• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The bag of a noob

Matt T

So here's what I have. I've only been playing about a month and would appreciate any help. If there are two discs that are similar it's either because I was too new to realize or I wanted to try the 2 and figure out which works best.

Drivers - AvengerSS 167g (I usually don't really throw this one for speed reasons but with a good forehand I can throw it to about 278-280). Star sidewinder 173g? (This one I can put out just as far and slightly more accurately than my AvengerSS rhbh)

Fairway - Star Teebird 169g (I can get this one out to about 260 rhbh and can throw it fairly straight unless I'm trying to throw it too hard and griplock it) Proton Volt 174 (just got this one recently so I haven't gotten a chance to see distance)

Mids - Roc3 173g (still working on figuring out the fade on this one but I can get it to about 210-220) DX Shark 150g (this was in the beginner pack and I didn't really like it at first till it got beat in now I can put it on a good anny and it'll just keep going, about the same distance as the roc3).

Putters - Soft Wizard, MVP Ion soft. I got the ion because I wanted something a little softer than my wizard and I like it so far. Both of these I can put out to about 200 consistently on a good day.

i would say that is a pretty solid bag. i would say since you more than likely dont have the form for power drives maybe look at getting a blizzard disc. not too light like 135 grahm but maybe a 158. will give you that extra distance for drives.

the only thing that i can see you might be missing is a little bit more in the fairway driver range. maybe look at a westside stag, nuke for overstable distance, or a buzz.

At your distances, the Volt and the Teebird are going to overlap big time. Think about something a little more US, perhaps a Leopard, River, Amp or Patriot, and another more OS, maybe a champ Eagle or Predator or Shock or something. I'd diversify fairways and mids, and actually your two putters are almost identical. Drop one for something more understable, maybe a beadless Aviar or a Voodoo, and consider getting a very OS putter, like a Rhyno, Zone or Pig.

i would also look at adding some more in the fairway with tons of glide. a stag underworld tandem are pretty good. stag is stable to overstable and the underworld is understable.

I had a 150g dx leopard but I gave it to a friend cuz no matter how I threw it it would go straight to the right and in the ground. Maybe it's me maybe it's the disc (most likely me). I'll probably end up trading the wizard for something else. Just wasn't a huge fan of the way it felt in my hand. Would you guys have any suggestions for an understable mid?

noob needs an understable mid?

innova_dx_stingray_white_black_stock_1.jpg

there are a few out there that are understable. the tursas is a nice disc for understable mid range. if you like innova then the kite is a good disc, the panther is another understable midrange. oh sorry here is the flight ratings

tursas: 5 5 -3 1 westside
panther: 5 4 -2 1 innova
kite: 5 6 -3 1 innova
stingray: 4 5 -3 1 innova
meteor: -.5 discraft

those are some of them that i can think of.

Thanks for all the help. I'll probably be back soon with a video of my throw so I can get help on my issues there.

the throw can change a lot when it comes to getting an anhyzer. you can take a stable disc such as buzz ss and throw it with an anhyzer and it will fly just like any anhyzer except maybe the fade. you can take most any dx plastic disc and after about 3 months of playing with it and hitting a good amount of trees it will be beat in enough to be nothing but an anhyzer.