• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Terms from Golf that Maybe Shouldn't Be?

Instead of focusing on the examples in the OP how bout some that are clearly different.

Hyzer = Hook
Anhyzer = Slice (or these can be viewed vice versa)
Shule = Rough
Mid range = Iron

I am sure there are plenty more commonly used terms that you all can come up with. Not your local only terms, but terms that are widely used.

Of the five OP terms: Tap-in, Fairway, Hole, Stroke, and Green, I only use "hole" just because it's so common, and...what are you going to say? Basket # 1? It sounds funny at this point, but may change in the future.

The other terms don't make much sense in DG, and I never use them on the course. The only one I see an argument for is "Fairway."

When referring to the "target" (i.e. the place the disc is supposed to end up) I can only recall it being referred to as a basket. Hole is used more to describe the entire area between the tee area and the basket.

The only other term in the OP's post that I can say I hear regularaly on the course is "Fairway" which I think it fine in its present usage of "the way the designer intended the disc to go to the basket".

As far as borrowing terms from Ball Golf: Both games/sports are golf, just the tools to play the game/sport are different. Since they are in essence the same game/sport many of the terms are shared.

Here are my not-so-serious suggestions for a lexicon retcon

We're all meeting up at Snap-pad (Tee) #1 for a round of Disc (disc golf)!
Man, my Snap (drive) was almost 400 feet, but then I clipped a tree and wound up in the brambles (rough)! OR Man, my Snap (drive) shanked into the brambles, but my touch-shot (approach) parked right under the post (pin, hole, basket, etc.)!
I'm on the line (on the fairway)! Damn, I'm off-line (in the brambles)!
I'm in the circle (green) and I'm sinking (putting) a three.
I clinked a three (drop-in putt).

Snap-shot: Drive
Touch-shot: Approach
Sink-Shot: Putt. Also known as sinking the pole
Clink: Drop-in
The Line: The fairway
Bramble: Rough
The Circle: well, the circle

Other terminology:
"Down-the-hole": any errant shot, ie Man, I've gone down the freakin' hole on this one
"Ghost-post": When your sink shot shoots through the chains and comes out the other side
"Guster": any errant wind that lifts or adversely affects your disc in any way. Most notably when sinking the pole (putting)
An ace is an ace
Deuce or bird for 2

Any other suggestions?

Man, my Snap (drive) was almost 400 feet, but then I clipped a tree and wound up in the brambles (rough)! OR Man, my Snap (drive) shanked into the brambles, but my touch-shot (approach) parked right under the post (pin, hole, basket, etc.)!
I'm on the line (on the fairway)! Damn, I'm off-line (in the brambles)!
I'm in the circle (green) and I'm sinking (putting) a three.
I clinked a three (drop-in putt).

Snap-shot: Drive
Touch-shot: Approach
Sink-Shot: Putt. Also known as sinking the pole
Clink: Drop-in
The Line: The fairway
Bramble: Rough
The Circle: well, the circle

Other terminology:
"Down-the-hole": any errant shot, ie Man, I've gone down the freakin' hole on this one
"Ghost-post": When your sink shot shoots through the chains and comes out the other side
"Guster": any errant wind that lifts or adversely affects your disc in any way. Most notably when sinking the pole (putting)
An ace is an ace
Deuce or bird for 2

Any other suggestions?

...what British disc golfers might say.*

:clap:

* - $25,000 Pyramid reference

Stroke sounds better than throw or shot. Imma continue to use stroke.

The reason we say "hole" is because it's easier to describe a...basket...lane.

"Man, basket 13 destroys me"

"Is it missing chains or what?"

"Nah I mean hole 13 brah"

How else are we supposed to describe a...hole?

We might as well change some other terms while we are at it...

Par should be "adequation"

Birdie should be "fowlie"

Bogey should be "hobgoblin"

Whatcha think?

With respect to the OP, I've found the ball-golf-ization of DG vocabulary to be the result of wanting to sound a little more formal.

When I first started playing, I found that using terms like "basket," "throw," and "frisbee" made the sport feel like (to me, mind you) something a couple of rednecks cooked up in their backyard. So instead I opted for golf terms that gave a sense of sophistication to the DG vocabulary.

We see this same phenomena in spoken language when people try to sound educated. They use "I" wrong (as in, "He hit my friend and I"), they use "myself" wrong (as in, "As for myself"), ad nauseum, in order to sound sophisticated.

I'm not saying this is why EVERYONE uses ball golf terms for DG, I'm just saying I wonder how much of this comes into play--it did for me.

When I first started playing, I found that using terms like "basket," "throw," and "frisbee" made the sport feel like (to me, mind you) something a couple of rednecks cooked up in their backyard..

Isn't that pretty much how it started?:|

Well I'm going to keep using tee box for sure, because everytime one of my friends turns to me and says "I'm on the pad", I freak out a little.

And for as we why we keep many terms from ball golf is simply the game evolving from it. Kind of like a Model T had an engine and so does a Ferrari, they are very different in many ways yet they serve the same purpose so have the same term.

Stroke may work, it's just wrong kind of like using ain't. It ain't proper English. It ain't even propa Ebonics.

