• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] The Definitive APX thread

BrotherDave

Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
This seems like a nifty little putter but I've never seen anyone use them to my knowledge. Why is that? If anyone has APX knowledge, drop it here.

A buddy that I play with frequently is deadly with an APX from anything about 100' and in, and is getting darn good out to 200' as well. I know that sounds like 'internet distance', and I'd be inclined to think the same thing if I didn't see it with my own eyes on a regular basis. That crazy disc just locks on to a line and glides forever while we're standing there thinking 'No, it couldn't possibly...' :p

sleepy

What does APX stand for? What do the rims of these things look like?

What does APX stand for? What do the rims of these things look like?
AP stands for "approach & putt." X stands for "we are going to put an 'X' on it so it will sound cool."

Actually, almost that whole generation of Discraft discs had X's in the title...X2, XL, MRX, APX, Xtra, Xtreme, XS, Xpress...it was Discraft's Generation X. I'm not sure how they slipped the MRV in there.

It's been a long time since I saw one, but as I recall it looked like a Magnet with a bead.

Last edited:
I just got one in my misprint package, so far, I love it.

I think three_putt got it right when he likened it to a magnet, pretty similiar in the hand.

Discraft still uses the SPX as their starter pack putter, actually a soft one in x plastic.

The difference between the apx and magnet is essentially moot. I currently use a soft magnet but I like it for the same reasons I like magnets and challengers.

I`m officially posting from my phone at work

The difference between the apx and magnet is essentially moot.
Hmmm...I'm no expert, I just pretend to be one on the Internet, BUT...to me the APX and Magnet were a lot different in flight. The Magnet is one of those freaky discs that you can get to turn easily but still has a ton of fade, so it acts understable AND overstable. The Cyclone and Eagle are like that as well. As I recall the APX had very little fade and a bunch of glide as compared to the Magnet. I preferred the Magnet because, well, because I suck and the Magnet will fade and drop when you miss. The APX just keeps going, and going, and going...

That being said, the guys that I remember putting with the APX used to drain hellaciously long putts with them. You have to finesse it a bit, it will flip if you torque-monkey it. But if you have the skills, it can be a deadly long-range putter. It's long and straight.

Last edited:
My soft magnet behaves exactly in the way you describe the APX. I mean exactly.

In fact i'm getting a super soft magnet from midnight in the hopes it will behave as you describe.

I'm terrible with my magnet from a middling range. I can sink them from afar or up close. Today I turned my magnet upside down for middle distance putts to keep the glide down some.

Wish I'd had my challenger, that fights wind better

As I recall the APX had very little fade and a bunch of glide as compared to the Magnet...The APX just keeps going, and going, and going...That being said, the guys that I remember putting with the APX used to drain hellaciously long putts with them. You have to finesse it a bit, it will flip if you torque-monkey it. But if you have the skills, it can be a deadly long-range putter. It's long and straight.
This is exactly why my friend uses the APX. But then again, he also throws Comets very well, so I guess saying he's a finesse player is a bit of an understatement. ;)

sleepy

Anyone know why the swirls are so special?
I think it was just a different type of plastic that made them a bit softer and/or tackier and has now gone OOP, so the people that liked it back then are now having a hard time finding them. Kind of like how some people swear by the older KC and CE plastics.

Also, what's up Michigan? :hfive:

sleepy

Yeah my APX and my Magnet are VERY similar, but from what you people say my Magnet is more APX like than my APX is Magnet like.

Tons of Glide, have to put a lot on it to get some side to side movement, especially for a hyzer. But I like it.

\/\/

AP stands for "approach & putt." X stands for "we are going to put an 'X' on it so it will sound cool."

Actually, almost that whole generation of Discraft discs had X's in the title...X2, XL, MRX, APX, Xtra, Xtreme, XS, Xpress...it was Discraft's Generation X. I'm not sure how they slipped the MRV in there.

It's been a long time since I saw one, but as I recall it looked like a Magnet with a bead.

Approach and Putt? That's ghey. They could have called it the PAX (Latin for Peace) and with the swirls it would have been the best selling putter among hippys of all time. This is why Innova is the market leader Discraft :doh:

Apparently the swirls started to flake when they got older, hence the OOP.

I think it was just a different type of plastic that made them a bit softer and/or tackier and has now gone OOP, so the people that liked it back then are now having a hard time finding them. Kind of like how some people swear by the older KC and CE plastics.

Also, what's up Michigan? :hfive:

sleepy
I live just a couple miles from Detroit. Bet we play the same courses. Hit me up if you ever need a joiner

I was going to get some, then i got gateway putters because i couldent find any. Then my brother lost his magnet so we went to a liquor store by the course that sells discs, and they had 2 soft APX's :|

I was going to get some, then i got gateway putters because i couldent find any. Then my brother lost his magnet so we went to a liquor store by the course that sells discs, and they had 2 soft APX's :|

Moral of that story, go to the liquor store and you'll get rewarded. :thmbup:

I use an APX as my main putter, especially from 30' out. That disc just glides and mine is a little beat so it annys but so nicely it works well. I love that thing

I live just a couple miles from Detroit. Bet we play the same courses. Hit me up if you ever need a joiner
Will do. I actually live in Berkley, but figured I'd put Detroit in the location box since nobody outside of MI knows where Berkley is. Hell, most people inside of Michigan don't know where Berkley is...when meeting new people I get asked all the time how I like California. :rolleyes:

Threadjack over...sorry!

sleepy

Latest posts