• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The definition of bagger?

I thought there was only a max rating to play in amateur divisions. I don't think it specifies when you have to switch from intermediate to advanced.

Uh, Intermediate and Advanced ARE amateur divisions. The top two amateur divisions, as a matter of fact. 935 is the cap on Intermediate...anyone with a rating over that number is supposed to be in Advanced.

There are two lone exceptions to that...if there is a season series that allows players to stay in the same division from beginning to end (and these have to be pre-approved by the PDGA), and if the player was already signed up for the tournament and the ratings update that put them over the limit was within two weeks of the tournament date (which would cover last weekend and this coming weekend).

this isn't directly toward you, but a just a general statement for anyone playing tournament, but if you're checking ratings and worried about someone rated high in your division. you're already setting yourself up for failure, because it doesn't matter. just play yourself and however the cards fall in the end is how they fall.

I can see the logic in this sound advice.

This is also my theory. The player in question has been over the limit for Intermediate for about two years now.

....and the TD of this event has a history of making lots of mistakes on the roster. I can spot at least 4 errors right away. People who I know, that don't match their PDGA# and rating.

Last edited:
picture.php

If it's your first sanctioned tourney, you are not a bagger, no matter what you do.

If you play PDGA tourneys at a higher level than you play unsanctioned events, you are a bagger. (i.e. rating is 940 and you play INT at non sanctioned events)

If you play your rating in a PDGA sanctioned event, you are not a bagger, no matter what.

Bagger really only comes in to play in non sanctioned events (in my opinion). There aren't ratings to force divisions, so people can play down to win prizes.

Go out, have fun, play where you really think you should, and your resulting rating will help place you next time!

1. sandbagger
A person who pads a handicap or acts as if he/she is at a lower skill level than he/she actually is so he/she can achieve better during competition that's handicapped or by skill level.
That sandbagger said his handicap was 20 strokes and he shot 10 over during the outing to win.
mark as favorite buy sandbagger mugs & shirts
sandbag cheater padder sanbag sanbagger
by Justin1217 August 28, 2006 add a video
361 up, 83 down
Random Word
2. Sandbagger
In grappling competitions, a sandbagger is known as somebody who fights down his/her normal skill level in order to get easy wins.

For example: A grappler who has an intermediate skill level (2-4 years experience) will decide to drop down to fight in the novice or beginners divisions in order to sweep everyone out of the division and win the gold.
Wrestlers are usually the ones that sandbag, but other grapplers do it as well.

Regardless though, sandbaggers are pussies and should be beat for their bad deeds. :p
sandbagger pussies wrestlers grapplers grappling bjj mma
by Striker122 March 01, 2010 add a video
63 up, 26 down

3. sandbagger
In paintball a person or team of a higher level plays as a lower level team to win. Such as an Amature team playing a novice event.
"You ****ing sandbagging pussys cant win any amature events so you have to play with us."
by Andrew Orde February 12, 2005 add a video
113 up, 83 down
4. sand bagger
1.) Someone who plays below there actual potential.

2.) Someone with giant testicles, and/or giant saggy breasts.
Man that guys good, hes gotta be a sand bagger.
mark as favorite buy sand bagger mugs & shirts
by HOLYCRAP March 17, 2005 add a video
50 up, 27 down
5. sandbagger
A person whom consistently pretends to be able to do less work than she can so as not to have to work as hard.
Kristin and Lizzie, you both know you can bench more than that! Quit being a ****ing sandbagger!
slacker cheater lazy wannabe underachiever
by baldnbeautiful February 20, 2010 add a video
41 up, 35 down
6. sand bagger
a person male/female who is a pool player(biliars player) who does not play at the skill level he or she is realy at.
Damn, that guy is a ****ing sand bagger
by Medved July 28, 2003 add a video
21 up, 18 down

7. Sand Bagger
A Bowler who bowls under their actual average to keep their league handicap high. Then when their team needs to win a game and/or series they bowl their actual average to increase their chances of winning.
Tom's actual average is 200 but during league play he bowls and averages 150. If the handicap for his league is to 200 and he averaged 200 he would have a "0" handicap. By averaging 150 he gets a 50 pin handicap. His handicap is based of the 150 average. So when his team needs more pins he bowls his actual average of 200 (or more)giving him and his team 50 extra pins (or more) making Tom a Sand bagger.
sand bagger cheater cheating low life lame
by moorebounce September 18, 2008 add a video
7 up, 5 down

My opinion of a "bagger" is someone without a PDGA number who has played many tournaments in a division he/she THINKS they belong in, when in all reality they need to move up. :\

I am hoping to enter my first tournament this weekend. I'm crossing my fingers, but what I really need is folding money. QUOTE]

The only division you're going to get "folding money" in are Pro divisions. At that point Bagging is a moot point as you're in the top division for the sport.

surprised no one else saw that or maybe I'm just being nitpicky. ;-)

I am hoping to enter my first tournament this weekend. I'm crossing my fingers, but what I really need is folding money.

The only division you're going to get "folding money" in are Pro divisions. At that point Bagging is a moot point as you're in the top division for the sport.

I took that to mean he wants to enter the tournament, but money is an issue and he may not be able to enter. Not that he's looking to take home cash from the tournament by playing Intermediate.

I am hoping to enter my first tournament this weekend. I'm crossing my fingers, but what I really need is folding money. QUOTE]

I took that to mean he wants to enter the tournament, but money is an issue and he may not be able to enter. Not that he's looking to take home cash from the tournament by playing Intermediate.

Hmmm ... I didn't read it that way but I guess that could have been the way he meant it ... dang ole interweb text with no non-verbal cues and facial expressions ;-)

I played a C tier a few months back. The guy that won int would have also won advanced. Would have pissed me off, but I was playing pretty ****ty so he didn't affect me.

