• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tell us about a bad experience

I played the Maple Hill Whites for Wounded Warrior Project tourney yesterday. Although I had a ton of fun, I had the worst round in at least a year, probably more. Shot a 71 on the first round. Thats +15 I think. My drives weren't bad for the most part, but there were a handful of holes in the woods where I couldn't get away from the trees. I'd make a good upshot and miss a routine putt. My putts were either wide right or I was missing a couple inches low and hitting the cage. I also made the stupid mistakes a couple times of going for the risky upshot and getting fancy, falling short or hitting the low lying branch and falling OB. Now for the excuses - it was raining for a portion of the round which left everything wet and sloppy. I also have never played the Whites in its entirety. That aside, my performance was my fault. Rushing putts, not practicing putts enough lately, and making smart plays when it mattered. If I were to blame on thing, it was my putts.
I picked it up in the second round and shot a 62. Still not amazing or anything, but it made me feel good to make the adjustments and shave those strokes off.

Sometimes for me, its not about those terrible rounds or bad experiences, its about what I do afterward to correct it or come back from it.

The first mini I ever played was Monday singles at Greenbelt in Carrollton, TX. We started on hole 16 and I proceeded to bogey 16 and 17. If you have never played Greenbelt, 18 has a 50ft wide creek running down the right side and trees in the center of the fairway at 50ft and right in front of the basket forcing you to throw a hyzer over the creek.

There was a slight head wind and I threw a destroyer out over the creek that never faded back in bounds. So I walk up about 75ft to where it crossed the creek and throw a teebird which also never faded back in bounds. So I walk up about 50 more feet to throw my 5th shot. I throw a buzz that actually looked good, faded right towards the pin and hit the pole just below the pan. The pole immediately sent my buzz rolling for the creek. It rolled a good 45ft and dropped in the creek. I missed the 45footer and dropped in for a triple circle 8.

I had to fight the strong urge to just get in my truck and sell all my discs, but I sucked it up and finished the last 15 holes.

This one time, we ran out of beer before we were even done with our round.

In a similar vain- The time my buddy and I were playing in Southern Pines NC, the temperature was over 100 and he was drinking his stand by 211 Malt Liquor (in the all black can) with out a coozie. He nursed that beer for the entire round. Now having tried and nearly gagged on ice cold 211 one time, the thought of that awful stuff flat and literally hot in the can, has scarred me for life.

The day I felt the worst on a DG course happened in Burlington NC at Cedarock Park.

After my two friends and I tee off, we pick up our bags and start down the fairway when we hear someone call out "Hey!". We turn and look and here come 2 sheriff deputies from about 300' away. We were not doing anything illegal so we just yelled "Hey!" back and kept walking. They keep walking towards (200' away now) us and ask "Can we talk to you?". So we say "sure". They ask (100' away) "have you been in the pro shop?". I say "Sure, I stopped by there last year.". At this point (60'-70' away), they say "Never mind." So now I am curious, I ask "what's going on?". To which they replied (still 50' away) "a guy wearing clothes that match yours dropped a baggie of marijuana in the pro shop so when we saw you walking over here we thought you were the guy but he was in his twenties so we are sorry to bother you"
I know at 46 I'm no spring chicken, but those whipper snappers could have at least got close enough to see the whites of my eyes before deciding I was no longer in my twenties. Throw me a fricken bone would you?

My worst was throwing OB into a rushing river. Set the bag down on what appeared to be a safe spot on the side of the river to give a quick look. Step down about 2' from the bag only to be confused as to why all my discs are rolling past me and then my bag too!

Iphone in my pocket, jump into the river grabbing discs and trying to grab my bag. I completely submerge and come up to fall over again. Manage to save about 5 of my 20 discs and my bag. The rest are long gone. I'm obviously soaked to the bone and utterly upset.

Since we're playing tags (and on hole 3) I tough it out and play the worst golf of my life.

Worst I've seen in person is a toss up between these 2 incidents:

1. Guy on my card in the 2nd round of a very long course, throws a drive from a wet rubber teepad and has his plant foot give way. Simultaneously has his knee give out and his inner thigh go terrible. Dude could barely walk but finished the tournament.

2. Friend of mine, who shall remain nameless, throws a shot in the same tournament, different card. Tree about 15' off the teepad. Kicks pretty bad, but not worthy of the re-tee in his opinion. Jail shot -> tree. Worse jail shot -> tree into OB. I had to talk him off the DNF ledge because he was done. Tears in his eyes he tells me about how much work he'd put into the sport and I felt for him. We've all been there - and I think the feeling of having all your confidence drained is almost as bad as the horrendous score you'll have to have put down on the scorecard.

Lucky mud?

Nope, a Rustic private course out in the jungles of Southeast Portland on losts of acreage. Think Four Mound in the rain forest.

Last edited:
This happened to a friend today. He was down in the creek fishing out discs, and another group threw on him. Im not sure if they were able to see him down there.
f1f0dae61164674ed907d1ffe1e99294.jpg

Frisbee chicks are going to go wild for his disc related scar. He's going to get SO much 6/10 frozbee skank tail now. Good on him.

This one didn't happen to me but it was a sight to behold, dude shows up and enters our small local charity tourney, has been playing locally for a while, enters the lowest division and when asked to play higher says "I have to play the low one so I can win the trophy disc and sell it to make my money back", apparently he had gotten into the bill money and spent part of the power bill money and when his wife founds out, shows up and proceeds to respond in the way you could imagine and throws a huge public scene, though he did beat the kids and seniors who he played with and somehow got somone to buy an Inncolor Mako from him for 25 and made the power money back, thinking they bought it out of pity. LOL

My worst was throwing OB into a rushing river. Set the bag down on what appeared to be a safe spot on the side of the river to give a quick look. Step down about 2' from the bag only to be confused as to why all my discs are rolling past me and then my bag too!

Iphone in my pocket, jump into the river grabbing discs and trying to grab my bag. I completely submerge and come up to fall over again. Manage to save about 5 of my 20 discs and my bag. The rest are long gone. I'm obviously soaked to the bone and utterly upset.

Since we're playing tags (and on hole 3) I tough it out and play the worst golf of my life.

Worst I've seen in person is a toss up between these 2 incidents:

1. Guy on my card in the 2nd round of a very long course, throws a drive from a wet rubber teepad and has his plant foot give way. Simultaneously has his knee give out and his inner thigh go terrible. Dude could barely walk but finished the tournament.

2. Friend of mine, who shall remain nameless, throws a shot in the same tournament, different card. Tree about 15' off the teepad. Kicks pretty bad, but not worthy of the re-tee in his opinion. Jail shot -> tree. Worse jail shot -> tree into OB. I had to talk him off the DNF ledge because he was done. Tears in his eyes he tells me about how much work he'd put into the sport and I felt for him. We've all been there - and I think the feeling of having all your confidence drained is almost as bad as the horrendous score you'll have to have put down on the scorecard.

Your river story destroys both of those. Worst story ever.

My worst experiences, which keep happening, are when I teach new players the game and they drive my discs right into trees.
I cringe, they see me, I have to convince them that there are not parts of me dying inside. They're just discs, and it's just money, and it's just a test of my inner peace.

got a new teebird a few weeks ago... took it to the course to take some practice throws and feel it out.... threw it into the lake the very first time it left my hand. also threw a roc into the lake that I had also picked up that same day... but at least I got to throw that one three or four times before I lost it... ugh

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk