• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

the ace gods are happy with the sacrifice

andrewkh

Par Member
one of my home course (firestein dgc findlay, oh) has been recently had a mass tree removal. this area is heavily effected by emerald ash borers and this park was 90% ash trees. it's looking very bare as most of the holes played threw a lot of mature ash trees. the one good thing, there are now a lot more ace opportunities. i played 2 rounds of 9 there earlier and had at least 5 runs within a few feet of the basket. it's sad to see this park basically ruined by emerald ash borers but i am personally going to be getting a lot more aces while the re-planting takes place.

Some would say those Aces are gained under false pretenses, as the course was altered and you took advantage of it.

Some would also say that those people need to get lives.

i have played that course and with the trees thats a amazing course but just picturing it without them its a waste or time

in my defense, not all the trees are gone, there are still quite a few trees left unaffected by the emerald ash borer. these still provide enough challenge to still make the holes interesting. the thing is, the holes i'm excited about the possibility of acing where previously forehand dominant holes and now there are routes to take both forehand and back hand. with these specific holes were difficult just to get a 2 on being a back hand thrower and now i'm looking at the prospect of ace opportunities.

Tree removal isn't a players issue. Any ace hit now is every bit as legitimate as one hit before, just a whole lot easier. Happy hunting.

well, right now it evolved to be a whole lot less trees in about a weeks time. right now there are talks going on to get replanting going asap as well as the addition of a bunch of short term obstacles to add challenge while the new trees are growing. by the sounds of things, any ace advantage i get which the mass tree removal will be short lived.

Tree removal isn't a players issue. Any ace hit now is every bit as legitimate as one hit before, just a whole lot easier. Happy hunting.

+1
Some courses get tougher over time, yours just got easier.
Now if YOU cut down the trees...

My definition of a sacrifice to the Ace Gods: Losing an ace disc, and subsequently getting an ace in a relatively short amount of time afterwards.

I try my best not to lose ace discs... but it's happened to me twice this year (one was a multi-ace Champ Coyote---> icy water) and I'm at 7 and counting in 2010!

My definition of a sacrifice to the Ace Gods: Losing an ace disc, and subsequently getting an ace in a relatively short amount of time afterwards.

I try my best not to lose ace discs... but it's happened to me twice this year (one was a multi-ace Champ Coyote---> icy water) and I'm at 7 and counting in 2010!

Man what courses have you been playing that you've hit 7 aces this year already. I like to consider myself a resonably skilled player and I've only hit 7 in the 8yrs or so I've been playing. If those are all on legit courses and holes, that's impressive

Man what courses have you been playing that you've hit 7 aces this year already. I like to consider myself a resonably skilled player and I've only hit 7 in the 8yrs or so I've been playing. If those are all on legit courses and holes, that's impressive

Most of them are very short holes:

1-Hole #16 Grignon Park, 210 ft.
2-Hole #10 Grignon Park, 235 ft. but very tight hyzer lane
3-Hole #14 Grignon Park 164 ft.
4-Same as ^^^
5-Hole #1 Grignon Park, 299' big downhill
6-Hole #4 Lower Cato Falls Park, 289 ft. uphill a bit
7-Hole #15 Grignon Park, 197',

I don't know if you call those legit since they are so short, a few of them are pretty tight lanes though (not completely evidenced by the pics, e.g. hole 16 is a very tight fairway, hole 10 is pretty tight as well -- got a bit lucky on a hyzer skip line... and hole 15 those trees to the right of the basket totally block your hyzer ace so you gotta hit the $ line, which I did by throwing a sick finesse hyzer flip with my beat soft magnet). All 6 aces at Grignon were from the short pads; they play those in league since there's a bunch of older gents, including the 70? year old course designer, so I mix it up between the am/pro tees there.

Still looking for that 300'+ ace....

Andy, you're making Grignon look like a pitch and putt! Just to let everyone out there know; front nine from long tees is a tough par; and hole #17 is toughest hole in the valley (@ 6 courses). I believe I have one of only five deuces on #17! Course has been in the ground for a lot of years now. Most of back nine is good for ace runs though; I have quite a few myself; over the years.

And, Andy you suck, as I am ace less for 2010!:( Am thinking of getting out in the crazy wind to Grignon today.

+1
Some courses get tougher over time, yours just got easier.
Now if YOU cut down the trees...
Yep...it's always an unpleasant surprise to go back to a course you haven't been to in awhile and find a new tree planted right where you used to aim your drive.

one of my home course (firestein dgc findlay, oh) has been recently had a mass tree removal. this area is heavily effected by emerald ash borers and this park was 90% ash trees. it's looking very bare as most of the holes played threw a lot of mature ash trees. the one good thing, there are now a lot more ace opportunities. i played 2 rounds of 9 there earlier and had at least 5 runs within a few feet of the basket. it's sad to see this park basically ruined by emerald ash borers but i am personally going to be getting a lot more aces while the re-planting takes place.

shenanigans!!!!

Latest posts