• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Battle of Stoney Hill (a Team Play Event) - Nov. 1-2

DavidSauls

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Once again we invite our disc golf friends to come play in our yard---and help us raise money for The Children's Heart Foundation.

We had so much fun as 4-man-team event last year that we're refining and repeating the format. So grab 3 friends and join us for weekend of revelry and rivalry, camping, disc golfing at Stoney Hill, and supporting a great cause.

More information on the event, and the Stoney Hill course, available at---

http://www.saulsinsurance.com/stoneyhill/battle.htm

Formats, by round, are

(1) Best Disc Doubles
(2) Best Shot Match Play Doubles
(3) Match Play Singles
(4) 4-Man Team, a hybrid best-shot/alternate shot format where all 4 members are grouped together. (Trust us on this one; it works better than it sounds).

With these formats, we step out of the ordinary singles stroke play, or even best-shot doubles stroke play, with (hopefully) refreshing ways to compete at disc golf.

Maybe one day.

It's a terrifically fun format---I'm missing a similar one at the IDGC this weekend, due to an injured finger that knocked me off my team---plus, since we generally have a bunch of people camping on the course and hanging out for the entire weekend, something of a festival.

What if I don't have three friends (in the area, who can make it, or who want to set foot in South Carolina)? Is there a "random assignment" option for singletons like me?

We try to play matchmaker, usually starting a little closer to tournament time. The trick isn't finding 4 people to create a team, it's finding 4 people near the ratings cap. But we'll get names and ratings of singles who want to play, or teams missing a player, and try to put something together.

I'd love to come play! It all depends on what classes and school is like around then for my roommate and I, as well and our two buddies in Charleston.

How good do you have to be to play? I'm not the worst, but I am far from the best ;)

How so? The cap comes to an average of 940 per player. I'm 900-rated, so I'm valuable for any team that wants to grab a 975+ player. It makes team play interesting---some teams get 4 930-950 players, some will get a pair of 1000s and a pair 860s.

I'd love to come play! It all depends on what classes and school is like around then for my roommate and I, as well and our two buddies in Charleston.

How good do you have to be to play? I'm not the worst, but I am far from the best ;)

Depends on what you mean. For team play, it's how you fit in with the others on the team---everyone's equally valuable.

For Stoney Hill, if you're below 875 it can be a pretty challenging course. Particularly a couple of water carries, if you don't throw 250'. Tthough the formats are more forgiving than regular stroke play. (Your really bad holes can get erased in Best Disc and Best Shot, and in Singles Match Play the most you can lose on a hole is 1).

I guess I should clarify that there are some teams trying to get close to the ratings cap, to have the best chance at winning. There are others who just put together a team to be here. It is, after all, for fun and charity. And, with the match play and different formats, they still get some individual victories along the way.

Alright, thank you. Like I said, we will try to make this work. I believe I am around the 880 range, with my friends being around the same. Thanks!

Just looked at the flyer.....I love the way that the rounds work...mixing it up where all 4 of the players need to work well with all partners and not just one. There's some strategy involved in who will be designated A,B,C, and D. Which round do you want to have someone strong/weak together??....Who works best with who to get the win in that round???.....This looks to be the best team play event yet!!!

It was a leap of faith last year. We feel much better going into this year, knowing it worked well.

Yeah, the strategy is interesting. And this format makes it a real "team" effort---not just combining scores or dropping scores in singles play.

We were originally going in a different direction, but after playing the National Team Challenge and having so much fun we started from that base and---in our humble opinions---improved upon it.

Hopefully Chris, that prize will not go to us. I got out of my "funk" finally, and put together a great round at CC.....only to slip back a bit in the 2nd round. I think the team we have though should be strong overall. Talked with Kelly yesterday, and he is like me, really excited about this event. Regardless how we do, it's going to be incredibly fun!

Latest posts