• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Colt

As a fellow Colt lover, wanted to let you guys know I have 4 for sale in the marketplace. 2 proto stars, 1 first run, and 1 star all never thrown!

Hey guys. So I read this entire thread last night and wanted to ask a question so I made an account. I'm a new player, and currently have one non generic crap putter, which is the Dart. I was wanting to get a colt;m(especially the star!) but found out they both are drive putters/approach putters, so I wanted to know how they compare. Is it worth it to get both for windy days and non windy days, or shoud I just get one? If I should just get one, should I get a colt and sell the dart to my little sister, or should I just keep the dart?

Hey guys. So I read this entire thread last night and wanted to ask a question so I made an account. I'm a new player, and currently have one non generic crap putter, which is the Dart. I was wanting to get a colt;m(especially the star!) but found out they both are drive putters/approach putters, so I wanted to know how they compare. Is it worth it to get both for windy days and non windy days, or shoud I just get one? If I should just get one, should I get a colt and sell the dart to my little sister, or should I just keep the dart?

Get a couple Colts and give the Dart to your sister. :)

Get a couple Colts and give the Dart to your sister. :)

Thanks! I'll buy a colt then! So which plastic is the best? It seems star is but wanna make sure. Also, should I get one now or wait to see what other plastics it gets(I don't have much spending money, I can get one or two more discs not including colt)

Thanks! I'll buy a colt then! So which plastic is the best? It seems star is but wanna make sure. Also, should I get one now or wait to see what other plastics it gets(I don't have much spending money, I can get one or two more discs not including colt)

Putters are such personal items. I like the XT Colt because of the feel. Others like the Star more. I would suggest going to a store that has both and see how they feel in your hand. That will help you decide which is best for you since your funds are limited.

Just picked up my first Colt yesterday. Got a production dx. I've been throwing a dx Dart for a little while now as my straight approach & off the tee putter, but after picking up a few in premium plastics, I really am turned off by the massive amount of dome they have. I love how the Colt feels! I haven't thrown it enough yet to really get dialed in with it, but my first impression are good. Turns a bit when I throw it full power, but flies dead straight powered down. I can tell I'll be loving this disc the more I throw it. I think I'm gonna pick up a star Colt too next week. Glad I read this thread and gave this disc a try!

Just picked up my first Colt yesterday. Got a production dx. I've been throwing a dx Dart for a little while now as my straight approach & off the tee putter, but after picking up a few in premium plastics, I really am turned off by the massive amount of dome they have. I love how the Colt feels! I haven't thrown it enough yet to really get dialed in with it, but my first impression are good. Turns a bit when I throw it full power, but flies dead straight powered down. I can tell I'll be loving this disc the more I throw it. I think I'm gonna pick up a star Colt too next week. Glad I read this thread and gave this disc a try!

:thmbup: Welcome to the club. The Star Colt is excellent, as well.

:thmbup: Welcome to the club. The Star Colt is excellent, as well.
I'm looking forward to give the star a try. If the dx and star fly like I hope they do, they'll pair very nicely with my rhyno, bulldog and wizard. Both my local courses I play are very wooded, technical courses, so I'm throwing lots of mids and putters. Still early, but I'm a fan of the Colt for sure!

Picked up a 175 star Colt yesterday. Great disc! Definitely slightly more stable than the dx. The dx and star combo will cover all my understable to stable shots in my putter setup.
The one thing I'm wondering now is, do I even need my Shark & Roc in my bag anymore? The Colts cover basically all the same shots I use my beat flippy Shark and slightly beat in Roc for. Maybe I should just bag my roc3 for mids and go with the Colts for that speed 3-4 putter/mid spot. Thoughts?

Picked up a 175 star Colt yesterday. Great disc! Definitely slightly more stable than the dx. The dx and star combo will cover all my understable to stable shots in my putter setup.
The one thing I'm wondering now is, do I even need my Shark & Roc in my bag anymore? The Colts cover basically all the same shots I use my beat flippy Shark and slightly beat in Roc for. Maybe I should just bag my roc3 for mids and go with the Colts for that speed 3-4 putter/mid spot. Thoughts?

You're definitely following the path I went through with my mid after getting my Colts and Studs. I was using the Shark3 as my overstable mid. I found that the Colt and Stud were excellent approach discs in ranges I was using my mids for.

It depends on the course, but on some I just use the Colt and Stud. Some other courses I play do require the mids, as they are longer discs than the Colt and Stud. So I still bag my Prodigy M4 for understable/turnover shots, I'm working with the Wysocki Opto Compass and Doss Ti Buzzz, and I use a Gator or Banshee when I need a really overstable disc. And of course I have the Pink Panther for utility shots. But I don't often use my mids inside 200 ft. or so... I use the Colt and Stud.

The good news is that you get to have fun playing disc golf while figuring out what works best for you. :)

It depends on the course, but on some I just use the Colt and Stud. Some other courses I play do require the mids, as they are longer discs than the Colt and Stud.

That's how I figured I'd approach what discs to bag. I'd hate to give up that extra distance the Roc can gain, especially on the bigger bomber courses

That's how I figured I'd approach what discs to bag. I'd hate to give up that extra distance the Roc can gain, especially on the bigger bomber courses

No need to give anything up. One other thing to think about is the wind. I have no illusions about my Star Colt being a wind fighter (it is not). The Stud is better, at least on hyzer approaches, but can also get kicked around. Ergo, the Star Gator is a permanent part of my bag, though it's not often used.

No need to give anything up. One other thing to think about is the wind. I have no illusions about my Star Colt being a wind fighter (it is not). The Stud is better, at least on hyzer approaches, but can also get kicked around. Ergo, the Star Gator is a permanent part of my bag, though it's not often used.
My roc3 is my go to headwind mid, so that's never leaving my bag. I can already tell the Colt is not one to be thrown into headwinds. My Bulldog and Rhyno will take the place of my Colts when facing headwinds on approaches.

I still bag my Roc3 as it is different enough but my star colt has definitely cut into the shots that I used to throw my Roc3 on quite a bit. So much glide that it isn't much shorter (and even longer with a tailwind due to crazy glide) and it holds its line so nicely throughout its flight that I find myself reaching for it more and more.

I am looking for something that feels the same as my Star 172g Mirage but flips easier. I don't like the sharp wing of the dart or aero, and I've had a hard time finding XDs.

Would a DX colt fit the bill? If not what would you guys recommend?

I am looking for something that feels the same as my Star 172g Mirage but flips easier. I don't like the sharp wing of the dart or aero, and I've had a hard time finding XDs.
Would a DX colt fit the bill? If not what would you guys recommend?

The Mirage feels much more shallow than the Colt. And unless I'm misunderstanding you, the Colt is not flippier than the Mirage; in fact, few things are...

Also, I think XDs are out of production.

Latest posts