• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tell the truth...

Here's my view on disc minimalism:

When you're a new player trying to learn proper form, shot control, disc selection, etc...its best to stick with only a few molds (I'd say putter, midrange, and stable fairway driver). Taking this minimalist approach is also good for honing your game no matter what skill level you are. For beginners, I'll even go so far as to say that having more than just a few molds will hurt more than it will help...because if you have a different disc for every shot, there's nothing pushing you to learn how to properly shape a shot!

However, when you get up to the Adv and Pro level, having more discs in the bag (even specialty/niche discs used for 1 particular type of shot) isn't necesarilly hurtful and can even give you an advantage...as long as you know how to throw them all properly!

Always, always, always....focus on proper form/technique first, then start branching out into new discs.
Awesome post. If you carry a different disc for each shot the number of shots you can perform will be limited to the number of discs you carry. If you learn to throw many different shots with a few discs you won't be limited like that.

I carry ~20 discs but only 6 or 7 different molds.

I carry 18 discs normally. Only use about 4-5 of them usually. My best round ever was when I was carrying only 2 discs. I still carry the whole bag though just for variety and fun.

All my Putters are 175. I see no reason for a lighter putter except for distance and glide. Which I use my QMS for.
I'll bet you'd be pleasantly surprised at what a 170g putter can do for you on longer (40'+) putts and approaches in the 100-150' range. I too have always used 175g putters, but at the advice of a very good putting teacher I tried a 170g and could immediately see a difference on longer putts.

Where a 175 tends to go nose-down a little over half way to the basket on longer putts, the same putter just 5 grams lighter will stay flat for considerably longer. The same things holds true when it comes to approaches...a 170 will glide considerably further than a 175, and has a stronger tendency to land flat and just stop, as opposed to landing on a hyzer angle and spinning in a little circle.

I'll bet you'd be pleasantly surprised at what a 170g putter can do for you on longer (40'+) putts and approaches in the 100-150' range. I too have always used 175g putters, but at the advice of a very good putting teacher I tried a 170g and could immediately see a difference on longer putts.

Where a 175 tends to go nose-down a little over half way to the basket on longer putts, the same putter just 5 grams lighter will stay flat for considerably longer. The same things holds true when it comes to approaches...a 170 will glide considerably further than a 175, and has a stronger tendency to land flat and just stop, as opposed to landing on a hyzer angle and spinning in a little circle.

Great point..I have a 169g Rhyno that does exactly that, of course...in an ugly and ungainly way (being a rhyno)

I tend to have 2 aviars, 2 buzzzes, 1 Champ cobra (always) and then anywhere from 6-10 drivers for various shots...hyzer, anhyzer, sidearm, distance, fairway, etc. Plus if it is a new course I usually bring a dx driver so I can use it on risky shots.

It's strange, maybe, but I seem to do best with two drivers, a couple of mids including the always reliable cobra/Buzz combo and 3-4 putter approach discs...so I think it's really 6-8 discs...but I've noticed that adding drivers makes less difference to my score than adding putters so there are many different ways to approach the basket...

does this make sense to anybody else?

Z

I carry 17 disc at the moment. Some are duplicates beat to different stages and some I am testing out. On average I use 5-6 of them 98% of the time. The others don't even come out of the bag.

I score almost equally with just a putter, and sometimes thats more fun (especially after having a frustrating round), but most of the time, its nice to be able to really dial your shots and have a run at nailing the basket from the tee. My home course only has a couple of holes that I can honestly say I can listen for chains on with just a putter. Oh btw, I normally carry @ 14 discs. (9 molds)

It's strange, maybe, but I seem to do best with two drivers, a couple of mids including the always reliable cobra/Buzz combo and 3-4 putter approach discs...so I think it's really 6-8 discs...but I've noticed that adding drivers makes less difference to my score than adding putters so there are many different ways to approach the basket...

does this make sense to anybody else?

Z

Yeah, to me this does make sense. In my bag I carry 3 putters, two are exact weight blowflies<171>, one is a year or so newer so it's more "stable," well for a blowfly anyway, and that is my shorter ranger approach, where the older one is my true putter. Then I also carry a omega ss. This is for when conditions are windy <Blowflies do not mix well with wind>, OR, when I need just a tad bit more hyzer on an approach since it will turn more without forcing it like I do my blowfly. I also carry a soft ryno, and that is for certain shots when I need just a more stable approach than what my omega gives me. And here the last few weeks I've been throwing my pig backhand more, which is much more stable. A lot of times when I'm looking at my approach, I look at the angle and the distance, and then decide which disc would work best. Playing woods courses like I do, you HAVE to have control, and knowing your discs, how they fly,what they do,how fast they turn, etc.... can save you a lot of strokes. The guys I play against both on my league Saturday mornings, and in the state points series, there is not a lot of room for error. The majority of the time there is just one stroke seperating us so having that one extra disc for just that shot can mean the difference between first and second place!

I like carrying a large bag just for the sheer use of building strength. In a tourney I'll go down to like 8 discs and feel fresh all day. Really, all you need are a stable driver, understable driver, midrange (dx roc) and a putter.:cool:

I like carrying a large bag just for the sheer use of building strength. In a tourney I'll go down to like 8 discs and feel fresh all day. Really, all you need are a stable driver, understable driver, midrange (dx roc) and a putter.:cool:

Yeah, but then what do you do when you need a double S skipping anhyzer finish with a slight roll out?

Less is better

I travel for work and I want to play whenever possible. I've been trying to force myself to get by with 2-3 discs. Putter and Driver (one understable and one overstable + a dragon if I know I'm playing over water) I don't have room in my luggage for more. I only use a few different discs with different weights. Deciding which weights to bring on a trip can be a challenge.

I agree that it is not necessary to carry a large number of disc with you, but if you have the bag and have the stamina, the variety is nice to have.

I discovered another great reason to carry a lot of discs when I was out playing in the freezing drizzle yesterday...more dry discs to choose from!

Having variety is great...

I think 90% of courses can be played with:
1 stable driver
1 understable driver
1 fairway driver
1 mid range
1 putter

Granted, I think it helps to have about 4 drivers to choose from, and 2 or 3 midranges..

This is a real interesting post for a noob like me. It really helps hearing exactly what it takes to play the game. I also watch the video of nate doss , that video has really shed a light on disc selection for me also.

I carry as over 20 discs mainly because I could stand to lose a few pounds and the extra weight helps on those hills. I also have friends that only use 1-3 discs and i am expected to let them borrow in case they lose thier discs. I also keep my golden retriever, two water bottles, a bag of sunflower seeds, absorbin Jr, and my grip bag. Oh and i usually carry my weed wacker on our new woods only course to help with the maintence.

and a kitchen sink.

I like your post. I know that I will do about the same if I would only use a couple just for the fact that I know exactly what my favorite discs are going to do, but the discs i may use only a couple times a round make a big difference for those borderline shots. I like to have about 12 discs in my bag. Some of them I may use on every hole, others i will use once or not at all during a round. I find it easier to have a lot of discs for practicing and experimenting shots. I have a gator, orc, and buzzz for my "just in case shots". When i use these discs for certain shots, they always come through. They especially come in handy when the conditions are right. Some of my discs i never use when it is colder because my confidence goes down. Sometimes I do ask myself if I "need" a particular disc in my bag, but I have a disc that will fit for every single condition, or obsticle.

My disc count for the day depends on:
Wind
Climate
Course
and MOOD...may sound absurd, but it is true.

Last edited:

Latest posts