heavy VIP Stags pair great together, and compliment the Underworlds well. The VIP plastic barely wears. I have a Tourney that has taken a beating: it'll hold an anhyzer to the ground now, and may be just starting to lose a bit of LSS. HSS goes first, though (again, like Eagles). It's taken ~4-5 months of heavy use to get to this point. Still very useful for that slot; becoming a great line shaper as it wears in.

Perhaps tangentially, I feel like Stags get a bad rep because most wanted them to have zero turn. The VIPs are pretty close to that, but not quite, and the Tourneys are definitely not that. Taken for what they are, though, they're a solid workhorse OS fairway driver. I'd recommend them to anyone who likes Euro plastic.

Last edited:
I was introduced to the tp stag via Mr.Glass and its my roller disc to extreme Anny disc. Got another exact color and weight higher plh which is a tad more stable for nice hyzer flips with subtle turn. Love these discs and I'm finding out that I don't need to pull out my tern on alot of holes because the stag can carve so many lines and do it fast. Thanks G!

So, I've played a couple rounds with a 172 TP Stag.

Round one was a crazy windy day, and thrown into the wind, the Stag turned over every time. With a tailwind it flew very far and straight.

Round two today was pretty calm. This disc flies far, as far as any disc I own that isn't the Unlace. It also flies straight, or turns slightly, and has minimal fade. I'd almost swear it was less stable than my TP Underworld of about the same weight.

I like the results a lot, great fun disc to throw, it just isn't what the numbers led me to believe, other than the 6 glide and the 8 speed. I'm seeing high speed turn and less fade than the 3 would indicate.

Perhaps a VIP Stag would fly closer to those numbers?

So, I've played a couple rounds with a 172 TP Stag.

Round one was a crazy windy day, and thrown into the wind, the Stag turned over every time. With a tailwind it flew very far and straight.

Round two today was pretty calm. This disc flies far, as far as any disc I own that isn't the Unlace. It also flies straight, or turns slightly, and has minimal fade. I'd almost swear it was less stable than my TP Underworld of about the same weight.

I like the results a lot, great fun disc to throw, it just isn't what the numbers led me to believe, other than the 6 glide and the 8 speed. I'm seeing high speed turn and less fade than the 3 would indicate.

Perhaps a VIP Stag would fly closer to those numbers?

I hear ya about the flight numbers. I feel like this disc's biggest flaw isn't how it flies, but how it's labeled: a lot of people wanted more HSS and LSS (rightfully so, given the expectations those numbers created), and were too disappointed to appreciate that what the disc does well, it does really well.

VIPs definitely fly closer to the numbers, though they're still not true to them. All of the VIPs I've thrown have more HSS than the Tourneys; the fade seems to vary, though, with no particular cause that I can identify. I've had a few 173ish VIPs that had a lot of fade when new, and have a 175 that is more like a -.5 HSS, 1.5-2 LSS. Really surprised me; kind of an oddball, that one, but good for what it does.

As I said earlier in the thread, the Air Stag I threw was the most OS of them all; a downright meathook, which surprised me. That seemed to be the general consensus among those who have thrown them.

It's a great disc with lots of glide. It throws a tight line with pretty good fade. When I forehand it though it does go a bit under stable and then comes back. It always seems to find its way up to the basket.

Latest posts