• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Colt

got a production XT colt today.
I wish they hadn't retooled it
I prefer the rounded nose to the new square one
because... my hand is not square...what's the thinking behind this re-tool? geez Dave

You have it backwards?? Innova factory store says the retool makes it more rounded, less square. The protos are square.

First time here.

Felt a colt today and was very reminiscent of a gateway chief?

Yes, the Chief and DX Colt are quite similar at high speed but I think that the Chief has a bit more low speed fade to it. I'm not quite as consistent driving with the Chief yet so the Colt gets points for ease of mastery.

Yeah. Seems like a good disc in allot of available plastics. I was just making the comparison.

I didn't care for the gstar Colt at all... flippy, glideless turd if you ask me. Traded it for 2 new Chiefs though :)

I picked up a Protostar XT and a Proto DX. I used the XT yesterday as my approach disc for a round and it was a great approach disc. It went exactly where I threw it and it stuck once it hit the ground. It has found a permanent home in my bag. I hope the new mold doesn't change those attributes, or I'm going to have to hunt down some protostar Colts...

I picked up a Protostar XT and a Proto DX. I used the XT yesterday as my approach disc for a round and it was a great approach disc. It went exactly where I threw it and it stuck once it hit the ground. It has found a permanent home in my bag. I hope the new mold doesn't change those attributes, or I'm going to have to hunt down some protostar Colts...

Last I looked The Nati still had a stack of them.

Picked up a DX Prototype Colt from DiscStalker. Took it to the range, where I really liked the straight flight (maybe a slight drifting turn) that simply went to the ground. As it beats in, there's a touch of fade. Good distance, as good as the Roc3 and almost as good as the other mids.

Took it to the course, and the one issue with it came out: the Colt does NOT glide well... the 3,4,-1,1 rating Innova gives it is more glide than it actually has. I'd rate it 3,3,-1,1 at best, maybe even 3,3,0,1. I get good straight throws with the Colt, and even sank one from about 60 feet into the chains, but it's almost a brick and is certainly no more glide-y than my Aviar putters or the Nova. The Judge easily outglides the Colt.

That is not a negative, just an observation. I do like the Colt and am bagging it right now. It has done very well on tightly wooded holes requiring a very straight flight.

And again: it's a prototype model. I am very concerned how the "retooled" production model is going to be. I'm already hearing bad things about the GStar Colt. I guess time will tell.

So you're getting the same distance with a colt as a roc3, but the colt doesn't have more glide? Meaning the colt is that much faster?
I am struggling with the colt because it has too much glide. I would like it to drop like a regular putter but it keeps going. Probably because when other putters are fading out, the colt is falling forward.

So you're getting the same distance with a colt as a roc3, but the colt doesn't have more glide? Meaning the colt is that much faster?
I am struggling with the colt because it has too much glide. I would like it to drop like a regular putter but it keeps going. Probably because when other putters are fading out, the colt is falling forward.

The Roc3 doesn't have all that much glide for me, so it's not the Colt being faster. Maybe the Colt is faster than "3" while my McPro Roc3 is not as fast as the advertised "5". The Roc3 does fade at the end while the Colt does "fade forward" for me also.

I think I expected the Colt, having the VTech technology and the bead, to be somewhat like a slower Wombat (also VTech). The Wombat is a true glider, and the Colt just did not do the same despite having that convex rim and bead. But again, the Colt has no more glide for me than an Aviar (glide 3),and the Classic Blend Judge (a true glide 4) has more glide for me than the Colt.

The Colt's main benefit to me is that it is indeed very straight and goes exactly towards where I throw it. If it doesn't go where one wanted it, it's because one did not throw it where one thought one did.

YMMV on all of the above, but that's my experience with it.

Yeah, sorry, but I agree with cjman. The Colt has a crazy amount of glide compared to most other putters. Much more distance potential than most other putters because of the low profile, high speed stability, and tons of glide. I've been using Colts for putting lately as well as off the tee and for upshots, and my putts have never gone so far so effortlessly as they do with the Colt. I'm still adjusting to it, but now I'm easily hitting 30 footers, but often going long on 20 footers, which was never the case before and it's mostly due to the glide of the Colt. I'm not saying there aren't even more glidey putters and mids out there (never thrown either a Wombat or Classic Blend Judge), but I doubt there are many with more glide that also have as much HSS as the Colt has.

Innova rates glide up to 6. I agree with them on the 4, the Colt doesn't seem super glidey but it's not a brick either like some other putters I throw (Shield, Jokeri, etc.). It's a medium glide disc to me.

so is the colt hype or do most people actually like it?
will it stick in the bag longterm?

