• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Colt

I bought one production run XT Colt and one First Run XT Colt couple weeks ago. They have different rims. I then ordered another production run XT Colt, but I got proto run Colt instead. This has same rim as in First Run Colt but it has antidome whereas the First Run version has bit of a dome. So now I have three different kind of Colts...

Please let us know how these different discs fly for you. Always good to get some comparison data...

I finally felt some production colts. It's funny that innova calls it a retool because they don't even look or feel like the same disc. I'm going back to Pures.

Yes, they definitely feel different. I'm still using the production Colt, but for shorter and shorter shots, while going (back) to the Pink Panther more and more for longer approach shots.

In fairness, it's been really windy (if not rainy) on my home course, but the production Colt is definitely more understable than protos. We'll see how it does as it beats in...

Tested bit more my First run (proto mold) XT Colt and prodcution run XT Colt. I have thrown maybe few hundred shots with PR whereas I have only thrown FR just 50 or so times, so FR version is bit less beat up. There isn't any considerable marks on PR version either though.

With my noodle arm (maxing around 90-100 meters), the slighly beat PR Colt flips flat easily from slight hyzer and goes about 70-75 meters or so with very minimal fade. Released flat, it turns gently to right and won't come back, but doesn't turn and burn either. The FR Colt keeps the initial hyzer or maybe flattens out a bit, but still fades at the end even on lower lines.

Have to test bit more, and also have to add proto stamped antidome XT Colt to the mix next time, but I am bit disappointed that the production run became so understable so fast. I don't really care what happens to proto versions, I'm not going to base my bag on already OOP molds. I like the feeling of production run on the hand more though, but I guess I need to find more stable companion to Colt.

Tested bit more my First run (proto mold) XT Colt and prodcution run XT Colt. I have thrown maybe few hundred shots with PR whereas I have only thrown FR just 50 or so times, so FR version is bit less beat up. There isn't any considerable marks on PR version either though.

With my noodle arm (maxing around 90-100 meters), the slighly beat PR Colt flips flat easily from slight hyzer and goes about 70-75 meters or so with very minimal fade. Released flat, it turns gently to right and won't come back, but doesn't turn and burn either. The FR Colt keeps the initial hyzer or maybe flattens out a bit, but still fades at the end even on lower lines.

Have to test bit more, and also have to add proto stamped antidome XT Colt to the mix next time, but I am bit disappointed that the production run became so understable so fast. I don't really care what happens to proto versions, I'm not going to base my bag on already OOP molds. I like the feeling of production run on the hand more though, but I guess I need to find more stable companion to Colt.

Thanks for this info. I'm hoping the Champion plastic in a production mold Colt of that plastic will offset the understability to give us a nice straight flyer again. I'm pipe-dreaming of a firm Star plastic proto-mold Colt, but not holding my breath....

Just in case no one has heard yet, are you looking for an old star stiff version with greater stability than the production run? Because we weren't sure...

If they produced GStar Colts that were stable like the proto XT's then I'd be interested in one as a driving/approach disc (even though I don't love GStar plastic), but those who have used them say they're more understable like the production run Colts, which I am not interested in. I think Colts are much more likely to be a bit more stable in champion plastic than in GStar so hopefully they produce some of those (and they aren't super domey).

Sadly, the half dozen XT proto Colts I have been cycling through in my bag have all lost some stability to the point that I can't trust them to go straight at power anymore and they're even drifting a bit right on longer putts. I still like them for turnovers I need to finish right or for very long putts where I need a bit more turn/glide, but I think the Colt's days in my bag are limited. I'd still consider a champ/star for driving and approaching in the future, but sadly I think Innova ruined this disc for me by retooling the XT's. Now, instead of buying a small stack of Colts every year and cycling them, I'm just looking for a different disc. :\

If they produced GStar Colts that were stable like the proto XT's then I'd be interested in one as a driving/approach disc (even though I don't love GStar plastic), but those who have used them say they're more understable like the production run Colts, which I am not interested in. I think Colts are much more likely to be a bit more stable in champion plastic than in GStar so hopefully they produce some of those (and they aren't super domey).

Sadly, the half dozen XT proto Colts I have been cycling through in my bag have all lost some stability to the point that I can't trust them to go straight at power anymore and they're even drifting a bit right on longer putts. I still like them for turnovers I need to finish right or for very long putts where I need a bit more turn/glide, but I think the Colt's days in my bag are limited. I'd still consider a champ/star for driving and approaching in the future, but sadly I think Innova ruined this disc for me by retooling the XT's. Now, instead of buying a small stack of Colts every year and cycling them, I'm just looking for a different disc. :\

This was the problem I had with the Colt after more use, and I took it out of the bag. Thought about cycling in a fresh one but haven't decided yet.

As for the production vs. proto, I still think the difference was negligible at best. I threw an Innova Store run GStar and it would flip to flat from a small hyzer just like the XT did for me. And it felt only a smidge different in the hand. I think it's close enough to where you can psyche yourself out about the difference and be able to throw either, but I know it's tough to do that.

Update: took my four DX Colts to the range. Three are proto, one production run. One is a backup and has not been thrown hardly at all, two protos are the ones I cycle and are getting beat in, and the production disc has been thrown for "Throw Pink" month. There are a couple of trees, one at 100 feet exactly, one at just over 140 feet, as measured by a rangefinder.

The production run is definitely much more understable than the protos. On full power throws the "new" disc was the straightest, the other protos had a bit of turn ("drift", I call it). But at full power the production disc turned hard and crashed to the ground. I probably could've made it into a roller if I'd tried. I did try hyzer flipping all the discs, and the protos went straight while the production run still did not like power and turned over and found the ground rather quickly.

On throws for accuracy, all discs parked at the 100 ft. tree. The protos found the 150 ft. tree very nicely, but the production disc would come out of my hand more to the right, and would stay right. I did try some hyzer throws with the production disc at the 150 ft. tree around the 100 ft. tree, and it did very well holding the hyzer line and parking.

After this range exercise, it's pretty official for me: the production DX Colt is more understable than the proto DX Colts, and by a good bit.

I tried out the USDGC G* Colt
its gummier than the proto factory store run
flies and feels the same otherwise
gonna see if it beats into the sweet spot where my beat DXs are and stays there instead of getting too mangled after a while like the DX will

What stamp does the production DX colt have? Is it still the gun?

Exactly the same... except the protos have a little symbol and says "prototype", which the production runs don't have.

Side note: I was in the Artillery in the Army. The picture on the disc is of a revolver. A "gun" to me is something much bigger that makes a lot more noise and does a lot more damage....

I wanted to like the colt. But i don't..........................a nice Jolly Champ one would be a diff story tho. Flat top, non of this buble bizniss

Exactly the same... except the protos have a little symbol and says "prototype", which the production runs don't have.

Side note: I was in the Artillery in the Army. The picture on the disc is of a revolver. A "gun" to me is something much bigger that makes a lot more noise and does a lot more damage....

No "this one's for fun" rhyme? :D

I did find a nice use for the production run DX Colt, which I found to be more understable than the protos. My home course has two holes that are dogleg right; one uphill about 240 ft., one downhill about 220 ft (both in the woods). I throw the Colt flat and with a hard snap, and it turns over very nicely on both holes, giving me birdie looks.

Thrown at 60% power, this disc remains a good approach/upshot disc. It might drift right a bit (RHBH), but generally goes straight with little turn or fade, and comes to a smooth, soft landing.

Latest posts