• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Thank you disc golf!

discdug

Par Member
Yesterday Aug 4 2010 marked my one year anniversary of my severe heart attack. I was 38 years old and very active with work and competitive archery. I the summer of 2008 I became Pennsylvania state archery field champion at 40-90 yards. I was training daily and shooting tournaments almost every weekend and traveling to many states on this side of the U.S. just to compete with the best archers. Then Aug 4 2009 my heart decided to slow me down, if not bringing me to a complete stop. It took me until Feb 2010 to be able to have enough strength to exercise and be able to do certain things without loosing my breath and getting very tired just by doing the simplest tasks. By now I was really missing the competitive archery scene being that I could no longer hold the bow for long periods of time and even pull the arrows from the target. I didn't know what I was going to do now that I can't shoot any more. Then I was searching online one day and found a disc golf web site. I searched around the site and thought this might be something I could do. It involves a lot of walking which is good for me any way and could help me bring back that competitiveness that I miss. So i went on EBAY and found some discs selling for a price that I could afford at the time. I told a close friend about disc golf, seeing that he loves tossing the frisbee every chance he gets and now he is hooked as well. We fortunately found a lot of disc golf courses around our house and started going every Wed. night just to get out and exercise. I never thought it would be this much fun and boy is it addicting. I am now playing 3 days a week and feeling a lot better with all of the exercise I get from DG and from the gym that I visit 4 days a week. I brought a lot of my archery training over to disc golf which makes me feel like I didn't loose all those years it took me to get to the point where I was before my heart attack. The mental game and focus are quite the same in DG and archery. The people and the joking and teasing are still the same in DG as well and I missed that the most. Just being with friends and having a good time means more to me now than anything else in the world next to my beautiful wife. She has had a lot put on her shoulders since then and I can never be grateful enough to have her in my life.

So please don't take anything for granted because you never know what is going to happen that might change your life. Thank your friends one day, just for being there for you and listening to what ever you have to say or complain about. Hug you wife or husband or significant other everyday and tell them you love them. You never know when you might have to depend on them to help you get through the tough times in life. Live one day at time and treat it like it is your last! Live out your dreams and help your loved ones do the same.

So here it is:

THANK YOU!

congrats on your recovery!

Thanks! It hasn't been a full recovery though. I still cant do most of the things I was able to do but with the exercise I can still play disc golf to a certain extent!

I took archery in High school. Many times we would be left unsupervised and inevitably somone would shoot an arrow straight up in the air. The first time it happened I freaked out and took off running. After thinking about it I realized that if you stand still, the odds, of an arrow being able to be shot exactly straight up and then come exactly straight back down, are difinitely in your favor if you stand still. One day an arrow came down and went right through the roof of a School Bus that was parked about 50' away. Noone ever found out how the bus got a hole in it's roof...until now.

Great story, thanks for sharing and I'm glad this great sport has had a positive impact on you!

Do you putt with this?

aerobiearrowgolfdisc.jpg

I took archery in High school. Many times we would be left unsupervised and inevitably somone would shoot an arrow straight up in the air. The first time it happened I freaked out and took off running. After thinking about it I realized that if you stand still, the odds, of an arrow being able to be shot exactly straight up and then come exactly straight back down, are difinitely in your favor if you stand still. One day an arrow came down and went right through the roof of a School Bus that was parked about 50' away. Noone ever found out how the bus got a hole in it's roof...until now.

Great story, thanks for sharing and I'm glad this great sport has had a positive impact on you!

Thanks dude. :hfive:

That's a great story, thanks for sharing. Was speaking last night with a friend who has had 2 open heart surgeries in the past 10 years. We were just saying that this might be something he'd enjoy, be able to do, and even help with his condition. I'll hafta pass your story along to him!

Thanks guys. I threw this out there to tell everybody that nothing is impossible if you work hard enough for it. Anybody with any disability can do anything they put their hart into. If one day you are sitting there saying to your self "I just cant do it" or "It is just to hard for me" get off of your a$$ and try. Then try again, and then try again. You will be amazed at what you can accomplish.
I played Deer Lake two weekend ago with a friend. When we started I was hoping to just make it thru 9 holes. When we finished the ninth hole I asked him if he wanted to do another 9 with me. We completed that day by playing 18 at Deer Lake and another 9 at Monroeville. What a day I had. I payed for it the following day by being tiered most of the day but I looked back at what I accomplished and felt pretty good about myself. I am working on doing Morain and Knob Hill by the end of the month. Maybe I will see some of you guys there.

Last edited:
18 holes at Deer Lakes can be a workout for those of us that are "healthy". Great Job! I will be playing a couple rounds up at Jumonville tonight which I think is near you, if you wanted to get a couple holes in shoot me a PM.

discdug,
Thank you for your inspirational story...and congratulations on your recovery.
I am extremely happy for you and hope that you continue to enjoy the game.

Latest posts