• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Colt

There is no way innova can look at or throw the new Colt and honestly say its an improvement.
The new Colt is very whale like.

Respectfully disagree about the Colt being "Whale like".

But I guess no one is taking the Star Colt into account?

I always thought the Whale and Colt were very similar. Colt being a skinnier Whale, but I've never thrown a Whale.

My Colt is now more understable than I thought it would ever be. On this one shot open hole at a local short course, I have to start it left of the basket even at under 200' power. Zero fade. I mean, zero. I should have picked up an XT when I saw one recently.

Respectfully disagree about the Colt being "Whale like".

But I guess no one is taking the Star Colt into account?

Their profiles are very similar. I've got a pink star colt that I threw a couple times and it made me sad.

I've got a pink star colt that I threw a couple times and it made me sad.

Sorry to hear that. My three Star Colts are a lot like the Proto-DX Colts. They fly very straight for me like the proto-DXs.

Maybe a Champion (or better yet, a Metal Flake) Colt will restore the faith of those who had bad experiences with the production-DX, production-XT and errant Star Colts.... (hint hint to Innova)

Every star Colt I've held has felt like an absolute turd in the hand, it sounds like you've either hit the Colt jackpot or you're just forcing yourself to believe it's the same disc. I'm not bagging one right now, but I've got a little stockpile of DX protos squirreled away in case I go back and find myself left with production runs as my only option.

Every star Colt I've held has felt like an absolute turd in the hand, it sounds like you've either hit the Colt jackpot or you're just forcing yourself to believe it's the same disc. I'm not bagging one right now, but I've got a little stockpile of DX protos squirreled away in case I go back and find myself left with production runs as my only option.

Well, I could be facetious and say that I'm not in the habit of feeling turds in my hands, so I can't make that comparison. *ducking* :p

Seriously, I'm not trying to force myself nor anyone else to believe anything. The Star Colt works for me, and works well. Feels just fine, throws nice and laser straight on approach shots. I don't putt with it inside the circle (I do prefer baseline plastic for in-the-circle putting) so that's not an issue for me.

I really don't know what the debate is. The star colt is clearly the retooled mold. Whether or not you like how it flies, the star colt has a higher shoulder and thicker domed flight plate. I agree it flies close to the proto stability, but it doesn't feel the same.

I really don't know what the debate is. The star colt is clearly the retooled mold. Whether or not you like how it flies, the star colt has a higher shoulder and thicker domed flight plate. I agree it flies close to the proto stability, but it doesn't feel the same.

For the sake of clarity, here is my $0.02 on all this.

The Star Colt is the production mold, not the proto mold.
The Star Colt feels more like the proto-DX than the production-DX feels like the proto-DX... TO ME. YMMV.
The production DX flies more understable than the proto-DX. A *lot* more understable.
The Star Colt (TO ME, YMMV) flies more like the proto-DX than the production-DX flies like the proto-DX.

IMHO, the Star Colt does not feel bad in my hands. Does it feel exactly like the proto-DX? No, not exactly. But it (Star Colt) feels okay, and much more importantly, it flies well for me. I would probably not use the production Colts in DX, but I *am* using the Star Colts.

Hope that clarifies my own experiences, thoughts, feelings, and suppositions. :thmbup:

So felt up a few proto colts and a production colt in the store today, and the feel of the production colt is what kept me from wanting to bag the colts, don't want to fall in love with a disc I can't find when I already like my chief.

I thought I remember reading somewhere there is a way to get colts molded up in the proto mold still. Am I wrong?

Anybody need some proto colts?

The XT colts I found today felt very similar to my proxy/envy. All were grippy with flat top and identical PLH. Is there a general consensus with this run of the disc?

Just got an XT. Not nearly as understable as my DX.

Oh, and SD86, the colt and the Whale are almost the same discs. Only different is height. Shape/profile etc are identical.

Just got an XT. Not nearly as understable as my DX.

Oh, and SD86, the colt and the Whale are almost the same discs. Only different is height. Shape/profile etc are identical.

I was looking at some Whales the other day. IMHO, they're not the same as the Colt. As you said, the Whale rim is much deeper (it's a putter, so no surprise, but still...), and that makes ALL the difference in the world to me. I just didn't get a Colt "feel" out of the Whale. That's just me, YMMV on that.

So how does the Whale fly for you?

Side note: IMHO the Star VCobra flies like a longer Colt. Not an exact same feel, but the shallow rims and VTech bead are a more similar feel than deeper putters would be. I'm bagging the VCobra as well as the Colt now.

I didn't throw it. I just stuck it up to my Colt so see the exact same disc, only taller. :lol:

Ah, okay. At any rate, I doubt I'll ever find out. I've got more than enough putters, and just can't make myself pull the trigger and buy a Whale. Also, I don't like XT plastic (that's just me, I'm sure some love it but I just don't) so no Whales, Colts, or anything else in that plastic fur mich....

This is my first ever XT disc. If I liked to putt with firm putters, I'd be using one in XT. The grippiest plastic I've ever encountered. Some baseline is actually slick. Soft XT would be my dream putting putter plastic.

This is my first ever XT disc. If I liked to putt with firm putters, I'd be using one in XT. The grippiest plastic I've ever encountered. Some baseline is actually slick. Soft XT would be my dream putting putter plastic.

You might like a Classic Soft or Classic Blend Judge or Warden, then, as a "soft XT"-ish plastic...

Got lots of those. Love them.

Me, too. After getting a Zero hard Pure, I decided to try a Classic (hard) Warden. Took it on its first round today, and I really like it. The harder plastic is like a McPro Aviar in stiffness, but it's not nearly as slick as McPro. I'll keep using the Classic Blend in the winter, but will get more Classic Wardens over time...

The colt for me is what the nova is for McBeth, well as close as it can be for me. I have several Novas, and never got the feel for them, for a throwing putter they're pretty deep for my hands. For shorter drives, and upshots that I want to go straight and land flat and not roll away, the colt is what I reach for.