It's found a place in my bag both for putting and for upshots/driving. Can't speak for anyone else, and I can't say it will be there forever (no disc in my bag is truly safe if something comes along that works better for me). But for now, it's got the honors and it won them fairly; I didn't actually WANT a replacement for my putting or driving putters when I bought a couple Colts to try out for fun. They got the position on merit for sure.

Generally speaking, a discs post count seems corrected to a discs actual popularity among those in the forum. Given the age of this dosc, it seems legit.

Much more so than the hawg, rumored by a team player to be low on Innovas priority list to be re run.

I never understood the need for the Hawg. Innova already has the Rhyno and the Pig for super beefy driving putters and both are great molds for what they are. What's the Hawg gonna do that those don't?

I guess some will say the Classic Roc or XD do the same thing as the Colt, but for whatever reason the Colt has found a pretty large following pretty fast. I haven't used either the CR or XD extensively, so I can't compare, but I have liked XT plastic in just about every mold I've tried it in and I'm not a huge DX fan, so that alone gives the Colt and edge in my book.

Yeah, sorry, but I agree with cjman. The Colt has a crazy amount of glide compared to most other putters. Much more distance potential than most other putters because of the low profile, high speed stability, and tons of glide. I've been using Colts for putting lately as well as off the tee and for upshots, and my putts have never gone so far so effortlessly as they do with the Colt. I'm still adjusting to it, but now I'm easily hitting 30 footers, but often going long on 20 footers, which was never the case before and it's mostly due to the glide of the Colt. I'm not saying there aren't even more glidey putters and mids out there (never thrown either a Wombat or Classic Blend Judge), but I doubt there are many with more glide that also have as much HSS as the Colt has.

No need to apologize; we may be talking at cross-purposes, or may be getting different results. I definitely agree about the HSS of the Colt. It goes straight and flat.

For me, "glide" is more the floaty thing a disc does. Foxbats and Wombats (midrangers) have high glide. The River and Fury are high glide discs, even when not thrown at full power. The Colt isn't rated as high-glide as them, but it does not mimic them, either... my Colt goes fast and straight with the power my noodle arm gets into it, then comes to a landing. So maybe I"m not using the term right

I don't use my Colt for inside-the-circle putting. I have thrown some shots from about 30 feet after throwing my Classic Blend Judge, just to make a comparison. On those shots, my Colt acts more like a straighter-line Aviar... goes straight but starts falling. The Judge just "floats" along to the chains for me (not really floats, as I do actually have to throw it at the chains, but I hope y'all get the idea).

To me, the Colt is something like a 3-speed Valkyrie. My Star Valk is flat topped and flies fast and straight out of my hand, and likes to be thrown flat, hard and straight. The Colt is similar, though as a putter/mid disc I don't have to give it speed-9 throwing power. But the analogy is both fly fast out of the hand and straight, whereas a Wombat rides the currents, so to speak.

BTW, today I was behind a tree from 50 feet out, couldn't throw an anny shot, so I forehand flicked the Colt. Just flicked the wrist to get that spin, almost no arm movement. The Colt flew straight and fast right at the basket and just nicked chastity belt but didn't go in. It was dropping as it went along, but got to the basket. That may be what you're calling "glide" and I'm calling speed stability.

"A rose by any other name"... and it's all relative...

so is the colt hype or do most people actually like it?
will it stick in the bag longterm?

My DX Colt is a prototype, so I cannot say what the production models are going to be like. I am hearing some pretty negative stuff about the GStar Colt, which is the re-tooled production run, but cannot speak to that from personal experience. YMMV, and others who have experience with GStar Colts are urged to share those experiences.

Having said that, I really do like the Prototype DX Colt. I threw it on the wooded, tight technical holes of Central Park in Cumming, GA, and it went dead straight right down the narrow fairway path. Cannot ask for more, except for a speed 7 disc that mimics that stable, straight flight. :) I am going to give The Colt the tougher test of holes 15-17 at Suwanee Creek Park soon.

As to making the bag... it might be a "horses for courses" disc, pun not intended. Between my Lucid Judge, the Colt, the Pink Panther and the Foxbat for valet parking approaches, it's a real toss-up right now for me. The Foxbat has very high glide, which I like, and I'm very familiar with the variety of shots I can throw with it. The Pink Panther has more fade when thrown flat. The Lucid Judge and Colt are neck-and-neck. The Colt throws flat and straight, even if the operator headspace and timing is not at peak. The Judge glides more, but doesn't tolerate errors as much. It might be several more practice rounds before I decide.