Last edited:
Green has no real bearing on disc golf. The circle is the official putting area defined by the rules. Green is a term that is only used casually (I hear "fast green" often), so I don't feel like arguing that one any more.

Thanks. I agree. (smiley here if I wasn't over my smiley limit for this post)

I think "put" is the best way to describe the disc golf putting motion. Particularly for push putters, it's not a full throw, and it definitely is not a lob.

It doesn't apply to spin putters though. They're not so much pushing the disc.

Disc golf is still GOLF, just using frisbees. You're thinking about it too hard, these terms are fine for disc golf.

Except disc golf isn't golf. It's like golf, it borrows heavily from golf, but I think it's fine to forge your own identity as a sport, and borrowing too heavily inhibits that, IMO.

The term "Green" in golf is a shortened version of "putting green". So, it is appropriate in disc golf to use the term "green" as is means "Putting Green". Any area of the course that is within putting distance of the whole is the green.

Everyone's definition of "within putting distance" changes, though, so there's still no clearly defined "green." And you're still basing the use of the term "green" on another word that may or may not really apply (but asking to rename putters and "putting" isn't going to change, that one's TOO entrenched, and even I can see that :D).

Fariway is simply the easiest, most advantageous, path to the hole.

Y'all have convinced me "fairway" is okay. You win on that one. :)

A tap-in, in disc golf is any put that's close enough to be reach out and tap the chains with the disc. that's fairly similar to golf tap-ins.

Not to change the subject, then, but what do you call a five footer in disc golf? A five footer is about the equivalent of a one-footer in golf, but you can't "tap" the chains. Is there a word for it?

Its a whole lot easier than being a lexicon nazi.

I really don't hope you're calling me a "lexicon nazi." I like to think about these things from time to time. The way we use words interests me.

Another term that doesn't translate: tee.

May strike a few people here as odd but I'm okay with "tee." Yes it's the plastic or wooden thing in golf, but it's also more generally the area from which you begin play. Not every course has a "pad" so I don't personally like "pad" as a replacement. "Tee" strikes me as okay.

The only other way you could really go with this if you didn't want to use the word "tee" would be to call it a "line" or a box. Tennis has a defined area from which you're allowed to serve and it's all behind the service line and within the ends of it (from the middle to the outer edge). So you could call something the "Snap Line" or something like that in disc golf (snap coming from one of the other poster's suggestions). "Starting Line" sounds too much like a race.

So the way I see it you call it a "line" or a "box" or a "tee."

Actually, tackle can meen simply taking on a problem or opponent or to seize or take down.

Soccer ("football" outside the U.S.) also uses the word "tackle."

Shule = Rough

I don't think I've ever seen that word used.

Of the five OP terms: Tap-in, Fairway, Hole, Stroke, and Green, I only use "hole" just because it's so common, and...what are you going to say? Basket # 1? It sounds funny at this point, but may change in the future.

Yeah, I don't know. "Route" isn't a good replacement, nor is something like "Man, Test 15 was a brute today!" "Basket" would be the equivalent in golf (the specific hole in the ground can also refer to the entire region from tee to green inclusive, so the specific basket could also refer to the entire region as well). So "Basket 15 was a brute today" would be the likely equivalent. It seems okay to me. I know nobody here likes it though. :)

As in golf, you can say "the hole was tucked today" just as you can say "the basket was tucked today" and you can say "hole 13 was into the wind" just like you could say "basket 13 was into the wind" referring to the entirety.

"Snap" seems okay. But then would you rename "drivers" in disc golf to be "snappers" or "snap discs"?

Shank is another golf term I'm not terribly cool with using here. There's no hosel off which to hit a disc in disc golf. :)

into the brambles, but my touch-shot (approach)

No problem here with "approach" shot. That's general in golf and disc golf.

We might as well change some other terms while we are at it...

Par should be "adequation"

I'm okay with "par" too. It's become pretty general. We use the phrase "up to par," and golf gets the third definition of "par" on dictionary.com. And since we can use "par" I think "birdie" and "bogey" are okay. As a golfer, I don't have any problems with "par" being used.

Sounds like a double standard, and maybe it is, but I think rejecting the word "green" is not really the same as rejecting the word "par." :D

Anyway, thanks for the discussion guys. I appreciate it. And like I said you've convinced me that "fairway" is okay.

May strike a few people here as odd but I'm okay with "tee." Yes it's the plastic or wooden thing in golf, but it's also more generally the area from which you begin play. Not every course has a "pad" so I don't personally like "pad" as a replacement. "Tee" strikes me as okay.

The only other way you could really go with this if you didn't want to use the word "tee" would be to call it a "line" or a box. Tennis has a defined area from which you're allowed to serve and it's all behind the service line and within the ends of it (from the middle to the outer edge). So you could call something the "Snap Line" or something like that in disc golf (snap coming from one of the other poster's suggestions). "Starting Line" sounds too much like a race.

So the way I see it you call it a "line" or a "box" or a "tee."

Even in ball golf, the use of the word "tee" does not refer to the teeing area, it actually refers to the device holding the ball. A "tee box" is simply the area in which you can place your tee.

I saw one review on here that referred to the tee boxes as "launching pads".

Latest posts