Just because an Intermediate player outplayed some Advanced players doesn't automatically make it something sinister. Generally speaking, we are only talking about a couple of strokes per round difference between the two in most/some cases. If you have some 950 and 960 rated players in Advanced and some 930 players in Intermediate their scores should be similar. Every so often it is possible for the Adv to have an off day and the Int player to have a hot day.

I dont think it is possible to simply look at who won and their score and come to the conclusion it must be "bagging". You really need to dig down to find all the factors that could have led to the outcome.

I thought there was only a max rating to play in amateur divisions. I don't think it specifies when you have to switch from intermediate to advanced.

Nope. See the links in scarp's & MTL's posts

It's a weird area. All the best non-pros seem to be in Masters divisions anyway. The regular intermediate/advanced is a very wide range of skill levels.

Hey, hey, hey! Stop ragging on old guys. It's a battle everyday just to have enough energy to play in a tournament!;)

this isn't directly toward you, but a just a general statement for anyone playing tournament, but if you're checking ratings and worried about someone rated high in your division. you're already setting yourself up for failure, because it doesn't matter. just play yourself and however the cards fall in the end is how they fall.

To the OP, here's a general thought. If you start in your first tournaments with this in mind you'll have more fun … and likely you'll perform better anyway. NEVER go in at first with the thought you are "playing to win" (per se) because that implies you're playing against the other player(s). In its purest form dg is about you versus the course. Ratings and things of the like can help you establish goals etc, but they are not the be all end all. (slightly off topic but slightly relevant. I know you didn't ask for advice, but I thought I'd share)

Though I am a GM, I still think my rating and potential is on the way up because I just started playing 7 or so years ago. I try to go into every tournament with a ratings goal.. based upon my ability (avg rating over time helps with that) coupled with the type of course, how it fits with my style of play, and the weather. For example, My current rating is 929 hopefully up 3 or 4 more points at next update. This year I have actually posted 3 rounds of 980 or better all and more than 10 above my rating since May. I now set a goal with each tournament. The last tournament I was in had one course that favored my style and two that didn't. The weather was slightly windy but not too much that would affect us except in the open holes (on the two courses that did not favor my style). I told myself that the goal for the tourney was to average 950, have one round above 960, and all rounds above my rating. If I hit my goals then whether I finish in first place, in the middle of the pack, or in last place, I feel good about myself & my play. And that despite what strokes I may have left out there. That's what dg is supposed to feel like -- fun, yet still challenging and about me working to get better. I shot 909-982-935. So I hit two goals but not all three. Obviously I was disappointed in round one, happy with round two, and "just OK" with round three. But all-in-all, that's how I approach tourneys … and that attitude helps me stay focused and try to stay away from trying to do what other guys do or worrying about their score compared to mine. Good luck.

Winner. I have no allusions of winning anything much less cash, and especially not folding cash(i.e: extra cash, if there is such a thing).

Thanks again for all the feedback. I hope I can put it to use, and by that I mean enter the tournament.

Not to Hijack the thread... but I am a lower level Rec player. Recently my official rating dropped low enough to play Novice. Would you consider me Sand Bagging if I played Novice as long as my rating allowed it?

Not to Hijack the thread... but I am a lower level Rec player. Recently my official rating dropped low enough to play Novice. Would you consider me Sand Bagging if I played Novice as long as my rating allowed it?

pick the division that's going to give you the best competitive experience. that's why you (should) play tournaments. if you just wanna stack up plastic, let your pdga membership lapse and you can play Rec forever.

That depends on how well you have been doing in Rec. BUT...per PDGA rules, no, you are not doing anything wrong.

Here is where the PDGA system is a little flawed. I'm rated 866. Now, in Colorado, I play in Rec because I have a decent shot at making the top five. I've never won a tournament, but I've got a few seconds and thirds in Rec in both sanctioned and non-sanctioned. The quality of play in Colorado is just much higher.

I played a tournament in my home state of Montana and, again, I did not win, but I entered Rec. The guy who beat me (by five throws, I believe) and I were quickly called baggers because there was such a huge difference between us and the guys who finished 3rd and 4th. If me and the guy who won our division had played Intermediate...we would have finished in the exact same places: 1st and 2nd. It was the guy who won's first tournament EVER, and my first tourney in Montana since 2002. We didn't do it intentionally or to win and extra prizes, but you can see how it could easily be construed that way.

Now here in Korea, it's even worse. For the Korean Nationals, I moved up and played Intermediate. I still didn't win, but even before the rounds started, I was being called a bagger by all the non-Koreans. IMO, they knew they could beat me and wanted me to play in Open so they could take me money, but that's neither here nor there. Again, if me and the guy who beat me had played in Advanced, we would have been 2nd and 3rd, respectively. Now we are doing a league here (The Dragons Lair Warrior League) and I am sitting in third in Advanced.

So you can see the problem is somewhat based on location. If you are in a disc golf hotbed, where there are lots of experienced players, you are probably better off playing your rating. You'll have more fun, and will be playing against people of your own skill level, which is the entire intent of the ratings system. But if disc golf hasn't really exploded in your area yet, or you know the competition isn't quite as fierce, you might want to play up a division just so you are playing against people of your own skill levels. It's kind of a crapshoot.

Now, if you're playing tournaments for fun and to improve your game, it's always a safe bet to move up a division. Even if you get shellacked on the course and come in DFL, you will have still improved your game by playing against stiffer competition who pressed you to play your best.

As has been pointed out in this thread (and many others) the term "sandbagger" is not only used incorrectly, but is used primarily by sore losers or players who want to pressure you into moving up to sweeten their pot. Don't let it get to you.

/rant

Latest posts