No need to apologize; we may be talking at cross-purposes, or may be getting different results. I definitely agree about the HSS of the Colt. It goes straight and flat.

For me, "glide" is more the floaty thing a disc does. Foxbats and Wombats (midrangers) have high glide. The River and Fury are high glide discs, even when not thrown at full power. The Colt isn't rated as high-glide as them, but it does not mimic them, either... my Colt goes fast and straight with the power my noodle arm gets into it, then comes to a landing. So maybe I"m not using the term right

I don't use my Colt for inside-the-circle putting. I have thrown some shots from about 30 feet after throwing my Classic Blend Judge, just to make a comparison. On those shots, my Colt acts more like a straighter-line Aviar... goes straight but starts falling. The Judge just "floats" along to the chains for me (not really floats, as I do actually have to throw it at the chains, but I hope y'all get the idea).

To me, the Colt is something like a 3-speed Valkyrie. My Star Valk is flat topped and flies fast and straight out of my hand, and likes to be thrown flat, hard and straight. The Colt is similar, though as a putter/mid disc I don't have to give it speed-9 throwing power. But the analogy is both fly fast out of the hand and straight, whereas a Wombat rides the currents, so to speak.

BTW, today I was behind a tree from 50 feet out, couldn't throw an anny shot, so I forehand flicked the Colt. Just flicked the wrist to get that spin, almost no arm movement. The Colt flew straight and fast right at the basket and just nicked chastity belt but didn't go in. It was dropping as it went along, but got to the basket. That may be what you're calling "glide" and I'm calling speed stability.

"A rose by any other name"... and it's all relative...

For putting I imagine it may depend on your putting style. Do you spin putt? I would guess that the floaty thing you're talking about may be more exaggerated with a spin putt style rather than a push putt, but I could be wrong. Maybe it's just that I've never tried a Classic Blend Judge.

In terms of driving, how much glide you see out of the Colt may depend on your power level and what type of line you're throwing it on. On Sunday I out-drove a 290 foot hole with my Colt on a dead-straight line, which rarely happens to me with a putter. Usually I would play that type of shot with a mid like an XT Roc or Roc3, but the Colt does dead straight shots so beautifully, so I'm using it more for those. I find that at the 250+ foot power level, the Colt glides really nicely, which gives it extra distance for how hard I'm throwing it that a lot of my mids don't get. Then again, I don't throw very understable mids like the Foxbat or Wombat and understable discs tend to have more glide as well. However, with a more understable mid, I'd probably have to give it a lot of hyzer for that distance and I don't think I'd get the lazer-straight flight I get from the Colt. YMMV of course, but we're probably just talking differences in power level, shot type, and desired HSS.

For putting I imagine it may depend on your putting style. Do you spin putt? I would guess that the floaty thing you're talking about may be more exaggerated with a spin putt style rather than a push putt, but I could be wrong. Maybe it's just that I've never tried a Classic Blend Judge.

In terms of driving, how much glide you see out of the Colt may depend on your power level and what type of line you're throwing it on. On Sunday I out-drove a 290 foot hole with my Colt on a dead-straight line, which rarely happens to me with a putter. Usually I would play that type of shot with a mid like an XT Roc or Roc3, but the Colt does dead straight shots so beautifully, so I'm using it more for those. I find that at the 250+ foot power level, the Colt glides really nicely, which gives it extra distance for how hard I'm throwing it that a lot of my mids don't get. Then again, I don't throw very understable mids like the Foxbat or Wombat and understable discs tend to have more glide as well. However, with a more understable mid, I'd probably have to give it a lot of hyzer for that distance and I don't think I'd get the lazer-straight flight I get from the Colt. YMMV of course, but we're probably just talking differences in power level, shot type, and desired HSS.

Agreed that lots of factors are involved, including possibly different putting strokes. Inside about 35 feet, I have a "putting stroke" might be best called a hybrid push/spin putt. Outside that range I'm using a basic RHBH throw with the emphasis on getting a good spin on the disc, powering down for closer shots (one reason I like high glide, maybe?)

I don't throw as far as you; I think I got the Colt out to around 190-200 feet at the range, throwing hard and flat and not really caring about accuracy. My Foxbat gets that with less power put into it. The Foxbat indeed is more understable and drifts right more, as well. But on those tight tunnels... nothing is beating the flat, straight flight of the Colt.

(As an aside: how flat and straight does a VRoc go?)

At any rate, we agree the Colt is a very good disc.