• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Thank you disc golf!

I also want to take a second and say congrats on your recovery and also thank you for posting this. I am now 37 years old and have a very significant heart history in my family. My father and his two brothers were both lost to massive heart attacks. I am not nearly as active as I should be but disc golf has given me something fun that I can do, and also provide exercise walking around the course. Thanks again for the inspiration. :clap:

I will be in the same boat, sort of. I am still recovering from a ruptured Achilles Tendon, and I have now crutched two entire courses, not even playing. People look at me like I'm crazy.

Hopefully most of my physical therapy will be me just walking the course with my buddies, then move up to throwing.

Best of luck to your full recovery.

:hfive:
Yesterday Aug 4 2010 marked my one year anniversary of my severe heart attack. I was 38 years old and very active with work and competitive archery. I the summer of 2008 I became Pennsylvania state archery field champion at 40-90 yards. I was training daily and shooting tournaments almost every weekend and traveling to many states on this side of the U.S. just to compete with the best archers. Then Aug 4 2009 my heart decided to slow me down, if not bringing me to a complete stop. It took me until Feb 2010 to be able to have enough strength to exercise and be able to do certain things without loosing my breath and getting very tired just by doing the simplest tasks. By now I was really missing the competitive archery scene being that I could no longer hold the bow for long periods of time and even pull the arrows from the target. I didn't know what I was going to do now that I can't shoot any more. Then I was searching online one day and found a disc golf web site. I searched around the site and thought this might be something I could do. It involves a lot of walking which is good for me any way and could help me bring back that competitiveness that I miss. So i went on EBAY and found some discs selling for a price that I could afford at the time. I told a close friend about disc golf, seeing that he loves tossing the frisbee every chance he gets and now he is hooked as well. We fortunately found a lot of disc golf courses around our house and started going every Wed. night just to get out and exercise. I never thought it would be this much fun and boy is it addicting. I am now playing 3 days a week and feeling a lot better with all of the exercise I get from DG and from the gym that I visit 4 days a week. I brought a lot of my archery training over to disc golf which makes me feel like I didn't loose all those years it took me to get to the point where I was before my heart attack. The mental game and focus are quite the same in DG and archery. The people and the joking and teasing are still the same in DG as well and I missed that the most. Just being with friends and having a good time means more to me now than anything else in the world next to my beautiful wife. She has had a lot put on her shoulders since then and I can never be grateful enough to have her in my life.

So please don't take anything for granted because you never know what is going to happen that might change your life. Thank your friends one day, just for being there for you and listening to what ever you have to say or complain about. Hug you wife or husband or significant other everyday and tell them you love them. You never know when you might have to depend on them to help you get through the tough times in life. Live one day at time and treat it like it is your last! Live out your dreams and help your loved ones do the same.

So here it is:

THANK YOU!

:hfive::thmbup::):D

I used to play regularly when I was younger. I quit about the time the "Extra Long Range Driver" Eagle was released by Innova. I was just too busy working.

In April 2009, my brother fell face first on the floor and died from a massive heart attack. I wasn't in the best of shape and worked too much. My employer was nice enough to find a job for me working just four days a week driving a steel truck... (I had a CDL from years before... it was great to get out of management). The job is a good workout, but I still needed to walk more. I grabbed four of my old discs and went to Audubon Park and started playing again. As it always happens, I joined up with a group of great guys... been part of their group over a year now... bought and sold or traded over 100 discs... lost 15 pounds and can play all day.

I'll be 50 in January... my new lifestyle (disc golf, flatbed trucking and a lot less stress) will probably add 10 or 15 years to my life. (or more)

This is a great game... the young guys should never quit... encourage the old man to play, you may see more of him on the course and at more holiday gatherings...

Keep on playing discdug... it will only get better.

I used to play regularly when I was younger. I quit about the time the "Extra Long Range Driver" Eagle was released by Innova. I was just too busy working.

In April 2009, my brother fell face first on the floor and died from a massive heart attack. I wasn't in the best of shape and worked too much. My employer was nice enough to find a job for me working just four days a week driving a steel truck... (I had a CDL from years before... it was great to get out of management). The job is a good workout, but I still needed to walk more. I grabbed four of my old discs and went to Audubon Park and started playing again. As it always happens, I joined up with a group of great guys... been part of their group over a year now... bought and sold or traded over 100 discs... lost 15 pounds and can play all day.

I'll be 50 in January... my new lifestyle (disc golf, flatbed trucking and a lot less stress) will probably add 10 or 15 years to my life. (or more)

This is a great game... the young guys should never quit... encourage the old man to play, you may see more of him on the course and at more holiday gatherings...

Keep on playing discdug... it will only get better.
:clap: it's good to know there are truck drivers out there who aren't miserable bastards. i come from a rich history of miserable, alcoholic truckers

Latest posts