• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Texas Collegiate Championships- No Overhands?

biscoe

* Ace Member *
PDGA granted waiver to not allow overhand shots off the tees? Is this really true? I am having a hard time actually believing it.

True. Big topic of discussion at Directors Cup at IDGC this weekend.

The controversy, IMO, isn't the limit on overhand throws (really no different than a one-disc only tourney or other similar stipulations). It's that this event was approved to be rated. That makes no sense, at least considering events that don't get rated.

Okay, I'll ask. Why is there a ban on overhands at this tournament? Is the President's airplane circling over the course at an altitude of fifty feet, thus creating a national security no-fly zone, or something? Is the area home to a rare and endangered species of condor that circles over disc golf courses for hours on end? Did the neighboring condominium association complain about the sight of discs suddenly appearing over the treetops, only to disappear again?

Help me out here.

What was the concensus among members/TDs? Among players on FB, it seems there is solid agreement that such a waiver is not appropriate.

Apparently the course lacks tall trees to the point where players can "cheat" the design with overhands more often than is considered acceptable.

Seems to me that the course isn't that great design-wise and the rule is desired to make it better for competition.

The controversy, IMO, isn't the limit on overhand throws (really no different than a one-disc only tourney or other similar stipulations). It's that this event was approved to be rated. That makes no sense, at least considering events that don't get rated.

While i would argue that it is considerably different from a one-disc event or something similar the fact that it will be rated is indeed even more inane.

Apparently the reason for it is that the course has a bunch of new trees you can throw over and doing so thwarts the designer's intent. Taking that as the case I would suggest there are numerous better fixes than restricting overhands but still allowing backhands or forehands over the trees. First and foremost would be finding a more suitable venue if you are really bothered by it that much.

What was the concensus among members/TDs? Among players on FB, it seems there is solid agreement that such a waiver is not appropriate.

Not sure there's consensus but like I said, the big objection isn't the waiver banning overhands (note it's only tee shots) so much as that the rounds will get rated. There are TDs here who run one disc only or two disc challenge type events that don't get ratings and they don't understand the difference between limiting throwing styles and limiting discs being used.

Limiting discs being used seems infinitely more fair than limiting throwing styles. IMO neither should be rated though.

There should be no problem with rating the rounds, merely qualify the rating and only compare ratings for events with similar schema. For example, the proposed 1-disc World Championships. The options are endless...

Change of venue seems superior to delivery style, however.

Cant they just use a clown's mouth type mando?... I mean not allowing overhands doesn't change the fact that you could do the same thing with a spike hyzer...

I was reading on Reddit and from what I can tell they said the justification was basically that they didn't want to take the time to make every hole a triple Mando. So basically laziness...

Glad I'm 38 years out of college. I would've been spittin' wooden nickels were they to limit shot selections for a state championship. Funzie event okay, but not a collegiate biggie. What's next...?

No jump putting, it's far too controllable and destroys the designers attempt to thwart your approach.... yea pretty sure you can phrase anything limiting a throwing style and it sounds equally rediculous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was a poor decision by the PDGA. Sanctioned events should not be allowed to completely modify/remove/add/embellish core rules from the rulebook.

I mean come on, overhands are clearly not the only way to cheese short courses with short barriers. They might as well have added a rule that limits players with more power than others.

No one can throw a shot over 400 feet. Boom. /sarcasm

TLDR: Terrible

Or maybe I should say, no one can throw a shot over X feet high.

What even is an overhand throw? Is a forehand thrown above X angle perpendicular to the ground considered an overhand?

What about backhand sky flex shots? Don't these "cheat" over short barriers? Or are they considered an overhand too because the angle of the shot is greater than X degrees?