• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] The Cyclone

There is no reason for anyone to try a Z Cyclone. The Cyclone is an old, pre-premium mold that did not translate to Z very well. The Z Cyclone is an overstable, glideless hunk of crap that doesn't hold a line into the wind. Who needs an overstable disc that is no good into the wind?

That being said, the ESP Cyclone is a great disc for me because I can use it on a variety of lines and still get it out there noticeably further than my mids. It also works better on a low line and on uphill shots than my mids. At my power level (I max out around 300', but I'm more consistently around 270') I lose a lot of control moving up to the faster XL or Eagle. I can see how both of these discs are similar, but I can't hit the lines with them as well as a Cyclone. I do gain some distance with the XL and Eagle, but not enough to justify the loss of control.

Really, the Cyclone is the fastest disc I use. I use a Banshee for trick shots and I carry an Inferno just to shut people up when the go on a "you need a driver" tirade, but at my power I really don't get much more distance out of faster discs than I already get from the Cyclone. Maybe 10' or 15' on a good day. Since I don't have the distance to hang with the big boys, I have to work the course and be in the right spots for my second shot to score well. The Cyclone gives me the control I need to do that. It's probably not as much fun as grabbing a Boss and trying to heave it as far as you can, but it looks better on my scorecard.

Last edited:
I've got an interesting cyclone story. I found a beat-to-hell cyclone on the course one day, no name or number that I could see, it looked like a dog disc without the teeth marks. The underside of the flight plate was solid black sharpie. So, It made it into the back of the closet for a while.

On a recent trip to the in-laws house, they live up on a ridge and have about 12 acres of natural land mostly covered in cedars/oaks, I bring a bunch of discs for folks to throw around. We make up a par 3 and have fun, etc. I had a couple/few discs that I reserved to launch off into the sunset from the top of the ridge, this cyclone being one.

So, I'm putting on a show for some of my family and friends who were out there messing around. Making some ok drives. I get to this beat to hell cyclone. I uncork one of the biggest drives that I have ever thrown. Beautiful slight anny line, incredibly tight snap, followed by a huge drawn out S-turn. I was standing there in awe watching it fly. Then I kicked myself in the ass for throwing it into oblivion. I went down the next morning to scour the area where I thought it might have landed but not a trace.

I still wish I would have field tested that ugly thing. I might have replaced my driver with it if I could continue throwing it the way I threw it that evening.

That is my only throw and only experience with a Cyclone.

thats a good story.

I don't know about the ESP Cyclone, but I love my X Cyclone. It's just a pure, straight-flying disc. It won't blow you away, but it will definitely make you smile on those 250-300' holes. If the Cyclone is slowly going extinct, I'd better go stock up on them. :(

The X-clone is probably the disc that changes the most with wear more than any disc I've seen. When new, they're close to a Viper, when beat they're flippier than a Cheetah. Great for forehand flicks, flyers when they're new, rollers later on.:)

I don't know about the ESP Cyclone, but I love my X Cyclone. It's just a pure, straight-flying disc. It won't blow you away, but it will definitely make you smile on those 250-300' holes. If the Cyclone is slowly going extinct, I'd better go stock up on them. :(

The X-clone is probably the disc that changes the most with wear more than any disc I've seen. When new, they're close to a Viper, when beat they're flippier than a Cheetah. Great for forehand flicks, flyers when they're new, rollers later on.:)
Just to be clear, the X Cyclone is the Cyclone in X plastic. The X-Clone is a different disc. It's based on the Cyclone, but the wing flattens at the ends. Because the wing is so thin at the ends it is very fragile, but from the time in came out in '95ish until the Banshee came out in '98 it was the undisputed best disc for forehands. It has been out of production for since '04ish since the onslaught of new-longer-faster discs made it fairly obsolete.

Gazelles are my go-to disc right now, three stages of DX wear in the bag and a KC pro that I only trot out when I'm absolutely sure it won't be lost. When I need to put a disc *right there* instead of zipping a Teebird out a little farther, when a Roc feels too fat and slow, gazelle.

Cyclones should be able to do roughly the same, I may pick up an ESP and use that with abandon when I'd be afraid to toss the KC Pro.

Just ordered 6 the other day and I assume they will see a lot of action in Rock Hill next week and hopefully will stay inside the ropes.;)

How did those Cyclones work for you, Scooter?

They didn't get here on time but I threw my XL very well all week (unfortunately that was the only disc I threw well) but didn't putt good and finished far below what I wanted.

Since getting the Cyclones though I am throwing the crap out of them and loving the beautiful flight and variety of shots it can be used for.

Cyclones rock! They may need a bit of height to get out there but on a good pull I can get them as far as my distance drivers. On most holes, I have the option of throwing a Cyclone 60%, or an OLF 90%. The Cyclone is just a higher percentage shot unless I need a low ceiling or hard fade. They glide for days and wear really well. I've got an ESP, 2 X's, and a thrashed D in the bag, all very useful discs.

I can throw Destroyers further, but have no clue where they are going. Given a 375' hole, would you rather be pin high, 60' to the left/right, or 340' in line with your target?

As someone that loves Gazelles, Leopards, TeeBirds, and all things fairway, I have been told I should try a Cyclone.

Sounds like ESP is the way to go. Everyone concur?

Sounds like ESP is the way to go. Everyone concur?
The way to go is to troll ebay and get some tasty Tournament Pro Cyclones. No finer Cyclones have ever been made.

But if you want to stay away from OOP discs, ESP is a good way to go. Combine them with some D Cyclones at first, the D's beat in quicker and are easier for turnovers until you can thrash some ESP's. Avoid flat Cyclones no matter what the plastic. Domey Cyclones are the only Cyclones.

For a so called unknown disc the Cyclone sure is getting alot of run. I will only say that since I have been throwing ESP Cyclones, I almost never throw my TeeBirds. Considering that I still believe the TeeBird to be one of if not the greatest fairway driver ever says volumes of what I think of the ESP Cyclone. Anyone who doesnt give this disc a chance because "it cant keep up' or because "its an old mold" are being flat out ignorant to a trully great disc.

Latest posts