• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Cubic Zirconia Club

So we're gonna write the "Hymn of the Cubic Zirconia Club" are we?
I mean I just quoted Cake's "Comfort Eagle" but I'm happy to let that be our theme. Or an inspired rewrite.

If we're forming a band, I can contribute mediocre keyboard playing. Or mediocre trombone playing if we want to get really wild.

WE ARE BUILDING A RELIGION

I've got keys. Or I'll fake fiddle if we're going a more country route.

Funny story about Cake, saw them back in June. Dude was going on about how music was a better way to be entertained than paying "semi-fascist beer companies"…with an open IPA in his hand…on stage…with a massive amount of empty beer cans littered around the lawn. Didn't get much applause for that statement.

I mean, you guys need to post a link to it. Rookies. ;)

And if you need a guy to play that weird springy thing the lead singer in Cake plays I can probably do that lol.

So I know I've seen this discussed a bit in some of the Trusted Reviewer threads, but I'm curious if anyone has input/advice/thoughts. It seems like if you are already a trusted reviewer/someone with more visibility, you get a lot more thumbs up just based on reputation and/or visibility. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, that's kind of the point of the system to some degree.

What I am wondering is if anyone has recommendations to increase the exposure of your reviews at all. I've been working towards trusted reviewer status pretty hard for the last 2 years, but with 2-3 thumbs up per review, it doesn't move fast. I'm at 96 now, so I'm close, but it's a slow climb.

I don't feel like it's really a problem with my reviews (I have 96 up vs. 4 down), though of course I could be wrong. Sometimes it seems like I write reviews just as detailed, objective, and valuable as other people but they'll get 8-10 thumbs to my 2-3 (again, I think largely due to visibility). For the last 2 years I think I've been writing pretty strong reviews.

Anyways... just curious what people think. In general, it seems like a lot of people don't bother thumbing reviews at all, which is probably part of it.
In honor of reaching 2K Cubic Zirconia today, I decided to dig out my "help, I can't seem to get any thumbs up" post from not that long ago in 2018. At this point, I had less than 100 thumbs and was averaging 2-3 per review. Today I have 2000 and it's rare I get less than 10 on a review. Just 2 years ago or less I was at 350. I suppose playing 74 new courses so far this year does help. :)

Thanks to everyone for the thumbs, and our awesome Cubic Zirconia community. This thread and 2023 Reviewer of the Year have been great incentives this year.

Curious as to how close I am to making the elusive Secret Club, LOL

10 unique votes, if you're talking about Diamond.

If you're talking about something else... well, let's just say you probably shouldn't be talking about it.

Latest posts